Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2010/12/22 11:53:21 (permalink)

article about speaker ports that may interest listeners

I came across this today:

http://www.hometheaterhif...-into-bass-reflex.html

I frequently see people comment about all the potential downsides of bass reflex speakers as if speaker manufacturers don't know how to make a good bass reflex design.

I kinda think ported speakers are popular because they work so well.

I found the article was a good refresher and addressed some of the popular misconceptions I see repeated so frequently.

I wonder what other folks might think about the article?

best regards,
mike

edit spelling
post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/12/22 15:01:27

22 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/22 14:53:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link, Mike. That's some good reading.

My only problem with the bass-reflex design is simply that it's not flat throughout the lower end of its range. Having lots of bass isn't the same as having accurate bass.

It's a reasonable trade-off for most applications. The design is fine for a bass guitar rig or a PA system. After all, an equivalent enclosure with the same bass extension that wasn't ported would be impractically huge.

I was in a band once with a bass player who built his own speaker cabinet using conventional formulas for non-ported enclosures and a single 18" speaker. It did sound great, but would not fit through the back door of the van!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/22 14:58:56 (permalink)
    :-)

I like that story bit. That must have been a big box.

One thing in the article that interested me is the idea that some designers purposefully boost the bass response by designing the port to do so... so there's a good example where one might experience unexpected things just because the designer deviated from the tradition of designing for flat-ist possible response.

best regards,
    mike

bitflipper
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/23 00:52:25 (permalink)
    The article is aimed at audiophiles rather than critical listeners, or it probably would have stressed the nonlinearities that are inherent in ported enclosures. For casual listening, it's a reasonable trade-off to get more bass from a smaller box in exchange for marginally less-than-accurate bass response.

Of course, as I sit here looking at my ported nearfields and my ported subwoofer, I realize why most studio monitors are ported: these speakers would be 3' wide otherwise, and very difficult to mount on stands!

My Stuff
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/23 01:23:42 (permalink)
    Interesting, but this line concerns me:

Because of this, the output rolls off very steeply, at 24 dB per octave (over 200 times less output per halving of frequency.) 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/23 07:44:36 (permalink)
    Drew, I'll have to re-read that in context but at first glance those numbers seem whacky.

"
    bitflipper

The article is aimed at audiophiles rather than critical listeners, or it probably would have stressed the nonlinearities that are inherent in ported enclosures. For casual listening, it's a reasonable trade-off to get more bass from a smaller box in exchange for marginally less-than-accurate bass response.

Of course, as I sit here looking at my ported nearfields and my ported subwoofer, I realize why most studio monitors are ported: these speakers would be 3' wide otherwise, and very difficult to mount on stands! "

Bit,
    I have often fantasized about creating a regionally based speaker construction business that specialized in very large and great sounding speakers meant for the hi end South Florida mansion market. The idea is that shipping costs prevent all those poor rich people form enjoying good sound... and I can help. The business would be built around a dedicated delivery service so that all the logistics of shipping were included in the pricing structure. I like the idea because you might be able to work with out off shore competition dumping into your market and killing you off. The shipping costs will keep the importers out of that market segment. Of course most of the boat yards in Miami are selling yachts made n China... go figure... so my shipping cost theory may be full of holes. :-)

In any event, seeing how I am predisposed to appreciating all the best that ported design can offer I am sincerely curious to learn more about this non linearity that you speak of.

I understand that the a ported design, ideally, will allow the speaker to reproduce lower frequencies... but with significant roll off. The sealed design may be a bit flatter looking on a response graph but it doesn't even have any low bass (unless it's an ideally sized cabinet with a driver designed to produce low bass) so how is hat really any flatter. The extra bass offered by the bass reflex design is closer to the flat line than no bass at all... ???

So I must be missing something... and I'd like to learn your perspective.

One thing I was looking for yesterday but could not find is credible info about ports and the claim that out of sync sound blows out of them no matter how well designed. I was also curious about the front and rear location debate. I have too many experiences with well designed ported cabinets to think there's noticeable problem with a well designed port... and I've also seen *undesigned* ported systems that had all the problems.

Years ago when my LaScala bass horns needed new woofers I ported the sealed box in the middle with appropriate sizing after I had selected the fresh drivers. Those thing will thump you in the chest at 200 yards... they are like a weapon. I put the ports on the bottom... no one ever knew ;-).

I have a few ginormous bass boxes as well... goodness all that stuff is so big it lives in the shed.

best regards,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/12/23 12:10:53

bitflipper
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/23 11:53:57 (permalink)
    The ported versus sealed issue can become moot very easily: just make sure the resonant frequency is really low. Yes, response falls off steeply below the resonant frequency in a ported enclosure, but if that frequency is below 40Hz, who cares?

