audio file not playing

Author
cohee2112
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2009/03/21 22:27:01 (permalink)

audio file not playing

When I download an audio file and press the play button nothing happens. It won't move. When I download video file then the video part plays but the audio won't. What the heck is going on. The rest of the operations work. I am on my laptop which is a Toshiba vista64 satelite a305 series. I also am running the realtek soudcard. The audio files are compatible with the program that I am playing. Unfortunatly the help section is no help at all. It reads like stero instructions. I wish I never bought this program and stuck with my N-Track program. Also I want to find a nice deep bass sound in the drums for hard tecno but the drum sounds are week. Any suggestions to how I can fix my audio file problem or just tell me how to get a better bass drum system. They promoted this music program as if you can do great musical recordings out of the box but the program is cofussing. I have used fruity loops and reason and acid and so far this is the worst one. Easy my butt I am pretty good at learning software and with music but this music creator so far is garbage! I regret buying it and now I am stuck with it! Please help me to love this program.

28 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/21 22:49:29 (permalink)
    Change to MME driver mode.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    GreenEyedIrishman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/22 00:15:58 (permalink)
    And get a firewire or USB interface. I know from experience ( and hair loss) that the Realtek soundcards do not like working with decent sound programs. The drum sounds are there, but you'll want to find them in TTS or another softsynth. The MIDI kicks aren't very deep, that I've found anyway.

Another thing to check for now is the Realtek driver, they just released a new update in mid February. www.realtek.com and get the new HD driver. It may not change anything, but then again it might.

Q6600x3.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, M-Audio 2496, Vista64, MC4-64, Xenyx 802, Takamine EF-349, '63 Granada, '65 Granada, '65 EB-4, MD-100S-12, Shure BG 2.0

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    kine321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 438
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/22 02:35:31 (permalink)
    You need to provide more details. What drivers in MC4 are you using etc...? There are video tutorials on youtube that you may want to check out. Look for Sonar videos which is the same (minus some features) thing MC4 is. Don't throw in the towel just yet!
    cohee2112
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/22 03:48:33 (permalink)
    MME driver? I went into my driver and everything is set! I do not know how 2 set my driver to MME???? And deep base sound?
    cato54321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/22 08:23:46 (permalink)
    At the top of MC go to Audio options,go to advanced,change to MME.

SHS6,.. HP Compaq Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit 8gb ram ,M-Audio2496, Alesis Multimix 16 firewire,Sennheiser and Shure mic's,Mapex Mars Pro series,Ludwig drums,Jackson, Ibanez,Fender,Yamaha and Gibson guitars,Fender London 150,Peavey Mark 4&Line 6-SpiderII, and my fav Hayden Peacemaker 40 tube amp.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=684901
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/22 16:13:09 (permalink)
    What program are you using? I been using MC4 for a long time and I know of no way to view a video and work on the music track..... I think maybe sonar will allow that ... but not MC.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    cohee2112
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/22 16:24:46 (permalink)
    My mme driver is on! it has been on all the time. when i first started the program i wasn't getting no sound at all. I took my computer and my softwear to geek squad and they got my sound working. But i do not know why there is no sound for audio tracks i download. my n-track could play them so what the heck!!! Is there better turtorials then the ones on you tube because they are just the same ones that the program gives you. Which don't really tell you anything. It's like when that guy shows you somthing he is ten steps ahead he needs to start from the beginning step by step!
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/22 20:18:02 (permalink)
    First off, the basic setup between N-Track and MC4 is a little bit different. N- Track is a tad more immediately friendly, but as many of us know it is just not very stable. MC need to have the drivers setup properly for audio to work. it is not a matter of just the sound working, it is a matter of does MC see the audio driver. Go to options/audio and make sure that the sound card is listed as the recording and playback master timers.

