best mastering program?

Author
sweatboxstudio
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2009/01/16 19:41:39 (permalink)

best mastering program?

Opinions? What is the best mastering software? Can I install them without having an internet connection?

Thanks!
Mike

29 Replies Related Threads

moosetex
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/16 22:18:04 (permalink)
    The best mastering "software" is between your ears. If you have SONAR, that's all you need.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/16 23:14:17 (permalink)
    Do a search. This topic has been discussed ad infum. One last week.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/17 01:31:06 (permalink)
    The legendary British recording engineer Paul White: "The most important tool is the ear of the person doing the job, regardless of the equipment being used." Any other professional recording engineer will say the same thing.
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/17 01:45:42 (permalink)
    You do need some tools regardless of your ears...
    moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/17 02:08:39 (permalink)
    I told him in my first reply that if he already had SONAR, then that's all he needs, and it is. He need not waste his time or his money on anything else. There is no "magic bullet" -- no hardware, no software, no gizmo or any other panacea that is going to do any better mastering job than his own ears.
    Stevethesearcher
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/17 13:06:53 (permalink)
    Sweatboxstudio-You have received no good advice there so I feel compelled to post.

I dont know if its the best Mastering system but I have heard nothing but good reports about Izotope Ozone.

I believe you can download a fully functioning Demo for ten days which is a great way to try out software and more companies should do it.

I dont have Ozone myself as I am using AAMS but I am definitely going to download the demo at the end of this month when I have finished recording my current song and I am going to master it with the Ozone Demo.
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/17 15:33:51 (permalink)
    Can't really say what is the best... it depends on what sound you like and how well you can use the software. Some of the choices are:

* iZotope Ozone

* IK Multimedia T-Racks

You can also use dedicated audio editors like...

* Sony Sound Forge

* Adobe Audition

* Steinberg WaveLab

And of course, you can also just master audio inside of Sonar (mainly version 7 and 8 because they include the high-end LP-64 plug-ins).

Best,
    Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    post edited by garrigus - 2009/01/20 16:41:54
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/17 16:33:40 (permalink)
    Opinions? What is the best mastering software? Can I install them without having an internet connection?

Yes, they come in a CD or DVD. But before I answer the other part. Can you define mastering for me?? what does it mean to you?? Sonar contains everything you need, except your ears to master songs. well noteverythnig. I thnk the only thing you need is a program that can burn Red Book Cd's.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/17 18:10:52 (permalink)
    +1 for Izotope Ozone, and you may also want to check out Har-Bal.
    robert.t
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/17 19:24:49 (permalink)
    Warning - There is no point in spending lots of money on mastering software if your monitors and your acoustics are very good. I would sort these two thing start first (if you havnt already) before you start buying lots of expensive plugins. As im sure you are aware, to master you need to have 100% confidence in what you are hearing. Most home / semi professional studios are not up to the job. Mine certainly isnt

NB - Have you tried the tools in sonar? The LP plugins are very good and boost 11 is also a great limiter if you dont want much control over what is happening.
    post edited by robert.t - 2009/01/17 19:28:47

Rob

Sonar 7 PE, Project 5 v2.5, Reason 3, Dimension Pro, V-Sampler Pro, Emulator X, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, Mackie Onyx Satellite, Emu 1212M.
    moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/17 23:57:26 (permalink)
    The art of mastering is the art of listening carefully and critically. No hardware or software package can do that. Any basic set of modern audio manipulation software and/or hardware is capable of making all the necessary adjustments to produce a "mastered" recording. But only the human ear can tell you what those adjustments need to be.

After going into and out of this forum over the past 11 years, since the days of Pro Audio 8, as my schedule allows, I have seen the same things over and over and over again. People constantly fall for any and every product on the market that wears the label "mastering" on it. Don't be fooled. Other than the human ear, there is absolutely nothing special that anyone needs to do mastering. It can all be done using any basic set of audio manipulation gear, whether it's made by Cakewalk (Roland), Steinberg (Yamaha), or anyone else. I even know several engineers who still swear by the 10-year-old Cool Edit Pro 2 (the predecessor of Adobe Audition, and they wouldn't even think of touching any Adobe software today). BTW, Cool Edit Pro 2 runs very well under Vista (with UAC disabled), although I don't know why anyone would actually want to use Vista for serious recording.