Start with an 18" woofer, because the starting point is always the open-air resonance of the driver itself, and that is largely determined by physical dimensions. But at this point you already have an unwieldy size, and you haven't even built a box around the speaker yet!

I am impressed with how makers of compact nearfield monitors manage to get as much bass as they do out of small enclosures and small woofers. But I made a mistake when I bought mine - with their 7.25" woofers - they drop off around 50Hz, requiring a subwoofer. I wish I'd bought the next model up, which features a 9" woofer. The cost would have been the same because the sub would have been unnecessary. That's why I often express the opinion that 8 inches is really the practical minimum for all-around monitoring.

BTW, I use a pair of bass reflex PA speakers for my TV room. Each has an 18" JBL speaker and 100Hz passive crossover. The boxes have horns and tweeters but they've been disconnected. Conventional Altec hi-fi speakers sit atop them to handle everything over 100Hz. Someday I'll replace the passive crossover with an active one and a separate amplifier so I can really do some damage, but this setup handles the lowest frequencies in movie soundtracks, which rarely go below about 50Hz. I have not tested the resonant frequency of these boxes, but I'd guess it's around 40Hz or so.

post edited by bitflipper - 2010/12/23 11:56:48

My Stuff
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/23 13:00:07 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Drew, I'll have to re-read that in context but at first glance those numbers seem whacky.

Looking at it in retrospect, it's true that 10*log(200) = ~23dB

But I'm so used to "20*log()" style dB's (i.e. the squares of the ratio, not the ratio), in which case 24dB = 10(24/20) = ~16, not 200.

But it's possible he's technically correct, as I don't think he defines what he means by "output" (so I don't really know which dB interpretation is correct). But if we are talking about the ratio (rather than the square of the ratio), then 10(24/10) = ~251, not 200, anyway.

As always, I could be wrong...

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/24 10:09:46 (permalink)
    Here are 3 examples of systems that are in common use by mastering engineers (the B&W’s are used in Abbey Road Studios).  All 3 are ported design:

The Wilson Watt/Puppy (2 - 8” woofers in a ported cabinet in what is actually the Puppy in Watt/Puppy).

B&W 800 series

ProAc Studio 100

Speaker designers often refer to the Thiele/Small parameters.  These are how we characterize a speaker for use in designing an enclosure.  Here are 3 classic papers in the field:

A.N. Thiele, “Loudspeakers in Vented Boxes” JAES, May – June. 1971
    R. Small “Closed-Box Loudspeaker Systems” Part 1&2, JAES, Jan./Feb. 1973
    R. Small “Vented-Box Loudspeaker Systems” JAES, June – Oct. 1973

… and here is a wiki link defining all of the parameters along with references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small

The driver and port are 2 acoustic sources and will sum so; presumably there will be phase and listener placement concerns.  The conventional wisdom for port placement wrt the driver is that it should be a fraction of the wavelength associated with F(B) away from the driver.  F(B) is the frequency to which the speaker system is tuned.  For example, if F(B) is 30.0 Hz then the wavelength is ca. 37.5 ft (assuming 1126 ft/s).  Then, keeping the port within a ¼ wavelength of the driver, you will have 9.38 ft for port placement.  That gives you both the front and the back of the cabinet as options.  There are fantastic designs utilizing both placements.  The Watt/Puppies and B&W’s are rear ported and the ProAc’s are front ported.  The one argument I have heard in favor of rear port placement has to do with positioning of the port wrt a mid-range driver.  You also have the option of placing the port on the bottom and raising the speaker up on spikes.

Oh, and sealed enclosure roll-off too.  In theory, the bass response of a sealed enclosure drops at a rate of -12 dB/octave and that of a vented design drops at a rate of -24 dB/octave below F(3) … where F(3) is the point on the bass response curve that is -3 dB below the reference response.
    post edited by quantumeffect - 2010/12/24 10:12:57

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/24 15:12:38 (permalink)
    I think the thing here is that very accurate monitors can be designed and they can be either sealed or ported so it does not matter that much. But thanks Mike for the link to that article. Interesting reading and good to understand a bit more about how it all works. I do agree with Dave though that if your speakers are going to be close to a wall, then a sealed design might be better for you, compared to rear firing ports or passive radiators.

Back in my Hi Fi days we definately preferred sealed enclosures and one of the best was the Britich Leak design.  I think ported designs were perhaps not as good then as they are today.

At the moment I am listening to ported monitors and they sound great. Especially since mounting them on the heavy concrete stands. A lot of low end colouration has gone away and the monitors sound very smooth down there and more like a sealed enclosure now. I can't believe how far an 8 " driver can go down.

