applying mix settings to different projects

Author
thetruevine
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2014/07/28 04:35:06 (permalink)

applying mix settings to different projects

Hey guys & gals,

I've been using Sonar X2 since it came out; haven't made the upgrade yet as I like X2 so much and have a good work flow happening.  Anyway, a question I've been burning to ask for a while now and finally getting to it.

Let's say I record a single session into various project files synonymous with different songs.  I begin work on the first mix and get things sounding close to finished.  I know want to apply the mix settings to the other projects; what is the quickest way to do this?  Love to hear your opinion!  

regards,

Adam

23 Replies Related Threads

GARYTHEBRIDGE
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/28 07:45:02 (permalink)
    Hi
    It depends what you mean by "Mix Settings"
    If you are using the Pro-Channel to apply the "Mix Settings" you can save each of these per Track \ Instrument and recall them in the other projects.

Gary

Gary

VStudio 700 - Sonar Platinum Producer
    Windows 10
    HP Pavilion 550
    Intel® Core™ i5-6400 2.7 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores
    8GB RAM

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/28 10:32:55 (permalink)
    Assuming that "mix settings" means all the console and processor settings, you can save an entire mixer setup as a track preset. I'd suggest copying the project, deleting all the audio, saving the setup as a track preset, then starting a new project with that track preset. Next, bring the files from the other project into the new project.

Bringing the files over would be simplified if you bounced the various track clips into individual clips that start from the beginning of the song, then use the export function that saves out individual clips.

This "Track Preset" for the mixer could also be saved as your normal template so it came up every time you started Sonar.

BTW I think you'll find X3's workflow is pretty much identical to X2 except for the new comping feature, which is pretty awesome...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    thetruevine
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/28 20:17:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies, Anderton & Gary!  Much appreciated!

You're right, Anderton: I do mean all the console and processor settings.  And yes, Gary: I've already gone through the painful process of saving 'pro-channel' settings individually: trying to find a quicker workaround.  

In the past, I've recorded entire sessions in the one project file which saves me having to do this, but it makes the work flow clunky, especially if there are 3 hours worth of 24 tracks!  Your answer, Anderton, is something I've done before, but again, a pretty clunky way of going about things, but better than nothing!  I just wish there was a way to recall the entire console and processor settings from a previous session and import them into another project.  

Anyway, better get back to it!  Thanks again, guys!  :)
    Anderton
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/28 20:55:33 (permalink)
    thetruevine
    In the past, I've recorded entire sessions in the one project file which saves me having to do this, but it makes the work flow clunky, especially if there are 3 hours worth of 24 tracks!  Your answer, Anderton, is something I've done before, but again, a pretty clunky way of going about things, but better than nothing!  I just wish there was a way to recall the entire console and processor settings from a previous session and import them into another project.  

Why not just mix the first song, copy the project, delete all the files you just mixed, and start mixing the next song? Proceed until everything is done. Then you can re-visit the older projects and delete all the files past where you mixed.

I assume the problem with applying mixer settings is I'm not sure Sonar would know what to do unless you have the same number of channels, same plug-ins, same sends, etc. So if you have a template and bring it up before you start recording, you'd be ahead of the game.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/29 13:32:08 (permalink)
    Hmm.  I am wondering if I can use the track preset technique for a different purpose.

Sometimes I would like to have alternate mixes of a project for comparison (or for live backing v CD).  It is easy enough to copy the project, but that burns up a lot of disk space.  On old automated consoles, you could just save the mix (fader moves, EQ, mutes, etc) to a disk and you could have various versions.

I have often wished I had a Sonar button that saved the mix but not all the audio, midi, and plugs.  In other words, I would like to mix a song a couple of different ways and thenh spend some time comparing them in different listening environments.  Saving the whole project kills my hard drive.  In fact, since I save interim versions for safety, one album folder can end up being 200-300 GBs or more.

(I'm getting way off topic, but it also annoys me that 1-you can't drag a folder of Sonar projects because the path to the audio folder doesn't upate and 2-you can't easily delete a project off your drive because you have to track down all the audio files and triple check that you aren't deleting audio that you need for the new or final versions.)

Konrad
    Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/29 13:54:33 (permalink)
    konradh
    Sometimes I would like to have alternate mixes of a project for comparison (or for live backing v CD).  It is easy enough to copy the project, but that burns up a lot of disk space.  On old automated consoles, you could just save the mix (fader moves, EQ, mutes, etc) to a disk and you could have various versions.
    (I'm getting way off topic, but it also annoys me that 1-you can't drag a folder of Sonar projects because the path to the audio folder doesn't upate and 2-you can't easily delete a project off your drive because you have to track down all the audio files and triple check that you aren't deleting audio that you need for the new or final versions.)

