bass drum dum dum

Author
blotchpoint
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2005/07/12 20:06:30 (permalink)

bass drum dum dum

As it were, i would consider the sound of my drum set a good one over all. but when i record, the bass drum is to boomy, wuffy or what ever you would call it.

the set itself is in the corner. not to look cool but to save room, and project the sound inward instead of out to my neighbor's ears.
The mic is placed about six inches away from the port and about two inches off center. ohh... and the drum is bout two feet away from the wall... iam not sure this a good or a bad, as ive tried no other option.

My guess is. there is not much room for the sound to go. therefor creating a "bass trap"... Another problem, the stand for the hihat mic viberates a little to much and creates an extra boom. not too much, but enough for me to notice and enough to overpower the mix.

befor you offer me any advice on moving the kit to the center of the room. remember that i dont have the room to do so...
but i would love any advice at all so please help me out.

thanks .....................................................................................................................................Aaron

fantabulospleefiasco

Never mistake motion for action.
Hemmingway.

8 Replies Related Threads

DrummerB
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: bass drum dum dum 2005/07/12 20:17:09 (permalink)
    Try placing the mic inside the bass drum about 1 1/2 inches from the batter head. Also tighten up both heads just a bit more to give it a tighter sound.

let me know if it works...
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: bass drum dum dum 2005/07/12 21:37:41 (permalink)
    Have you tried putting a blanket inside the bass drum?
    blotchpoint
    RE: bass drum dum dum 2005/07/12 21:42:34 (permalink)
    thanks man. that helped out quite a bit. ive got the mic bout three inches from the head...
    as for the stand on the hihat mic... do you ken of a better stand than a standard straight, mabey a boom would work.

fantabulospleefiasco

Hemmingway.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: bass drum dum dum 2005/07/13 01:32:36 (permalink)
    With all due respect to your neighbors, the kit should not be facing the wall, especially only 2' away...It should be facing the center of your room...Frankly, I doubt that your neighbors will notice much difference (but your recordings will)...

As for the hi-hat problem, a boom attachment wouldn't help...A boom is just an extension of the base stand...Turning your kit away from the wall should help this problem somewhat, but floor vibrations are probably the main culprit...Try using a shock mount for the hat mic...

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    blotchpoint
    RE: bass drum dum dum 2005/07/13 20:58:24 (permalink)
    cheap cheap as the birdies would say... im trying some foam fitted under the stand. umm. well iam gonna try it asap.
    what would you suggest?

iam sorry iam an ass. and vauge and stupid.

like say i dont have much room, the set in the mid of the room would take up to much... but iam just lazy too. . . i ken i should not be when it comes to my sound. when i get some time i will try moving the entire set... thanks for your respones.

fantabulospleefiasco

Hemmingway.
    papa2004
    RE: bass drum dum dum 2005/07/13 23:15:56 (permalink)
    the set in the mid of the room would take up to much

I didn't suggest putting it "in the mid of the room"...I said it should be FACING the center of the room, not facing directly in front of a wall...Logic suggests to me that a drum kit that occupies a 10 square foot area facing a wall will occupy the same amount of space when facing away from the wall...

P.S. Get over the "laziness"..."Lazy" has no place in the recording world and I, for one, have no time to deal with "lazy" people. If you're not interested in at least trying to do things the "right" way because you're too "lazy", then you really shouldn't be posting your problems in this forum...

Regards,
    Papa
    blotchpoint
    RE: bass drum dum dum 2005/07/14 05:50:24 (permalink)
    you are a good man papa.... and very right . my main fuss comes from my apathy. and of recent my thoughts have been hard to collect. more so than normal. like say iam sorry.
    today i will move my ass and the set.... thanks for the insperation... sometimes all that i need is someone of a higher insight to light a fire under my bum...

so here is the thanks again from the bass drum dum dum... ill post again and let ya ken how it goes... if yer interested... till then...

fantabulospleefiasco

Hemmingway.
    papa2004
    RE: bass drum dum dum 2005/07/14 11:48:05 (permalink)
    By all means, do let us know how it works!

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1