If you don't trust your own ears sufficiently and send a recording to a mastering engineer, he (or she) is NOT going to make any wholesale changes to your recording. If it needs any wholesale changes (such as noise reduction), then he (or she) will send it back as being not ready for mastering. Mastering engineers only make very subtle changes here and there, and you can do the same thing yourself if you listen carefully and critically to your recording. (It's easy to train yourself to do this by comparing your recordings to commercial recordings and trying to figure out what the engineer did to make the recording sound that way.)

Mastering engineers also spend considerable time, sometimes years, becoming intimately familiar with the qualities and capabilities of the gear they have, both hardware and software, so you are very unlikely to find any of the latest and greatest gizmos and gadgets (i.e., so-called "mastering" software) in their studios. (And if they should have something along that line, then you can bet on two things: (1) they were very well paid to endorse the product; and (2) the product is collecting dust somewhere out of sight and out of mind.)

There is no substitute for an intimate familiarity with the equipment you have, and the more you have, the less likely it is that you will ever become that familiar with any of it.

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/18 10:14:48 (permalink)

Sonar's Vintage Channel works fine for me...
    moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/18 17:58:58 (permalink)
    Way to go, notnat! Did you have to use the registry tweak to get Vintage Channel to show up?

My overall point, of course, is that any good, solid, basic package of audio manipulation software, such as SONAR, already has plenty of tools at your disposal for any mastering task. Not only that, but you also have unlimited opportunities to learn how to use them through destructive as well as non-destructive experimentation, comparison and fine tuning of your audio recordings without having to buy any extra software for mastering purposes. Most of what passes for so-called "mastering" software is just a collection of effects and procesors that you already have in your basic package. All the known ways of manipulating digital audio have been around since at least 1983 (and some go back to the theoretical studies done in the 1920s). Even 64-bit processing has been around for at least 13 years. The effects and processors in so-called "mastering" software are simply different combinations of effects, filters, limiters, compressors and so on that are put together like building blocks, which you already have if you have a good basic package like SONAR. That's what FX bins and auxiliary sends are for: You can mix and match anything you like in virtually any combination to achieve anything at all touted by these so-called "mastering" packages.

Don't let that "mastering" label take you in, as it has so many others (including me at one time). It's only an advertising gimmick to separate you from your hard-earned money.
    post edited by moosetex - 2009/01/18 18:05:18
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/18 19:42:30 (permalink)
    Ozone +1

O3/4 is not a cure all but it's a mighty fine way to start..... as it contains a number of nice presets to give you a starting point.... in addition...it has a superb user manual that explains the art of mastering and what does what...and what you need to know about a function.....

BTW...even if you don't buy O3...go to their web site and download the manual....then read it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AJ_0000
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/18 22:17:08 (permalink)
    As was said before, if you've got Sonar 7 or 8 PE, you've got everything you need. If you don't , I would recommend upgrading. If you do, I would spend the money elsewhere.
    moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/18 22:42:24 (permalink)
    Thank you AJ_0000. I believe that's excellent advice.

And just for those who doubt some of my comments above about how far back the knowledge of digital audio goes:

"In 1841, ... (Augustin-Louis Cauchy) showed that functions could be nonuniformly sampled and averaged over a long period... In 1915, Scottish mathematician E.T. Whittaker... devised perhaps the first mathematical proof of a general sampling theorem, showing that a band-limited function can be completely reconstructed from samples... In 1920, Japanese mathematician K. Ogura similarly proved that if a function is sampled at a frequency at least twice the highest function frequency, the samples contain all the information in the function and can reconstruct the function. Also in 1920, American engineer John Carson devised an unpublished proof that related the same result...

"In 1928, ... (Harry Nyquist) proved that for complete signal reconstruction, the required frequency bandwidth is proportional to the signaling speed, and that the minimum bandwidth is equal to half the number of code elements per second. ...