Per-project audio folders address of all of these issues.

Mutliple cwp files can point to the same Audio folder just perform the "Save As" renaming the project file and save it in the same folder as the current project. For Example a project called "My Song" could be created as
    "c:\Cakewalk Projects\My Song". The My Song project folder could contain:
    "c:\Cakewalk Projects\My Song\My Song.cwp" - the raw tracks
    "c:\Cakewalk Projects\My Song\My Song - CD Mix.cwp" - the CD mix
    "c:\Cakewalk Projects\My Song\My Song - Live Mix.cwp" - the live mix
    "c:\Cakewalk Projects\My Song\Audio' - folder for audio

Per-project audio folders are maintained relative to the project file so they can be moved without upsetting the integrity of the project. Deleting the project folder above the audio folder only deletes the project and associated audio without affect any other projects and audio. In the "My Song" example above, "c:\Cakewalk Projects\My Song" folder may be moved anywhere and still load into SONAR. Deleting the "c:\Cakewalk Projects\My Song" folder complete removes only the data related to "My Song".
    Anderton
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/29 15:01:09 (permalink)
    konradh

I have often wished I had a Sonar button that saved the mix but not all the audio, midi, and plugs.  In other words, I would like to mix a song a couple of different ways and thenh spend some time comparing them in different listening environments. 

I agree that would be a great feature for Sonar. Have you put in a feature request?

Also, scook is 100% right about the the "save as" and "per-project folder" thing. You can do what you want to do in that respect with the existing Sonar tools.

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/29 17:33:22 (permalink)
    I don't even understand why you would ever NOT want per project audio folders. Is this just a remnant of old times?
    WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/29 17:52:39 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    I don't even understand why you would ever NOT want per project audio folders. Is this just a remnant of old times?

Backwards compatibility probably.

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/29 20:40:22 (permalink)
    This here idea of overlaying mixes in separate projects was just brought up in another thread. The OP wanted to know if you could simply save the settings of the (mixer) console. 
    A few replies wondered why you needed this. The thinking was every song is entirely different.. Uh , uh, nope somtimes it's the same..

Here's the main situation where this would be real handy dandy... 

A session where a band records a bunch of tunes which are all more or less with the same mikes and levels. Once you've treated song # one, The tweaks will more or less be applicable to the rest of the songs. This is way true for a bed track with real drums and a dozen tracks involved for just those drums.

Sonar really doesn't have a straight forward way to deal with this. Obviously. 

You spend hours perfecting the drum mix and now are faced with 12 more songs?? Same drums, same mikes. see what we is sayin'. 
    Would be so cool to save the mix. Open the next project and apply the mix to the console. Done deal. Now that's workflow....

If you ever owned a digital mixer you would understand what we are talking about. 
    Instant scene recall of a mix, including all effects, EQ and Dynamics. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Anderton
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/29 21:40:54 (permalink)
    Actually I think there are two separate issues being discussed which appear similar, but would require different implementations.

1) Working within a project and being able to try out different mixes within that project, like different levels of tracks, different solos and mutes, vocals up or down, remixes, etc. (Of the two options, this is the feature that I would be able to use the most.)

2) Being able to apply one project's mixer settings to a separate project.

Bearing in mind that I know nothing about coding, it seems (2) would be difficult to do unless all projects had the same basic "structure" of channels, processors, etc. Otherwise a project might try to apply parameters to something that doesn't exist. I suppose the copy could just ignore a target destination it doesn't see, but the setups would still have to be quite similar for this option to be of any benefit.

The reason mix recalls could transfer from one project to another with hardware is that the the setup was fixed. You always had a certain number of channels, buses, etc. The processors were always in the same place on the channel strip. With a virtual mixer, the setup is anything but fixed.

It seems the best workaround for (2) would be to create track templates that you could load into a project. For example, if you have 12 mics set up on a drum kit that doesn't vary, once you get that tweaked up exactly as you wanted you would save it without the data as a template to bring into your next project. If you had to apply those settings after the fact to a project where 12 mics had already been set up and did their recording. then the workaround (although I guess it's not too painful) would be to export the 12 tracks, bring in the track template, then import the 12 tracks. With the "export tracks as individual files" option, that wouldn't be too difficult or time-consuming.

sock monkey
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/30 09:39:07 (permalink)
    They are different ideas but with the same requirement of a mixer that saves a scene. 

For your needs this would still work the same. 

Once again I'll use the way a digital mixer works to demonstrate how it does this perfectly fine. 