Another issue you brought up is the deep bass you want. This is not s feature of any DAW software, but rather a feature of the softsynth you use to reproduce the bass tones. MC is very similar to N-Track in how you setup synths. But you have to have some synths in the VST folder, and let MC recognize them before you can use them. If you are using realtek then you are accessing either TTS from MC or Microsoftsynth GS and neither of those does deep bass like a real bass synth can do.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    cohee2112
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 02:26:17 (permalink)
    Thanx Robo. It finally is now working!!! I am working on a remix of a system of a down song!!! Also I discoverd that the rap beats have a good bass if you lengthen the note out and add efects. I was wondering if their is beats already made like generic tecno beats that I could load first and look at how they are built so I can build my beats faster? I remeber back when i had the music generator for playstation 1 it was a ****en music maker. The problem was there was no memory but you still could make sick original tecno songs pretty well! That program was cool because I could load a generic beat then add or remove parts and make it original. I understand MC is much more advanced so I wondering if there was pre programed beats so i could get a feel of how i can build my own beats better. I already know about the sample songs but i want somthing more tecno. Thanx again, and thanx to everyone who has tried to help you taught me alot and I look forward to picking your brains on more MC subjects!

P.S. is there any free downloads for MC yet?
    post edited by cohee2112 - 2009/03/23 02:32:31
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 08:15:59 (permalink)
    P.S. is there any free downloads for MC yet?

LOL! You're funny! j/k

MC is the entry level program, it only costs $35 for download or $40 for boxed set. they have never, to my knowledge, offered any updates or otherwise free downloads for this program. unless there's some major functionality bug I suspect they will not do any updates on it. for minor bugs they either ignore them or expect you to wait until the next paid version comes out.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 08:58:00 (permalink)
    Yeah.... MC4 is an entry level program as far as Cake's other offerings.... but it is a sophisticated and capable music recording platform. If you can conceive of what you wish to do musically, MC4 can record it.

That said.... you need the proper software synths to make the sound and you need all the other things like mics, guitars, etc.... as well as a soundcard that will handle the output from and the input to MC4. Trust me on this.... the computer's factory soundcard is NOT going to work very well with MC4.

BTW: there are some FREE synths and sounds available on the internet that function perfectly in MC4.... but my first recommendation is get a good music interface.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 11:56:58 (permalink)
    Go to www.creative.com and download the Proteus VX soft synth, if it's still free. Over 1200 sounds, and sound effects with it. You can also go to the Cakewalk site (click the Consumer Software button at the top of this page) and download the free Triangle II soft synth if you don't already have it. It may have been included with your MC 4, but if not, it's free.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

cohee2112
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 12:10:50 (permalink)
    Yea I thought as much. Just thought I would ask. Any way back to my real question. Is there any tecno beats or any beats that are pre made that I can build from. I spent almost an hour trying to write a good beat last night but it seemed so time consuming. I am sure I will get faster as time goes on! Or is there a sick drum kit in MC that I haven't dicoverd or just one that anybody thinks is a gret kit. Just picking some brains. Oh yea I might read some more later but when I import an audio file I want to just use a section then loop that section. I did it once but somthing happened and I accidently erased it so I was hoping someone could tell me the steps again. I understand what you guys are saying better then the help menu!
    57Gregy
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 12:36:31 (permalink)
    Read the help file section on Drum Maps, and Pattern Brush. When using the Drum Map, there are preset patterns you can select and draw into the track. Splice a bunch of them together and you have an entire song-length drum track.
    As for drums, MC can use the sound card's Microsoft GS Wavetable synthesizer for General MIDI (GM) Drums, which are not the best-sounding, or you can use the included TTS-1 soft synth. Those are the drum sounds you have available with MC 4. If you have an external drum machine, or a MIDI keyboard with good drum sounds, you can write a MIDI track in MC and route the data to those devices for them to play. You would then connect an audio cable from the drum box or keyboard to your sound card and record those sounds in MC on an audio track.
    The Proteus VX I mentioned above has lots of drums with it.

Greg 

cohee2112
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 12:46:25 (permalink)
    Thanx I'll try that. I will give you an update on how it works out 4 me! Everyone who has helped me ROCKS!!! Thanx to all!
    Robomusic
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 14:14:23 (permalink)
    Also google free acid loops and you will find a ton of good solid "Beats" as you like to call them for use here. There are some nice drum synths ar KVR that will help this kiond of music.

I'm curious, with the kind of music you seem to like, why move away from Acid linked with Reason, that seems like a match made in heaven for you?

Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 14:46:38 (permalink)
    Or is there a sick drum kit in MC that I haven't dicoverd or just one that anybody thinks is a gret kit.