"... The sampling theorem states that a continuous band-limited signal can be replaced by a discrete sequence of samples without loss of any information and describes how the original continuous signal [i.e., what we call "analog audio"] can be reconstructed from the samples [what we call "digital audio"]; furthermore, the theorem specifies that the sampling frequency must be at least twice the highest signal frequency. More specifically, audio signals containing frequencies between 0 and S/2 Hz can be exactly represented by S samples per second..." [Pages 22-23]

"Although the underlying concepts have been well understood since the 1920s, commercialization of digital audio did not begin until the 1970s simply because theory had to wait 50 years for technology to catch up... " [Page 1]

-- Ken C. Pohlman, "Principles of Digital Audio," Fourth Edition, 2000.

Technology, of course, is still catching up.
    Jamz0r
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/18 23:08:02 (permalink)
    Technically, your comment about Sonar being all you need is flawed, since I consider all plugs to be additional tools whether they come with Sonar or not. And some versions of Sonar do not include most of the high quality plugs you'd need to master your works...even with golden ears.

Also, you'd need a copy of CD Architect or some other authoring application as well if you want to master your works and create redbook CDs with all the text, ISRC and crossfading abilities that many would be looking for.

I agree it takes good ears, and knowing your environment, and HAVING a decent environment, but to brush useful tools aside to make your point doesn't make sense.

Ears, environment, AND tools are needed. But the OP was looking for insight as to which software many might consider as the best tool, be it VC-64, T Racks, or whatever one might suggest.
    Telling him over and over again it's his ears isn't really helping him.
    ...and he never mentioned having Sonar in the first place.

moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/19 05:48:38 (permalink)
    For JamzOr --

You are perfectly welcome to disagree with me all you like, but I don't believe you have read me closely enough.

No one ever said that the new member had SONAR. He hasn't said anything whatsoever about what he has. SONAR was simply used as an example in every case where it's mentioned. Other packages are mentioned as well, including those made by Steinberg (Yamaha), Syntrillium and Adobe. I always assume the reader is intelligent enough to shop around and compare prices and features before investing in any major software and/or hardware gear, depending on what they need, can afford and have room for in their studio or on their computer's hard drive. That's why this fellow is asking about so-called "mastering" software, and so I'm advising him not to waste his money on it.

You may believe all plugs are "additional tools," and I might be inclined to agree with you on that, but plugs are irrelevant to my point. And so is CD authoring software.

I went into a school band hall one time and sitting on one of the instrument shelves was an old, beat-up cornet that was twisted, had grey paint all over it and missing a spit valve. No one wanted to use it. It had been neglected for many years. The tuning slides could not be budged, they were so bent out of shape. But the old valves still worked. I saw a man pick up that old, beat-up cornet, dust it off, sprinkle a little valve oil in the right places... and proceeded to play some of the most beautiful music I had ever heard on the cornet.

It's not the equipment -- it's how you use it.

It may be somewhat of an eye-opener if you should do some research into the number of very big hits over the years (including some very recent ones) that were recorded -- and mastered -- in bathrooms and garages.

You may denigrate the native, built-in components of SONAR all you like, but I can assure you that any edition of SONAR or similar products made by Steinberg (Yamaha), Adobe or any other company is fully capable of producing professionally mastered recordings without buying any other special software (or plugs) to do so. It not only can be done, but it has been done.

And the human ear is the key.

Trust your ear; know your gear.
    post edited by moosetex - 2009/01/19 08:20:49
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/19 06:58:26 (permalink)
    Yeah but I like to operate like Luke Skywalker, except I don't put a blast-shield over my eyes, I put huge ear muffs on my ears so I can't hear a thing. Then I put a hand on each speaker and feel the vibrations. Now that's mastering...all this use your ears crap is for the seriously impaired
    Jamz0r
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/19 12:36:10 (permalink)

And the human ear is the key.

Trust your ear; know your gear.

Words I live by, you're preaching to the choir.