You get a song very close and you save the mix and name it. Save it in scene # 30
    You then make a few changes and you save this to scene #31 and so on. 
    You bring the band into the control room and flip through a couple of mixes and agree on the best one. This is pretty standard fare for the last 15 years. 

You are correct that this does not work if the second and third songs have added tracks. It would confuse the scene recall. So this function would only be used when dealing with 12 songs that started from the same template and have not been altered yet. Later once this is a done deal you can easily start adding stuff to each song and make the changes needed to effects etc. 

Example: 
    Make a template and pre determine most of the goodies you will need for each track and add the sub mix / output buses etc. Even determine a bunch of overdub tracks that will be used later. ( my preferred method)  Use this template to record the 12 songs at that session. 
    Now if that same scene save/ recall function is applied before any new tracks are inserted it will work. 
    After all we are takin' the bed tracks which I like to nail down before the fancy stuff starts to happen. 
    Anyhow, worth a ponder, I need another banana... 

post edited by sock monkey - 2014/07/30 11:09:12

Sanderxpander
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/30 10:46:59 (permalink)
    I do like that idea but the problem is mixing in a DAW is done with so much automation and so many different plugins, a new song version just makes sense. It would be pretty much impossible to decide which parts are part of a mix and which are not. Different volumes, sure, but now I need EQ. A different send level for the vocal reverb. A different reverb, which requires different automation. I want to compare a drum mix with vastly different plugin chains. Etc etc.
    sock monkey
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/30 11:07:42 (permalink)
    Read what da monkey said, We are not talking about per song type projects which is I guess what da the majority of folks here is doin'.
    We are talking about the treatment of a group of songs which all share a common bed track. 
    We are talking about recording real musicians, real drums. Remember! That was what we did..
    And when digital mixers arrived we could now save mixes for later recall instead of taking a picture of the desk and pieces of masking tape stuck on the side with channel assignments. 

Oh! and we could also use an Atari to automate the mix. OOk. 

Example of a common bed track template from a basic real musician type session: 

1- Kick
    2- Snare
    3- Hats
    4--5--6 Toms 
    7-8 overheads 
    9- Midi track for later kick drum replacement 
    10- Bass Di 
    11- Bass overdub for later or quick fixes during session. 
    12- Guitar from session- may or may not be kept. 
    13- Vox scratch track
    14-Vox overdubs for later. 
    15-MIDI for keyboards 
    16-20 Blank audio tracks for guitar overdubs. 

you start with having your common go to effects and soft synths inserted in the template. 
    You get the first song tweaked with eq, dynamics, panning and balance, save the mix and then be able to overlay this mix to the other songs some how another. It would be like a global track template I guess..
     This just saved you a lot of fussy time, that's all. We can do this same thing using track templates and saving pre sets in all effects, but with 12 songs this take forever and you could miss something.
    Mr Anderton's idea of deleting song one tracks and dropping in the tracks from song two would be faster, but that sort of scares me for some reason timing wise..

post edited by sock monkey - 2014/07/30 11:18:11

Sanderxpander
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/30 13:46:00 (permalink)
    I understand but again, this really wouldn't work. You can already easily drag audio clips from one project to another, if you want to keep the exact same order of tracks and the exact same mix settings. Just grab the audio from the "unmixed" project and drop it into the "mixed" project later in the time line.

The problem described here I think is not so much having the same mix for multiple songs but having multiple mixes for one song, and I maintain that too much goes into that to expect a simple "A/B" procedure from Sonar. Just save different versions of the song, and have them open side by side if you must.

FWIW, I mostly do per song stuff but I've done a bunch of live band recordings and while you might expect to be able to use just one mix, but really that's just never the case. Inevitably, the drummer will have hit his kick harder near the end of the session, or the mic moved a little, or the guitars and keyboard sounds are completely different, etc etc. I do usually stick with the "single project" layout but am always staggered by the amount of automation and track splitting necessary to get a good sound on every song.

EDIT: actually, you're right, I'm not responding to the OP so much as to where the discussion went after that. For the OP I would say the easiest way is to drag the audio into an existing mixed project.
    post edited by Sanderxpander - 2014/07/30 14:04:04
    Anderton
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/30 15:15:45 (permalink)
    sock monkey
    Mr Anderton's idea of deleting song one tracks and dropping in the tracks from song two would be faster, but that sort of scares me for some reason timing wise..

If you export audio as individual complete tracks, they will all start at the same time (i.e., the beginning of the song). In addition to project backups, I also back up all my tracks as audio (with automation, effects, etc.) using this method. I can then drag them into an empty project and re-create the song exactly how it played back from within the original project. In fact I can drag them into any DAW, and they play back exactly how they played back in Sonar.