Nope...I wouldn't put it quite like that..... there is the ability to create drums in MC.... but it's pretty sickly.... not sick...I think...perhaps the opposite of what you mean... in the venacular of the street.

You should check out some of the ones that were suggested...they will cost some money.... but I think they'll do what you need.... laying down not a sick beat, but a righteous beat.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/23 14:53:00

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/23 15:02:36 (permalink)
    Herbie prefers the old skool R word!

Music Town
    cohee2112
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/24 02:34:49 (permalink)
    O.K. I figured out how the brush pattern works now I still do not understand what patterns are in the drum map, and when you say drum map do you mean drum map manager and if so where is the patterns. Step by step please. The instructions are kinda confusing. So please explain it to me click by click. Thanx
    57Gregy
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/24 11:58:41 (permalink)
    Okay. I have only used them a couple times (my song 'On The Beach' is an example), so I had to review the process.
    The Drum Maps will only work if using a General MIDI device to play the drums, such as a MIDI keyboard with drums in it, an external drum box, or the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth. More on this later.
    Open a MIDI track and expand the track pane so you can see all the track's properties. For In (I), you don't need to select anything, since you'll be writing the data with the mouse. For Out (O) select New Drum Map>General MIDI Drums and choose the kit you want to play. Out, Channel, and Bank should all change to read Drum Map.
    Click 'Views' at the top and select Piano Roll. A screen with a grid on it and drum names on the left side should appear. If you click on the drum names you should hear that sound, if your outputs are set correctly.
    Above the grid on the left you'll see a toolbar, and one of the tools looks like a paint brush. There will be a drop-down arrow beside the brush. Click the arrow to bring up the pattern menu. Select a pattern, click the brush tool then drag the cursor across the grid line with that instrument's name. Some of the patterns are drum-specific, so if you choose a snare pattern and drag the brush across the Crash Cymbal 1 line, it may still draw in the snare line.
    Go ahead and do a bass drum, high hat and snare by choosing a pattern for each and drawing them in the proper line for a couple measures. Rewind and click the play button. Does it play and can you hear it? If you can't hear it, we need to get your output set.
    Now, on my set-up, I do have a MIDI keyboard with GM drums, so I didn't have to use the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth. But, I also did it using the TTS-1 soft synth included with MC 4. Instead of using the Drum Map output, I went to the top and under the 'Insert' menu, I selected TTS-1 soft synth. In the MIDI track, I set the output to TTS-1, and the bank was Preset Rhythm GM Drums Standard Kit or something like that. Then when you go to the Piano Roll View (PRV), you may not see drum names on the left. That's okay, just right-click where all the numbers are on the left and click the button for 'Use These Note Names Instead'. A box will pop up and you select GM Drums>the kit you want to play. That should display the drum names for you and the pattern brush works the same way.

Greg 

cohee2112
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/24 14:43:08 (permalink)
    O.K. I understand all that and have learned how to use the brush mode. It works great except for onr thing. Sometimes when I use the gs wavesynth (I think thats what its called) it shows all the drum names in the prv mode but the sounds are screwed up sometimes. Like the snare will sound like cowbells ect... sometimes the drum won't sound at all??? Also when I use the tts-1 the drums don't sound at all. Have I set something wrong? I do not know whats going on, or why my drums are screwed up? So far your directions have been perfect. I just think I either didn't turn something on or misplaced something??? Please help!
    Beagle
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/24 15:21:03 (permalink)
    it may be that the GS Wavetable doesn't have the correct mapping according to what you're entering with the brush tool - the brush tool, I believe, probably assumes a GM2 map and the GS wavetable is GM, so the extra notes may be assigned incorrectly.

I would suggest that instead of using MS GS Wavetable that you use TTS-1 instead (assuming MC4, Edirol VSC if you're using MC3). TTS-1/Edirol VSC are both GM2 softsynths and honestly they sound better than MS GS Wavetable anyway.

if you need help using the softsynth, just work thru tutorial #8 in the help files, or Herb has some "down to earth" instructions on his website (Guitarhacker).

cohee2112
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/24 15:47:29 (permalink)
    The tts-1 has no sounds at all! So I need to know how to get the sound back???
    Beagle
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/24 16:00:58 (permalink)
    are you setting the MIDI/output track up correctly? have you selected the channel, bank and patch info in the MIDI track's properties? did you work thru the tutorial and it wouldn't give you sound there either? give us a little more detail on what you've done and we'll try to get through it.

