cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs

Author
kook
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
2012/04/27 22:37:51 (permalink)

cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs

hi all...i really hope u can help....Im using cakewalk9, m-audio delta 44, and a via envy pt24 soundcard...have had no problems recording but wanted more inputs so i bought a tascam us600 usb interface,,,,cakewalk sees it but will not give me 4 independent inputs it only sees tascamleft, tascamright and tascamstereo...when i tried sonar3 it gave me the option of 4 independent inputs ....any help is greatly appreciatd mike

8 Replies Related Threads

Psychotronic
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs 2012/05/23 15:58:43 (permalink)
    Pro Audio version 9 (and prior versions) only support recording of 2 audio tracks at a time.
    Al H
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs 2012/05/29 08:53:51 (permalink)
    Hi, The "Arm Tracks For Recording" section in the Help File states that any number of tracks can be recorded ... basically limited by the hardware you are using. The Tascam us600 manual states that channels one and two can be set up as mono or as a stereo pair ... same for three and four. My guess is that two of the channels on the Tascam are set for stereo. If that is correct, set them to mono and rerun the wave profile routine. HTH Buzz
    CorpPunisher
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs 2012/05/29 22:25:10 (permalink)
    To AI H:

That may or may not work. I know you can arm as many tracks for recording as you want. What I would be wondering, because I don't know this myself, is whether you can get the wave profiler to "see" more than two "inputs", not tracks.

If what you're saying is correct, that would be very cool and make for a more realistic "studio soundboard" type of recording experience.

I hope kook reads all of this and actually tries your suggestion, and please, please report back as to whether it worked or not.

This is to kook:
    What does the Window's Sound Properties for Record tell you? As far as selecting a set of inputs through Windows to use which the PA9 wave profiler would be able to then recognize?
    post edited by CorpPunisher - 2012/05/29 22:36:15
    Al H
    Re:cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs 2012/05/30 06:55:11 (permalink)
    To CorpPunisher: My music computer has two Delta 1010LT cards installed ... 16 audio inputs and outputs, 2 SPDIF ins and outs and 2 MIDI ins and outs. Pro Audio sees and lists them all ... every one is available for use. It is not only "cool" but is the way you can set up a decent recording studio. To Kook: Have you checked the switch settings on the us600? HTH, Buzz
    CorpPunisher
    Re:cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs 2012/05/30 22:20:11 (permalink)
    Thx Al H.

I only have an Audigy 2 Platinum with a front side bay, but it does have a number of stereo inputs available and Windows does recognize them. The problem I run into with this setup is it seems that Win XP in the Sound Properties "slash" Record control panel will only allow one check box for one particular set of stereo inputs. So maybe it's a Sound Card and possibly Windows limitation I have?

I just downloaded and read the manual for the Delta 1010LT card. From the looks of it the card uses the M Audio software and it's control panel to establish the inputs and outputs. That sounds like a very nice way to go rather than what I am doing. Thx man. I'm definitely going to check that out.
    post edited by CorpPunisher - 2012/05/30 22:56:25
    Al H
    Re:cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs 2012/05/31 07:33:21 (permalink)
    To CorpPunisher: What does Pro Audio see when you run the wave profiler? I looked at the Audigy 2 Platinum manual and can only see a MIC IN and a LINE IN and other specialty jacks for radio, CD, etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but when I looked at the capabilities it seemed to be limited to those two inputs useable for digital recording. You may want to consider the US600 that Kook has ... it looks like a capable unit with 4 inputs. Although, for about the same price you can get the 1010LT PCI card to install into the computer ... that works very nice. I like the way they share the processing load with the computer to allow more throughput and channels of recording symultaneously. To Kook: If you cannot get the US600 to show 4 discrete inputs to Pro Audio, all is not lost. When recording with the stereo channel, pan the inputs hard left and hard right to separate when you are recording ... that should work for you. HTH, Buzz
    CorpPunisher
    Re:cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs 2012/06/01 22:09:19 (permalink)
    Well I have used various Analog and Digital inputs as well as MIDI, so it would seem that Cakewalk can see it all, but only shows what is "checkbox" selected as a recording input in Windows Sound Control Properties.

That's why, after reading a PDF manual on the 1010LT I saw that it uses it's own control panel that more than likely allows selection of all inputs and outputs, whereas either Windows or the Audigy 2 Platinum can only provide a total of 2 at a time for 2 mono or 1 stereo. So right now I run 2 tracks as one left and one right. I then use groups of two other left/right mono tracks to lay down other parts.

For recording with other musicians it would be good to have the ability to patch them in as well without using a mixer.

The Audigy2 has a Line In, Mic In, Aux In (on the back (the physical sound card itself), and a Line In 2/ Mic In 2 shared RCA with a volume control knob (The line ins are stereo), a left and right RCA pair Aux 2, two RCA (one is in , one is out) SPDIF, and one each in and out Fiber Optic, one each MIDI in and out, Firewire, headphone jack, and IR control on the front side drive bay.

I was into both Gaming and Keyboards when I built this PC. As for the keyboards I have, I use a Kurzweil K2600XS and a Roland XP80 workstations. I used to play in bands but now I want to concentrate on song writing and recording again. At my age it's getting more of a hassle to transport gear all over town, but I would like a nice convenient studio that can accomodate a band for recording and practicing.

post edited by CorpPunisher - 2012/06/01 22:24:01
    Al H
    Re:cakewalk dosent see all four tascam inputs 2012/06/02 06:22:03 (permalink)
    CorpPunisher, You will not be disappointed with the 1010LT. I have had my two for 8 years. The control panel is the nerve center for the cards ... everything is visible including the meters for all inputs and outputs (though not all at once ... it is either inputs or outputs but no big deal for me). The levels can be set without looking at Pro Audio ... they are side by side and easy to see (vertical) more like a mixing console. In fact, it is exactly like a mixing console, only electronic. The 1010LT has drivers for XP, Vista and Win7 downloadable from the M-Audio website so no obsolescence factor. I use a 16 channel mixer to control all of the analog inputs and outputs ... makes a neat installation ... easy to find the cable that I need. Good luck if you go that way. HTH Buzz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1