cal on drums

Author
radrad
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2006/09/06 21:02:55 (permalink)

cal on drums

Hi everyone.
To put different amounts of reverb on separate midi drums you have to run cal don’t you?
Any other options or tips?
Thanks,
radrad

8 Replies Related Threads

Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: cal on drums 2006/09/06 21:15:25 (permalink)
    Hi Conrad-

I'm not aware of any way to use CAL to apply reverb directly, since it only deals with MIDI data. However, you can run Process | Run CAL | "Split Notes to Tracks.cal" to split the drum notes to different tracks, send those to your drum module and a bus, then apply different reverb send amounts on each drum track that way.

Depending on what you're using to create your audio drum sounds, there might be a more direct way, though. What are you using for drum sounds?

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    radrad
    RE: cal on drums 2006/09/06 21:30:12 (permalink)
    Susan, Thanks for your reply.
    What you stated was what I meant. A midi drum track would have to be split to separate tracks by cal to be able to apply different amounts of effects.
    For each midi drum a new audio track would have to be created? Is this basically correct?
    I understand the possibilities of send and returns for group effects but this still applies?
    I’ve just started using ezdrummer but also have dr-008
    Thanks
    radrad
    Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: cal on drums 2006/09/07 13:46:49 (permalink)
    Hi radrad-

Yes, you'd have to have separate audio tracks for each drum you wanted effected differently (I think!).
    I’ve just started using ezdrummer but also have dr-008

I'm not familiar with EZDrummer, but with DR-008, you can have one instance and send the output to multiple tracks. You could then put different FX or send levels on each. That way you wouldn't have to split the MIDI to separate tracks first. I'm very hazy on this since I haven't used it in a long time, but I think this is correct. Someone with more recent experience will probably chime in, but if I'm right that should get you started.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    Poco
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    RE: cal on drums 2006/09/07 16:29:52 (permalink)
    radrad,

I used to do it this way (using CAL to split drum tracks out). Do yourself a favor, and learn how to use drum maps. With a drum map, all of your drum data stays in one track, the data representation in piano roll is specialized to be easy to edit (each drum hit is a small, triangular symbol), and you can assign different notes to different MIDI channels, different instruments, etc. When you split drum tracks up, it is far more difficult to see how that crash cymbal hit relates to the kick drum hit (I almost never have a cymbal hit without a kick hit), or how the snare figures into that cool fill you did with toms, cymbals, kick, etc. If you need to effect a specific note, all you do is click on the note on the piano in piano scroll mode, and that note is selected throughout the song. Once you get it figured out, you will never go back. I use Giga drums in rewire mode, and have found this to work extremely well. I assign the same kit in Giga to several MIDI channels, and using a preset drum map I made, different drum sounds automatically go to different audio channels. I find it is not possible at this time to create the audio tracks all at once, due to stereo/mono issues, but if that is not the case with your drum instruments, you might be able to create your audio tracks all at one time after you get your MIDI the way you like it.

Also, I got to thinking, since you can easily mute specific notes in a drum map, I could just use one rewire channel from Giga, and create the audio tracks via muting.

In any case, drum maps are by far the superior way to deal with drums/MIDI.

Best,

Poco

God People - God Music
    Where there is no peace, it is not peaceful.
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: cal on drums 2006/09/07 16:43:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: radrad

Hi everyone.
    To put different amounts of reverb on separate midi drums you have to run cal don’t you?
    Any other options or tips?
    Thanks,
    radrad

Your ability to put reverb on each drum at the sound module level would depend on the sound module. With a drum map (or split notes to tracks cal) you could also use more then one module. However, may favorite way to mix is to bounce each drum to an audio track before I even start the mix. That way it's just like if I had recorded real drums with microphones. I can then add effects and envelopes just like any other audio track. Also, it lets me archive the midi and remove the sound modules to free up CPU. The other thing I like is that I have captured the sound I have so even if I don't have that same sound module in the future the project can always be remixed from where I had it.
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: cal on drums 2006/09/07 18:46:43 (permalink)
    Hey radrad, with EZDrummer you've got 8 separate tracks for your audio drum mix and yes each track can have it's own distinct effect in its FX bin. Just tell Sonar to instantiate "all tracks" when you load up EZD. Then when you've got your drums the way you like em, bounce them to audio and add effects. HTH

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    radrad
    RE: cal on drums 2006/09/07 21:13:46 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the good tips.
    radrad
    Mick
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1358
    RE: cal on drums 2006/10/01 21:55:44 (permalink)
    Hey yoro,

Is there a way to send EZDrummer to 8 separate tracks after you've already loaded it? Thanks
    Mick

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

Hey radrad, with EZDrummer you've got 8 separate tracks for your audio drum mix and yes each track can have it's own distinct effect in its FX bin. Just tell Sonar to instantiate "all tracks" when you load up EZD. Then when you've got your drums the way you like em, bounce them to audio and add effects. HTH

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1