can you guys give me a honest opinion?

Author
drma173
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 752
2012/02/19 15:42:21 (permalink)

can you guys give me a honest opinion?

Hello Again Just made this song 3 days ago Munumento It merengue Latin music mix with techno.
I think the vox is a bit to bright idk,,,,,,

P.S
I know most of the people here dont listen to the type of music I make, Because it usually Hispanic but i like to say
thanks for your time. I been here for at least 2 years made friends like Bobby however he had a bit of conflict
with some people, Im not going to mention any names I think the person who is reading this have a clue who Im refereeing too.

8 Replies Related Threads

dkbender
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re:can you guys give me a honest opinion? 2012/02/19 16:09:32 (permalink)
    honestly??

okay, the beat sounds / percussion and so forth sounds really mechanical, it needs to be organic.

Even though I don't understand the vocals, I would say there is a lack of musicality on how they are sung.

It just goes on and on.  There is no break or breaks, there are no dynamic shifts in the music until the last few beats of the song.   WAY too late.   Tiresome.

To me, regardless of genre, a song has to compel you to listen, grab your attention, pull you in.   This one does not do it.

My apologies for sounding harsh but you did ask for honesty.  I am being completely honest.
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:can you guys give me a honest opinion? 2012/02/19 17:16:57 (permalink)
    I, for one, love Latino music.  I have spent two years of my life in Guatemala, and I have a daughter that lives and works there now.  She listens to this style a lot, therefor, I'm fairly familiar with it.  I've heard several of you other songs, and I hear the progress you're making.  For one, you didn't use Auto-tune on your vocal which means I can hear the sound of your voice for a change (that is you, right?).  You actually have a good voice, but it needs just a bit of polish.  If you're self produced, it can be hard to make judgments about which vocal take to use, whether to rerecord a part or not, and a multitude of other decisions.  Sometimes an extra ear or two can help.  Your timing is OK, and your in pitch mostly, so it is just a nuance or two away from killer.

As for the repetetive aspect of this song, I realize many songs in this genre don't have breaks the way standard pop or rock tunes do.  Often the dance beat is the thing, and songs of this nature change up by adding parts or taking away parts at various places in the song.  Your synth ending is cool, and it could easily be placed in the middle of the song for a surprise and then segue back to the main beat.  The instruments do sound a bit robotic, but that can be too much quantization.  I like the sounds you chose, but they need to swing a bit.  All in all, your mixing skills are getting better, and this song is oh, so close to being all the way there.  You have the mechanics of this genre, but still not the soul.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:can you guys give me a honest opinion? 2012/02/19 17:26:33 (permalink)
    Lead vocal is behind the beat!  
    Needs much more bass guitar and kick for this style of music.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:can you guys give me a honest opinion? 2012/02/19 17:30:54 (permalink)
      I caught a few words here and there...... body ...lips....car..... the rest just sounded like Spanish. 

The beat I think is probably the most important part.... and it's driving all the way. 

As far as the monotony of the vox or chords.... that is probably cultural amd not a bad reflection on the song or style.  

I thought I heard you slightly behind the beat in one part of the song. I also remember hearing auto tune on your past tunes but not in this as Lynn mentioned as well.  I might use just enough AT to bring the notes of the Vox up to pitch..... they are not off by much and for the most part are pretty darn good. 

All in all, a good job....with a little room to improve it with a few tweeks. 

Good to see you're making music in a style that's different from most of the rest of us here.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    drma173
    Re:can you guys give me a honest opinion? 2012/02/19 18:15:54 (permalink)
    Thanks you all
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:can you guys give me a honest opinion? 2012/02/20 07:59:43 (permalink)
    Hi Tony,

Your stuff has come on in leaps and bounds over the last couple of years, you're really making progress. Aside from getting the pitch and timing a little tighter on the vocals, this sounds good to me.

I would suggest taking that ending breakdown and using it to catch your breath around the mid-point, it would help the dynamics of the song.
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2012/02/20 08:00:52

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    drma173
    Re:can you guys give me a honest opinion? 2012/02/21 18:20:49 (permalink)
    thank again
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:can you guys give me a honest opinion? 2012/02/21 18:39:33 (permalink)
    Yea I dig the track.

The main things for improvement is the vocals, not that they are sung that bad but they need to be more concrete and expressive with the rhythm and a dynamic change somewhere would help too.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1