assigning midi channels to a multi timbral instrument - is there a fast way to do it ?

Author
Synaptic
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
2018/11/18 23:56:58 (permalink)

assigning midi channels to a multi timbral instrument - is there a fast way to do it ?

I have a bunch of instruments (Falcon, Kontact and others) that are Multitimbral (ie they can have discreet addressable instruments within the one plug in via different MIDI channels )

they way I am setting it up is as follows
  1. Create instrument (Falcon)
  2. create MIDI tracks - say 16 - assigned to the instrument that is created(falcon)
  3. manually change each MIDI channel so they increment(MIDI channel 1, 2, 3 etc - either in the inspector or Console)
    • For audio inputs you can set up a series that is incremented but I can't work out any way to do this on MIDI channel assignments
    • using the ctrl modifier on the selected MIDI channels will set them to the same MIDI channel but not increment them.

In Pro Tools there is a hot key to do this but I can't work out if it is possible for Sonar

Chuck

HP Z420 24 gigs Ram:Win 8.1 
Eleven Rack :M-Audio Keyrig: Avid Artist Mix + Control

3 Replies Related Threads

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: assigning midi channels to a multi timbral instrument - is there a fast way to do it ? 2018/11/19 00:32:58 (permalink)
    I am thinking that maybe a CAL script can come to the rescue here. 

There is a CAL command that allows you to programmatically assign a MIDI channel to a MIDI track.  Maybe write a script that lets the user tell the script the first MIDI track number in the series of 16 MIDI tracks.  Then the script can assign all 15 MIDI tracks that follow an incrementing MIDI channel number.

Of course, you can use the add tracks function to add your consecutive 16 MIDI tracks before running the CAL script.  The tracks added in this fashion initially have no channel assigned - but the script could fix that.

The CAL command this script would contain is (TrackChannel <chan> <track>)

Note: the <chan> is numbered 0 to 15 which translates to MIDI Channel 1 to 16

Hope that helps.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    shawker
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re: assigning midi channels to a multi timbral instrument - is there a fast way to do it ? 2018/11/19 01:15:42 (permalink)
    You could set each one up once, then export them as a track template.  Then use Insert from Track template to add them to a project.  I do this for Kontakt and Omnisphere.
    michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: assigning midi channels to a multi timbral instrument - is there a fast way to do it ? 2018/11/19 17:25:12 (permalink)
    +1 for templates. Also, I don't fool with outputs. I just use output 1, and if I fill the whole synth up, then I just insert a new instance. 

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1