audio buzz - firewire??

Author
markxl1
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
2005/12/10 02:33:53 (permalink)

audio buzz - firewire??

Hi forum,
My new laptops' power supply has slight interference which is a pain in the *ss. My usb audio card the Edirol ua-20 picks this up when trying to record audio at reasonable levels.
Workarounds are pulling out the laptop power supply just before a 'take' or in the case of my old laptop remove the earth from the power supply's plug.
I fear that the second option might blow this power supply up (amiloM 3438g laptop),any electronics experts who can help me here before I do something rash?????
I have also noticed that the ua-20 can't handle all the audio I throw at it (crackles at low and high frequencies) so recording hardware isn't as easy as I would like!
One possible solution could be to get a firewire device,do you still pick up the interference with firewire??Any audio products spring to mind that you KNOW can improve the situation?
All help appreciated.
Mark.

1 Reply Related Threads

rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: audio buzz - firewire?? 2005/12/10 03:55:41 (permalink)
    ground loops are notorious for causing these kind of problems. you could try a power conditioner such as a line interactive ups it has to be line interactive not the standby type e.g. utility ac goes through the inverter. there are some other line conditioner products on the market designed for digital audio work stations but i'm not familiar with them they have come up over in the sonar forum though. are you using a preamp with the microphone if so is it plugged into the same ac socket as the laptop if not try that too.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1