But, you're still not answering the OP's question.
    Why don't you just tell him to get Sonar 8 Producer edition, and let him know it comes with everything he (and his ears) will need...well, except authoring software...
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/19 12:43:56 (permalink)
    If you aren't sure what you're trying to accomplish, you can't choose the right tool. Once you know what you're trying to accomplish, the tool needed becomes obvious.
    moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/19 16:41:54 (permalink)
    My overall point, of course, is that any good, solid, basic package of audio manipulation software, such as SONAR, already has plenty of tools at your disposal for any mastering task. Not only that, but you also have unlimited opportunities to learn how to use them through destructive as well as non-destructive experimentation, comparison and fine tuning of your audio recordings without having to buy any extra software for mastering purposes.

I already did that, JamzOr. Way up close to the top of the thread.

I believe that what confuses you the most about my remarks is my distinction between SONAR and so-called mastering software, like T-Racks, for example, that the new member is asking about, and it may help the new member for me to explain this as well.

SONAR is a tremendous collection of general-purpose audio manipulation tools, which also includes mastering capabilities. Many SONAR users, for example, are MIDI composers who produce MIDI files and never have any need for SONAR's mastering capabilities. Many other SONAR users go for the automation control features used in live performances, so they don't need the mastering capabilities, either. SONAR is great in many other uses that have nothing to do with mastering.

T-Racks, on the other hand, specifically claims to be a "high-end mastering/mixing suite." I could be real ugly and say something like, "My T-Racks disc makes a very expensive coffee coaster; unfortunately, that's about all it's good for." Which happens to be true, in my opinion, but remarks like that are not constructive. I've been trying to avoid specific mention of products like that for that very reason.

And my remarks above about the "mastering" advertising gimmick still stand. I don't believe T-Racks is "mastering" software at all -- it is hardware emulation software. The "mastering" label is deceptive.

So the SONAR package and others like it, I believe, are far more powerful and versatile than any so-called mastering software, and can be used in many different ways that the new member may not realize yet, or recognize a need for at this time, but it also has those mastering capabilities that he is inquiring about.

I have been using SONAR as an example in my posts because we have no clue as to what kind of gear the new member has, if any at all. He may just be in the planning stages, so whether he settles on SONAR or Cubase or Audition or Cool Edit Pro or any other similar package, he can still rest assured that things like specifically so-called "mastering" software are not necessary to achieve his goals, and will more likely be a waste of his resources.
    post edited by moosetex - 2009/01/19 21:34:32
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/19 21:16:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: moosetex

The best mastering "software" is between your ears. If you have SONAR, that's all you need.

Sooo untrue!

Mastering is not only about the audio part. It's the final step before commiting your audio to its final destination, be it Film, TV, DVD, CD, Theater, Super Audio CD, MySpace, etc...

Sweatboxstudio, your question, I have to admit, opens a can of worms of sorts. If you have an unlimited budget, go for Sequoia. Wavelab(which is what I use) is incredible. Ozone is not a Mastering progam, but a Mastering plugin - which is entirely different. If you have the ears, then these tools will get you a long way. Let some others here output IRSC codes and index points with their ears!

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/20 00:04:46 (permalink)
    I couldn't disagree more.

Formatting is not mastering. Formatting is formatting, and there are dozens if not hundreds of free utilities and CD/DVD burners from the Open Source Foundation, government labs, universities and other sources for that purely mechanical part of the job that includes ISRC codes, index points, and any other format or information you need to include, if you don't already have those facilities built into SONAR or comparable package. You don't need to spend any extra money on anything at all for that purpose, but besides that, it's a different subject.

Mastering is all about the music, no matter what format it's in or what format it's intended for. And SONAR and comparable products have an extremely wide range of formats to work in natively, so I don't believe any extra software needs to be purchased for that purpose.

But I do agree that WaveLab is wonderful.
    post edited by moosetex - 2009/01/20 01:05:09
    moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/20 03:02:19 (permalink)
    Comments for sweatboxstudio, who started this thread:

As you can tell by now, there are strong feelings about the software you asked about. Since you have not told us anything about your studio (if any), your equipment (if any), your aims or your particular needs, it is more difficult for anyone to help you with specific information.

There are those of us who feel you need not waste any of your money on "mastering" software per se, but in all fairness, there are a large number of people who believe it is very useful for the work that they do. However, they have specific needs and goals in mind -- we all have different needs and goals and resources. So some things are more or less useful to some of us than they are to others, and for different reasons, but it is all based on needs and goals.

