ANORMOUS
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2010/07/02 17:02:54 (permalink)

best configuration of my drives??

hello all,
  windows 7 running on dell xps 630i with 2 hard drives and 6gb ram
    a western dig. ide drive of 80gb and a western dig. sata drive of 640gb
     (the sata drive appears much faster, at least throughput)

i currently have these configured as the small ide for my os
     and the larger, faster sata for my audio drive

what cache settings should i use for these? under device manager and policies should i uncheck both settings?
     or check both?

i've read for sata you check both options and on other sites it says to uncheck both??

also, is it best to uncheck index under properties when you right-click the drive?

any suggestions on the virtual memory page file?  some say to set one up on the audio drive and some say disable it completely

thanks for any input!

2 Replies Related Threads

princecheck13
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:best configuration of my drives?? 2010/07/23 09:08:43 (permalink)
    You do not say what version of Windows you are using, but the approach to resolving the issue will be the same. Adobe has a web page which addresses your specific problem, which is not uncommon by the way.

We must be the change we want to see
    kmcm
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:best configuration of my drives?? 2010/07/26 02:11:31 (permalink)
    Under "system performance" it is best to set your machine to pander to "applications" rather than system.  Modern Windows can do it for you, but it takes up machine resources. 

I would still let the drives index - for when you have a "folders panel" seen inside an application (such as most multi-track recording programs) that you are running, it needs to have all files ready to use. Otherwise you will have to wait for your machine to look for it.  The temporary index file that "seeks" during startup only takes a tiny amount or resources, and allows searching to be very quick.  Indexing happens during downtime, and your programs and actions take percedence.

For the paging file, if you have, say 4GB of RAM, then the best preformance level is to set the paging memory to double the RAM size.

Music Creator 5 - Gigabyte X48 motherboard - 4MB dd3 Ram - Intel Duo 3GHz - Windows Vista - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro - 4 x Sata2 Hard Drives in Striped RAID Array - Studio monitor amp and speakers - Yamaha Electric / Midi Piano

Kevin @ Brisbane Australia
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1