Also, you can export broadcast wav files that are time-stamped and know where to go. Just make sure that the BWF import and export functions are checked under Preferences > File > Audio Data.

bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/30 15:31:56 (permalink)
    Anderton
    sock monkey

If you export tracks individually, they will all start at the same time.

Also, you can create broadcast wav files that are time-stamped and know where to go.

This has been part of my work flow for years. I track to an Alesis HD24 XR. At mix time I open a project template and import the files. The files line up fine provided I import them at the same start time. I like the idea of mix scenes. It would come in handy if you track a live show and want to mix each song in a separate project. Lots of good ideas and feature requests in this thread.

Rocky
    sock monkey
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/31 12:33:15 (permalink)
     "Just save different versions of the song, and have them open side by side if you must."

No this would not be what we are after. The idea is to switch mixes while the song is playing. I guess you've never used a digital mixer. You would see what I'm getting at. 

Actually I think a full on multi channel pro tools rig works this way. Sonar is a great DAW for songwritting but lacks to many features for full on studio tracking. Like internal wave editing. 

Anderton
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/31 12:49:52 (permalink)
    sock monkey
    Sonar is a great DAW for songwritting but lacks to many features for full on studio tracking. Like internal wave editing. 

I'm curious what you find you can't do. I do most of my wave editing in Sonar, although to do restoration like crackle fixes I need to use third-party plug-ins. But for gain changes, normalization, editing out clicks by zooming down to single samples, format conversion, etc. Sonar's DSP does the job. 

With 8.5 and its customizable menus and such, I did a version of Sonar that was just like Sound Forge - even had the menus in the same places and the same layout. I kind of did it for a lark, but then I just ended up using it 

Sanderxpander
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/31 13:44:13 (permalink)
    sock monkey
     "Just save different versions of the song, and have them open side by side if you must."

No this would not be what we are after. The idea is to switch mixes while the song is playing. I guess you've never used a digital mixer. You would see what I'm getting at. 

Actually I think a full on multi channel pro tools rig works this way. Sonar is a great DAW for songwritting but lacks to many features for full on studio tracking. Like internal wave editing. 

I have used a digital mixer and I know exactly what you mean. While I agree that such a feature would "in theory" be nice, as soon as you start to think about it it becomes practically impossible. How do you decide which features are part of a "mix"? Just the fader settings? How about panning? EQ? Compression? Bus routing? Reverb? Other plugins? Automation?

This only really works if the hardware is fixed. I suppose Sonar could do it by giving you the same material as a digital mixer - like, EQ and basic dynamics on every channel, and a multi effect or two. But my guess is nobody would actually end up mixing that way because everybody wants to use his favorite plug ins and so on.
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/31 14:08:48 (permalink)

I have used a digital mixer and I know exactly what you mean. While I agree that such a feature would "in theory" be nice, as soon as you start to think about it it becomes practically impossible. How do you decide which features are part of a "mix"? Just the fader settings? How about panning? EQ? Compression? Bus routing? Reverb? Other plugins? Automation?

This only really works if the hardware is fixed. I suppose Sonar could do it by giving you the same material as a digital mixer - like, EQ and basic dynamics on every channel, and a multi effect or two. But my guess is nobody would actually end up mixing that way because everybody wants to use his favorite plug ins and so on.

To me this explains the benefits of having mix scenes. You could have a "save as mix scene" command that brings up a dialog box that lets you choose what to save as part of a scene and what to leave "as is" ( Pro Channel, effects bins, sends, busses, etc. ) Almost like a project template but a more on the fly approach. Project templates could have default scenes that they open with on new projects and then be saved with the project.
    You could have several alternative mixes, save them as a scenes and always be able to revert to any previous version with one mouse click without leaving the project.
    As it is "save as" is cool and you can keep alternative mixes in the original project folder and share the same audio folder but scenes seem like a cool idea to me. Just some food for thought.

Rocky
    Sanderxpander
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/07/31 14:52:25 (permalink)
    If this includes multiple different plugins it will never be an instantaneous switch and in that case you might as well have several versions of the same project the way it is now.

Look, I would honestly love to be proven wrong. I just don't think it's technically or practically feasible at this point in time.
    Anderton
    Re: applying mix settings to different projects 2014/08/02 01:13:07 (permalink)
    So this thread has given me an idea...making a normal template that's a complete 48-track digital mixer with dedicated tracks, plug-ins, instruments, meters set up the way I like, everything...but that loads with most of the tracks archived and hidden. When hidden, track numbers that are shown retain their track numbers instead of rearranging themselves, which could be convenient. Tracks load with their colors, too...

I dunno, maybe this has possibilities.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1