Just because I find no use for the software you asked about doesn't mean you might not need it yourself for some specific reason, need or goal. I do not believe there is any such thing as "the best" of any kind of software, whether it be mastering software or anything else. All the packages are different and some are better at doing some specific things than others, and some offer more choices and features than others. There may be no "best" product for what you want to accomplish, but there are certainly choices and alternatives, and some of them might depend critically on how much money and/or equipment you might need to reach your goal.

So... I believe a better way to phrase your question would be something like, "What would be a better product, software or technique for doing X (specific thing)?" That way, you might find some good, solid help at hand instead of arguments and debates that really don't lead anywhere.

If you don't give us some idea of what you're looking for or need, then I really don't see any point in continuing this thread, especially since you have not responded to anything at all since you started the thread.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/20 16:16:07 (permalink)
    moosetex,

I believe we are actually talking about the same thing: my definition of Mastering includes your definition of formating. That said, my apologies for these differences. You are correct about the original poster. This thread might be just a waste of time...

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/20 16:34:18 (permalink)
    wavelab.

WaveLab 6 - Audio Editing and Mastering Suite

WaveLab 6 is the all-in-one solution for professional mastering, high resolution multi-channel audio editing, audio restoration, sample design and radio broadcast work right through to complete CD/DVD-A production.
    Already a standard application for digital audio editing and processing due to its outstanding flexibility and pristine audio quality, WaveLab is used worldwide by top professionals and audio enthusiasts alike.

Sample accurate audio editing in stereo and surround
    Excellent performance and outstanding audio quality with sample rates up to 384 kHz, 32-bit floating point resolution
    Powerful Audio Montage for simultaneous editing across several tracks
    Red Book-compatible CD mastering as well as DVD-A authoring
    Comprehensive suite of real-time metering and analysis tools
    Top-end EQs, dynamics and effects, with optional VST effect plug-in integration
    Fantastic audio restoration tools
    Support for all standard audio formats including WAV, AIFF, AU, MP3, MP2 (M.U.S.I.C.A.M.), RAW, Windows Media 9, AES-31 Import und Export plus many more
    Support for all common bit-rates 8-, 16-, 20-, 24-bit at up to 384 kHz)

Master Section
    The settings and plug-in chain in the Master Section can now we saved as a preset with the audio file or audio montage. This allows the simultaneous editing of several audio files or versions while retaining all the vital settings in the Master Section.

The enhanced new Master Section now also offers a useful and time-saving new function: SmartBypass. This automatically compensates the different loudness levels of original and processed audio, allowing a lightning-quick A/B comparison.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audioediting_product/audioediting_wavelab6.html

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

moosetex
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/20 20:29:51 (permalink)
    Sonic the Hedgehog:

Your comments are very gracious, but really, there's no need for an apology. There are as many differences of opinion about exactly what mastering encompasses these days as there are people doing it. And I believe the differences stem from the fact that, with the plethora of new technologies and capabilities built into software packages, we have all taken on new chores that used to be done only in reproduction facilities. Mastering engineers are becoming extinct now because of these breakthroughs that allow anyone to do at home what used to be the mastering engineer's unique domain. Most of the mastering engineers I know of today are using gear that they built themselves (they are, after all, engineers), so there is no possibility of reproducing their gear or their techniques in software packages. But they are getting fewer and fewer every year, which actually leads to a bigger burden on the ones who are left. Most of them who receive recordings from home studio enthusiasts complain that they spend about 90 percent of their time UN-doing all the damage the home recorders did to their recordings before they gave up and sent them to the engineer to "fix." Damage control. Another chore for us who do our own mastering? Who knows.

The field is still evolving, I think, and the dividing line between mastering, per se, and all these other chores is dissolving rapidly. It's becoming a "do it all yourself" thing, and, unfortunately, it puts a great many truly talented people out of work, which is endemic of technology as a whole, and not just for the music industry.

Thank you again,

moosetex
    post edited by moosetex - 2009/01/21 03:42:01
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: best mastering program? 2009/01/21 00:59:21 (permalink)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1