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/24 16:03:04 (permalink)
    To play midi drum track using TTS-1 .

1. Make sure you have added the TTS-1 into your SYNTH RACK. Views->Synth Rack ( If not you must add it )
    2. Locate Your Midi Drum Track and open the Properties. (Select Drum Track ) Click Track Properties Icon.
    From the Drum Track Properties.... Make Sure Output is set to TTS-1 (1-Cakewalk TTS1-1 )
    Note the Channel ( Usually Channel 10 is used for Drums ).

3. Now Select a Drum BANK ( Select Preset Rhythm ) and then under Patch, Choose one of the Drum Patches.

Now if you play, you should hear Drums coming from the drum track, Provided their is midi data in the track.

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

cohee2112
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/24 22:47:15 (permalink)
    I'll try what TAP says to do. I do not understand what turtorial BEAGLES is talking about, but I have followed most of the directions correctly. I hate to say but this music program seems to be a little overly touchy! I have never had so much trouble with one program before! Also the reason I do not use REASON or FRUITY LOOPS any more is because it was on my old computer that I had to sell along time ago (plus I downloaded it through KAZZA like 6yrs ago) I just got my new laptop recently and best buy is the only store that sells computer softwear in Bend Oregon. Unless I want to spend a ton of money and travel far. Plus MC's way of promoting itself was that it was an easy out of the box start making music type of program... I think they stretched the truth because without turtorials I masterd REASON and Fruity Loops no problem. I'm one of those musicians that loves to play the guitar but that dosen't mean I know or want to know how to build one. With MC I feel like I just want to make music not become a computer programmer. I learn pretty quick but it just seems like when I fix one problem then another problem arises! Anyway, enough ****en I'll stick with it. The funny thing is when I had a playstation one music generator I made some sick break beat and hard trance music with hard deep bass and now that I have more memory and a computer with a professional music program I feel like I am working with a casio. The drums are way weak and I know my computer has great sound, so I am a little confussed. So far I have done everything correct so hmmm! Thanx for all your help. If anyone has a killer deep bass sounding track please send me a sample so I can hear it. josephcohee@rocketmail.com
    57Gregy
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/24 23:49:34 (permalink)
    now that I have more memory and a computer with a professional music program I feel like I am working with a casio. The drums are way weak and I know my computer has great sound

There are tons of soft synths and sound fonts out there, some for free or low cost. Did you get the Triangle II soft synth with MC 4? I believe it's included with it. If not, it's a free download from Cakewalk. Lots of basses in there. Did you download the Proteus VX from www.creative.com ? Even more basses in that one.
    MC has become more sophisticated since I got my first copy in 2002 (MC 2003). Then, the serial number came on the box and all you had to do was resister. My only call (they were providing phone support for MC back then) resulted in them telling me to change the driver mode to MME. Worked fine after that, except the latency, later semi-cured with a better sound card and more memory, but I was up and running, recording in about 30-40 minutes. I only discovered this forum in 2004.
    Which drums in MC 4 are you using that are "weak"? TTS-1? Or the non-MC Microsoft GS Wavetable synth?
    You can always buy audio drum loops and use them in MC, and Cakewalk has some sample loops available on their web site from Loopmasters. These are just trial versions, and there are some restrictions, but if you like Loopmasters, you can always get the whole program.
    Lots of folks use many different drum programs, EZ Drummer, Jamstix, Real Drums, most of them have web sites where you can hear samples, and Jamstix has a demo that you can download and use.
    Your options are virtually unlimited. Of course, some of these things we have to pay for, which in the present times, comes after food and lodging.

Greg 

Beagle
    RE: audio file not playing 2009/03/25 08:40:06 (permalink)
    the tutorials are in the help files. when you first start MC, a window pops up and it will give you options of opening an existing project, starting a new project or going to the GETTING STARTED GUIDE" if you choose that, you will go to the help files (or you can press F1 at any time inside MC). in the help files there are links to tutorials which help you through learning stuff like how to use softsynths. tutorial #8 is the one on softsynths.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1