anyone else experienced these problems?

Author
fnord23
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2009/11/05 16:11:38 (permalink)

anyone else experienced these problems?

I got my vstudio100 a couple weeks ago and have been playing around.  Love it so far, with 5 caveats.

First up, I have done the firmware upgrade to 1.19, and am using it on a Snow Leopard macbook pro, but have not installed the snow leopard drivers yet, so this may solve my issues, but I am starting this thread in case anyone else has the problems, and if so we can find the solution here...

Issue1) track focus does not always change on the unit when I select a new track in Ableton Live with the mouse.  For example, I have track 1 selected, I move the fader on the vstudio and the fader on screen moves.  I then use my mouse to select track 8, and the fader on the vstudio jumps to the appropriate spot for track 8.  Now I use the mouse to select track 5, but the vstudio fader does not move, and if I move the fader on the vstudio, it continues to move the fader on track 8, not track 5, even though Ableton Live shows clearly that track 5 is the active track it should be listening to.  This is not always consistent, sometimes it behaves properly (like in the first part of the description) and about 1/3rd of the time it does not work correctly (behaving like the second part of the description).

Issue2) track selection jumps when using unit to scroll through tracks.  For example, I am on Track 1, I use the track select right/left buttons on the vstudio to move the track selection over to Track 3.  It works just fine.  Now I use the track select buttons to move to track 14, the selection moves track by track, but then will oddly jump to an unexpected track.  So it selects track 4, then track 5, then track 6, ...and when I hit it again to go to track 7, instead it jumps to track 2, or maybe track 1, or maybe track 4...  There doesn't seem to be consistency as to why it is not just continuing to track 14, or why it chooses certain tracks to jump to.

Issue3) audio drop.  This happens about once an evening.  The entire audio coming out of the unit stops.  If i turn off and on the vstudio without changing anything else, the audio returns.  I also get this on my digi002 at work when using it with Cubase or even iTunes, and also experienced it on an m-audio Ozonic, so who knows, maybe it's not local to the vstudio? Oddly my old Emagic2|6, built for OS9 and still working under OSX10.6, is rock solid and has never dropped audio, ever.  Sure it's noisy, but dependable; you bet!

Issue4) location of master mix volume knob.  Anyone else think this master volume knob is a bit too in-the-way, considering it is in your hands path to solo/arm/pan knob?  Several times i have been working fast reaching up to solo a track, and my hand rubs the master playback volume, cranking it up way-loud on the way by to the solo switch.  I think in future versions of the vstudio this knob needs to be moved a little out of the way from its current central location.

Issue5) The knob that controls PAN under Mackie Control (using Ableton Live again) has far too fine a resolution, and requires 5 or 6 full turns to get the pan pot to move from center to hard right/left.  Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of this knob so I can hard pan something in 1 or 2 turns?

So... anyone else experience these issues?  Anyone know fixes?  Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
post edited by fnord23 - 2009/11/06 13:33:38

5 Replies Related Threads

fnord23
    Re:anyone else experienced these problems? 2009/11/06 13:27:37 (permalink)
    Update: I did the snow leopard drivers update last night and it didn't fix the issues mentioned above, except I didn't have the audio drop all evening.  So perhaps that one is nailed down...  Otherwise I am still wondering if anyone else has experienced the others?

---
    The Tobacco And Eyepatch Assoc.
    Plasmatron Laboratories Inc. (Ltd.)
    fnord23
    Re:anyone else experienced these problems? 2009/11/12 13:28:53 (permalink)
    Update: put in a ticket with techserv but haven't heard anything back yet.  Will keep this threat updated though once I hear.

One thing I have noticed about the errant track selection though; if I click on a track with my mouse and hit "assign" on the vstudio100 the fader does then control that track, but the unit only seems to remember mappings to 8 tracks at a time.  I can click around the 8 tracks i have "assigned" and the fader jumps appropriately, but click on any tracks other than the assigned ones and nothing happens.  However, hitting "assign" then controls that track, but i am not sure how the unit decides which of the existing 8 tracks it is following to drop.

I haven't found if there are "banks" of 8 tracks which you can scroll through on the unit to control more than just 8 tracks with the fader, so if anyone knows about that please let me know!  It would seem really odd if the unit could only ever remember 8 tracks it is assigned to at any given time.  I want to be able to have Live open to session view and be able to quickly grab a too-loud signal on any track and immediately pull it back, but having to select the track, hit assign on the unit, and then drag the fader maked it a bit too slow for fast reactions.

---
    fnord23
    Re:anyone else experienced these problems? 2009/11/12 16:02:20 (permalink)
    more update!

Just got an email from tech support and they're on it.  I Cc this forum post here for anyone else seeing the same issues

> Issues 1 + 2: I can't reproduce these exactly as you describe in your
    > email, but I do experience the same behavior you are describing here:
    > http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1870510
    >
    > Ultimately, it appears what is happening is that the unit is grouping 8
    > tracks at a time into a bank. When clicking outside of the bank, the
    > message is not being sent to the VS-100. When using the Track Select
    > buttons, however, this is working properly. I am going to log this issue
    > for our developers to take a look into possibly correcting in a future
    > update. I will let you know if I I get any more official info in regards
    > to this.

i agree, i get similar behaviour as I updated in the forum post recently.  I am getting it reacting to banks of 8, but then that 8 not being consistent, and not sure what trigger (aside from hitting the assign button) makes tracks switch in and out of the bank of 8.  Regardless, ideally there would be no "bank" and the unit would just react to whichever track/channel you're on.

I haven't tried to reproduce this in any other daw yet (i use cubase at work) other thank Live.  If I get cubase at home soon (i am planning on it but waiting on hardware that comes with an LE version) then i will try and reproduce.

> Issue 3: I have been unable to cause the unit to drop out. There are a
    > variety of factors that can come into play to one particular computer
    > that may affect audio dropouts, but I am happy to hear that the Snow
    > Leopard driver install has seemed to elliminate this issue for you.

I can confirm that.  no audio drop since I installed the snow leopard driver.

> Issue 4: I too find this to be too high of a resolution and will report
    > this internaly as well.

thanks!  Ideally a firmware upgrade as i suspect different software would react differently to the control message.  It could show up as one of the menu items along with adjusting the LCD contract, etc.

> Issue 5: This is obviously a personal preference in regards to the
    > design of the unit, however we do appreciate your feedback. Ideas on
    > product enhancements and feature requests can be submitted direclty to
    > development by filling out our Feature Request Form here:
    > http://www.cakewalk.com/S.port/FeatureRequest.aspx

...and there you have it.  Hopefully a firmware upgrade will sort out the track selection issue and the knob resolution issue and all will be joy.  Or a close approximation.

---
    fnord23
    Re:anyone else experienced these problems? 2009/11/27 19:26:14 (permalink)
    more update; got this from tech support today in regards to the issue of track selection not staying in focus on the unit:

"I have logged this issue with our development team and am pushing as hard as I can to get it addressed in the next firmware update. This issue appears to only happen in Ableton Live, however I agree that this is indeed high priority. We do have a firmware update currently in the works that is approaching soon, however I have no way of knowing whether or not this issue will be addressed at this time.

I will let you know if/when I receive any more information regarding this specific issue but unfortunately it is completely out of my hands at this time."

I'll keep this thread posted when i hear more details about when this fix might show up for Ableton users.

---
    fnord23
    Re:anyone else experienced these problems? 2009/12/17 18:19:15 (permalink)
    sad to report that firmware upgrade 1.3 hasn't solved the track selecting issue in Ableton live, where the vstudio doesn't recognize tracks outside of it's bank of 8.

---
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1