Also Dave I am not sure I agree about the lowest frequencies being around 50 Hz in film soundtracks. As someone who has written music for film, one of the oldest tricks in the book is to drop in very low frequency sounds into the soundtrack to create a sense of impending doom. Well below 40 Hz for example. I think theatres are well equipped to handle frequencies well below 40 Hz.  Even 20 Hz is quite noticable and sub bass frequencies (octave down from normal bass octave) are also often dropped in. Some of the FX tracks would go below 40 Hz as well I am sure.

I hope everyone has a very Merry and safe Christmas too.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/24 16:26:53

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/24 21:57:24 (permalink)
    it's interesting the effect and cabinet design have on the sound.. I can only take it from car sub woofers a friend used to custom build in mdf back in the day from In Car stuff we all used to be into.. he'd use a JBL program and another thing to figure out the volume / details needed.. but the size of the pipe for the port as was the positioning of the subs also , how it pushed the air out.

his car had a really small sub box.. BUT the sound was massively loud.. drive 5 cars behind.. and you could hear the thud of the bass (to give yo an idea) . while a friend went for over all quality and the SPL was a lot lower, but the sound itself was more rounded over ALL frequencies.

depends what sorta music you make as well. when I was looking for monitors, I need em as low as possible really.. most things were 45-50 range.. the 824s I ended up going down to 37hz..  others by other makers went low, but couldn't handle the low end bass so well.

even still there is music that goes lower than that in the genre that I'm into.. some of it was so low it could only be pressed to CD as vinyl it would trash the cutter on the lath

just because a lot of commercial music used what 45-50 hz range as standard.. not everything does. My friend does rock / indie music.. and because of what I do he layers his live bass with a sine etc under.

have a listen to the very first prodigy cd "the experience" the sweep if memory serves goes down to 17hz or something crazy (in the song charley)...  and anything that folk like dillinja / capone do jungle or dnb wise always had low and also near clipping bass

post edited by Fog - 2010/12/24 21:58:54
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/25 01:55:23 (permalink)
    Ever wonder how those little ear buds get frequencies down to 30 - 40 hz?..Because it has very little to do to the size of the driver. It has to do with efficiency and balance . A 5" woofer has just as easy a time wiggling at 40 Hz as does an 18" woofer. It's just that larger woofers can match the efficiencies of high frequency drivers with less power when listening loudly in a large room. So if you wish too have a full range system with a 5" woofer you need to lessen the power to the high frequency driver in relation to the woofer...then use them near field, or , double up on that 5 " . It's not about the size of the low freq, driver..but about how much air it pushes in relation to the high freq. drivers.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    quantumeffect
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/27 07:52:53 (permalink)

It's not about the size of the low freq, driver..but about how much air it pushes in relation to the high freq. drivers.

True … but I think it is a bit of an oversimplification.

The choice of a driver goes beyond just size and the use of multiple drivers to achieve a larger surface area like any aspect of speaker design has its advantages and disadvantages.  A speaker is in part, characterized by its free air resonance F(s) and this will be a function of the mass of the cone and the compliance of the suspension (spider and surround), these are analogous the m and k in the equation for a spring with a weight on it.  If you plot impedance vs. frequency there is a peak at the speakers F(s).  The speaker is also characterized by a Q value which quantifies its electrical and mechanical damping.  A highly damped speaker means better transient response and a less damped speaker means a louder response at F(s).  At a given F(s) for a given speaker size and given speaker design, a choice (or compromise) has to be made wrt to Q and other characterizing parameters.  A speaker that works well in a sealed box may not be a good choice for a vented design.  OK, Im’ just babbling but I think the point I am trying to make is there is a LOT that has to come together to build a speaker that has a flat frequency response and accurately reproduces your source material.

Dave

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

SysExJohn
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/27 09:51:10 (permalink)
    All the talk is of ported or sealed enclosures, but what about transmission line techniques. Back in the late seventies I ended up building 6 pairs of DAlines (decoupled anti-resonant transmission lines) using KEF B110s, T15s and STC 4001Gs, not all for me. Bass extension flat down to the mid 20s (Hz). Great for organ pedal and Grand Cas. See here: http://www.tech-diy.com/LS_Articles.htm .

SysExJohn.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/27 09:58:59 (permalink)
    We were looking at guts of two different transmission line speakers in another thread here just last week.

best regards,
    mike

quantumeffect
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/27 12:17:30 (permalink)

All the talk is of ported or sealed enclosures, but what about transmission line techniques. Back in the late seventies I ended up building 6 pairs of DAlines (decoupled anti-resonant transmission lines) using KEF B110s, T15s and STC 4001Gs, not all for me. Bass extension flat down to the mid 20s (Hz). Great for organ pedal and Grand Cas. See here: http://www.tech-diy.com/LS_Articles.htm .

