basic tracks setup

Author
adriane ohno
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2008/09/05 20:37:59 (permalink)

basic tracks setup

hi everyone (and hey mamabear-good to see you again!)
i've done quite a few tutorials, but still need some basic info here. say i'm setting up a new
song/project. i choose new file, normal template. i get 1 audio & 1 midi track, and know i can add however many more i need
(within a limit i'm sure- is it 24 tracks?). is this the point where i insert the softsynth(s)? i'm not clear on this-do you need a softsynth
track for each midi track? i read somewhere that each softsynth instance has 4 audio outputs? if i want the following tracks, how do i set up my
project: MIDI tracks: probably keys, bassline, drumtrack. then i'll want at least 4 audio tracks (2 each for vocals & guitar)

next question: softsynth options: create these tracks -check midi source or not? in that tutorial it said leave it unchecked -because the tracks were already there,
and the exercise was to learn how to route the signal/midi chain?
which audio output to chooses? and enable MIDI output?
after much trial & error and help from you guys,i am able to get all the drivers & external devices working, can record & playback sound, etc. but i've
only been doing little 1-2 minute test things.it'd be very cool to have a video conference for us newbies to learn from you old hands!
thanks,
adriane

Sonar X2 Studio,  Gigabyte laptop (i7 quad-core 2.30 Ghz, 16 gb ram, Win 7 - 64-bit, 128 gb SSD primary drive, 750 gb hybrid drive, Invidia Geforce GTX 2 gb video card, 2 extra exhaust ports (really!), M-Audio Black Box usb audio interface, Akai MPK laptop production keyboard, M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard, Alesis SR16 drum machine,Roland Octopad, Casio RZ1 drum machine,various analog Casio & Roland synths,  various guitars & basses.

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: basic tracks setup 2008/09/05 21:39:05 (permalink)
    do you need a softsynth track for each midi track?

yes - if you're working with MIDI you have to have a softsynth or a hardware synth, but some type of synth in order to make sounds from the MIDI data. until you understand more about MIDI, tho, don't worry about what I just said about hardware synths - you can always learn that later.

i read somewhere that each softsynth instance has 4 audio outputs?

that depends on each individual softsynth, but if you're using MC4 (I've forgotten and that's not in your sig) then TTS-1 has 1 to 4 outputs available.

if i want the following tracks, how do i set up my
    project: MIDI tracks: probably keys, bassline, drumtrack. then i'll want at least 4 audio tracks (2 each for vocals & guitar)

you dont' HAVE to use each of the instruments to a different output - you CAN use up to 16 different CHANNELS all going to the SAME SINGLE OUTPUT if you want. that's the way I did it until I learned more about multiple outputs of the softsynth. it's much easier that way until you get a grip on the softsynths.

insert TTS-1 just like the tutorial explained. you can check just ONE OUTPUT and that's OK for now. then on each MIDI track, choose a DIFFERENT CHANNEL for each TRACK and choose each PATCH according to what you've chosen - i.e. PIANO, BASS, DRUMS each on SEPARATE MIDI TRACKS.

next question: softsynth options: create these tracks -check midi source or not?

If you check MIDI SOURCE, all that does is insert a blank MIDI track for you.

which audio output to chooses? and enable MIDI output?

yes, enable the MIDI OUTPUT, but as I said above, I'd just worry about a SINGLE OUTPUT for now until you start learning more about how it works, then go back and learn more about the multiple outputs.

hope that helps!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: basic tracks setup 2008/09/05 22:21:27 (permalink)
    When you open the project...if you know how many audio tracks and midi tracks you will need...insert them... up to 48 audio and 256 midi tracks.

Insert TTS ONE time.... you can assign up to 16 different MIDI tracks to that one instance of TTS. Don't worry about the outputs in TTS...it automatically sends all outputs to output #1 and (I believe) it defaults to your soundcard as the output. I still have not found a reason to seperate the outputs into the 4 that are available....so for now don't worry about that...it will give you output one. In each midi track you will need to assign each track to a different input channel in the synth. I like to set up my midi tracks starting at one and working up with track one going to channel one in the synth....two to two..and so on... especially at first, it makes it easier to understand and keep track of what is what. ..... but it really doesn't matter.

So...if you have 5 midi tracks..each goes to a different channel in TTS and TTS goes to the sound card.... really quite simple.

If you go to my website at www.herbhartley.com navigate to the music page and MC4 ...there is a step by step in plain English on how to set TTS up and then how to assign 3 instruments to one instance of TTS.... inputs and outputs are all there...just take your time and you will understand it...if not...come back & post again. It is explained starting from a new project...up to getting 3 different patches playing in TTS...to add more just keep going duplicating the new tracks with new patches and channel numbers. You'll get the hang of this real quick.

Midi drums are defaulted to channel 10....so just out of habit I always use 10 for drums OR always leave 10 open.

BTW: I have never used more than 6 or so midi tracks/voices in a project. My normal projects run about 10-12 tracks including 4 vocal tracks, 2 or 3 guitars, bass, piano, drums, strings....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: basic tracks setup 2008/09/05 22:50:25 (permalink)
    MIDI channel 10 is reserved for drums, but you can have drums on any channel, if you want to be able to control each drum's volume independently from the others.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: basic tracks setup 2008/09/06 12:35:15 (permalink)
    Needing soft synths: You can go a couple ways with this. You can use the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth included on most sound card chips in most computers. The sound is functional, but not very good-sounding.
    You can use some other hardware synthesizer, such as in a MIDI module or a MIDI keyboard.
    Or you can use soft synths, and there are several available with MC and other Cakewalk programs.
    While recording my songs, I use the synth in my keyboard (Yamaha PSR-GX76). When I begin to reach an almost-finished point, I start auditioning other synths, TTS-1, Triangle II, DreamStation, Drop Zone, Edirol VSC, Session Drummer 2, which I have, to see if there are better patches.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1