...and what's the deal with nPULSE

Author
Digital Aura
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5118
2004/11/24 21:44:54 (permalink)

...and what's the deal with nPULSE

...I mean cmon...

is this the most useless thing ever? I tried to make a new project using this synth and got nowhere.

Im stubborn, I was thinking, "alright...the bakers gave this to me for free so Im gonna darn-well use it for the drum tracks in my next song".

PFFFT!! I can't figure out what on earth they were thinking with this module? Anyone give me any insight on this??

5 Replies Related Threads

stubacca
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: ...and what's the deal with nPULSE 2004/11/24 22:01:19 (permalink)
    yaya i'm not the only one..

i think it's supose to me some kind of drum synth..
    but thats as far as i can go on it..
    :)

====================================
    | www.stuartsmithmusic.com
    | stuart@stuartsmithmusic.com
    ====================================
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: ...and what's the deal with nPULSE 2004/11/25 00:01:52 (permalink)
    PFFFT!! I can't figure out what on earth they were thinking with this module? Anyone give me any insight on this??

hey DA,,, it's cakewalks version of the Tr-808,,, it's a subtractive synth,,,, If you click any where in the n-pulse then hit F1 ,, it will tell ya all about it,,,, You can create custom percussive sounds,,,,,,,,,

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: ...and what's the deal with nPULSE 2004/11/25 02:24:49 (permalink)
    nPulse is way cool ! Especially the kick drum and hats sounds. The kicks can go real subsonic for some total boom out madness. Try using them with real drums.

The snare sound though is real lame, unless you want a 1980's pseudosnare sound.

Andy
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: ...and what's the deal with nPULSE 2004/11/25 04:12:16 (permalink)
    These guys have got you on the right path with this synth, Greg. At first, like you, I thought the "n" in nPulse stood for "no". You have to rethink the interface as 12 programmable (albeit in a limited sense) individual analog synth modules. Ignore the presets unless you're going for an '80's vibe or hip-hop feel. Like AndyC says, though, paralleling some real drums (and/or Velocity) makes for some cool sounds.

You can even set it to the same port as your melody line, and use the key mapping to trigger a percussive burst on only select notes of a passage. The key feature here for me is the 5 assignable outputs: Disregard the module-type name, and tweak it by ear for a particular sound, then route that through it's own output & effects. For example, take some "Toms/Custom" and ring-modulate them, and send them through a delay line or the Spectral Transformer. Or increase the "Claps" repetions and feedback, and send it off to it's own deep phaser and output. Do something similar with the other modules, routing to different outs, and key-map appropriately. Now you have a whacked-out percussive line to blend in with your mix.

The nPulse is admittedly not a meat & potatoes-type of synth, and is limited in its programmable range. [BTW: When changing key-map or "clap" trigger settings, confirm with the Enter Key.] But once you change your mind-set of it as strictly "drums", some possiblities open up. This synth has a difficult time with carrying the entire drum/percussion line of a song, but it has its uses.
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: ...and what's the deal with nPULSE 2004/11/25 12:32:34 (permalink)
    nPULSE effect not synthesizer.

have a good one
    3Eo
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1