SysExJohn.

Enclosures that employ a Transmission Line design are often used in full range driver systems (i.e., 1 driver in the speaker) ...

... and not to go off topic but the things I was surprised to see coming over to this thread were the magic plant stands.

Dave

SysExJohn
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/28 04:26:55 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

We were looking at guts of two different transmission line speakers in another thread here just last week.

best regards,
    mike

Sorry, I mssed that one and don't seem to be able to find it. Could you point me in the right direction please?
    Many thanks,
    SysExJohn.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/28 08:41:45 (permalink)
    It was just pictures not much talk about the actual design:

http://forum.cakewalk.com...;m=2146353&mpage=6

post 154

post 164

quantumeffect
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/28 09:19:28 (permalink)
    See also post number 157 ... a  labyrinth is another name for a transmission line

Dave

quantumeffect
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/31 08:48:48 (permalink)
    Some photos just for fun:

This was an early venture into speaker building for me.  The plan for the folded horn design was purchased from Speakerlab and was built in senior woodshop (’82) using 2 sheets of plywood.  The driver inside the horn IIRC was a 15” PAS.  My goal really had nothing to do with fidelity … strictly volume!  The “system” used an EV X-over and a Peavey horn and driver on top.  At the time budgetary constraints limited me initially to a simple stained plywood finish but a few years later the Peavey horn was removed and the cabinet was refinished with a wood veneer.  Unfortunately (and I really wish I had other photos of this speaker), this is the only existing photo I have of it and the expression on my face is ridiculous so you get the “head removed” version of the photo.  Note that the corner of the cabinet captured in the foreground is an EPI 100.

This is a dorm room circa ’84.  The turntable is a (still functional) Dual 606.  The plinth is essentially just a plastic box.  The turntable simply sits on springs making the thing very susceptible to vibration.  Again, my goal was not fidelity but to keep it from skipping.  This is the only photo I could find of it … apparently either before I had access to a lever or before I sobered up.  And I do remember using rubber automotive bushings which are not in this photo so I must have made some mods at some point.  Note that the Onkyo receiver pictured was given to my father sometime in the late 80’s or early 90’s and has been in constant operation since.

Warning: I am a chemist by training and have no business with a soldering iron so if you have a weak stomach you may want to avoid the next 2 photos … that said:

I really don’t have a lot of time to pursue speaker building now so I try to do a little dabbling once in a while.  Here are photos of the guts of a recent (2010) project; a pair of Ohm C2’s that were acquired fairly cheaply on e-bay.  The C2’s in their day were one of the biggest selling consumer bookshelf speakers.  The wood veneer was perfect but the speakers themselves had issues.  The top photo is the original X-over and the bottom photo is a reverse engineered homebrew X-over.  I am using these speakers in a system that consists of a 70’s era Crown preamp, an 80’s era Phase Linear (series II) amp and a 90’s era Micromega CD player.  This project is still a work in progress … I still need to tweak the X-over by experimenting with the resistor.

Dave

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/31 10:36:43 (permalink)
    Totally Cool.

How about the Zeppelin Poster? Is it still around or have you sold it for a small fortune on Ebay?

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/31 12:17:25 (permalink)
    The choice of a driver goes beyond just size and the use of multiple drivers to achieve a larger surface area like any aspect of speaker design has its advantages and disadvantages. A speaker is in part, characterized by its free air resonance F(s) and this will be a function of the mass of the cone and the compliance of the suspension (spider and surround), these are analogous the m and k in the equation for a spring with a weight on it. If you plot impedance vs. frequency there is a peak at the speakers F(s).

That is exactly true..... and in practice the F(s)  goes out  the window as soon as you place the driver in a cabinet and place it in a room. That is the function of cabinet design and room treatment. But it also has a lot to do with local reflection/coupling. My point being that the F(s) has a lot to do with the actual system design but very little to do performance after integrating a properly designed cabinet and install location.

" At a given F(s) for a given speaker size and given speaker design, a choice (or compromise) has to be made wrt to Q and other characterizing parameters."

In other words you can make a 15" driver sound like a 3" TV speaker if screw up the design well enough...and conversely you can make a 5" driver sound like a 15" with the correct design and proper monitoring levels. What I think is over simplified is that a larger driver equates to better low end response, but I think that a whole lot more goes into it........most of which is user defined by monitoring levels and placement.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:artcile about speaker ports that may interest listeners 2010/12/31 12:28:20 (permalink)
    I use to work in front a wall of 18" cabinets... 32 of em... we were small time.

I far prefer to work in  front of really really nice 12" drivers that are tuned to go as deep.

They just seem like there are in the sweet spot where as the 18" usually sounded like they were floundering when it really a mattered.

best,
    mike

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1