changing pitch of audio without changing tempo

Author
shredder000
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2009/03/18 19:27:59 (permalink)

changing pitch of audio without changing tempo

I recorded an acoustic guitar track and its a little out,i need to alter pitch to get my A at 440.

Tascam us-144,vista premium-core 2 duo,2.0
3 G ram:4 G flash (ready boost)
HDMI 37" lcd tv and lcd 22"
yamaha keys,ibanez-rg 550;kramer,esp,
nylon string acoustic-guitars

10 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/18 19:31:25 (permalink)

In all honesty Chris - the easiest (and best) solution is to tune your guitar and re-record it.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/18 19:33:00 (permalink)
    This will not be easy.... I don't think MC comes with any pitch altering software..... and those that do.... it generally doesn't work to a 100% satisfaction level.

If it was me.... retune the guitar to 440 and record the track again.

Next time...tune before tracking. It only takes a few seconds.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/18 19:50:46 (permalink)
    It also depends how far out it is. For grins, drop it in something like goldwave and adjust it a tad, and see what you think. Still the guys are right it will be a difficult undertaking. My guess is that it will not be possible to move one that little without a problem. melodyne maybe, AcidPro might do it.

Heck by the time you screw around with it for an hour or two you could tune and knock it out.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2009/03/18 19:58:53

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    cato54321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/18 20:12:24 (permalink)
    My number one rule is always make sure your "tuned" before you record.Makes for less headaches in the long run.....

SHS6,.. HP Compaq Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit 8gb ram ,M-Audio2496, Alesis Multimix 16 firewire,Sennheiser and Shure mic's,Mapex Mars Pro series,Ludwig drums,Jackson, Ibanez,Fender,Yamaha and Gibson guitars,Fender London 150,Peavey Mark 4&Line 6-SpiderII, and my fav Hayden Peacemaker 40 tube amp.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=684901
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/18 23:45:56 (permalink)
    Melodyne uno is a vocal tweaker, but it can be used for any single note melody. As long as it is not chords, you can easily align a melody or lead line on the guitar, bass, any horn or woodwing type instrument. And the new melodyne has even more ability, I think chords and duets and stuff like that can be tweaked. Unfortunately, uno is a touch expensive, I do not remember exactly, but in the $150 to $200 range, I think.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/19 01:57:58 (permalink)
    It's cheaper to tune! After all you can tune a guitar, but you can't tuna fish!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    cato54321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/19 07:55:24 (permalink)
    Ahhhh an old Reo Speedwagon reference.Kinda liked that album.....You can tune a Piano,but you cant tuna fish
    post edited by cato54321 - 2009/03/19 07:57:27

SHS6,.. HP Compaq Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit 8gb ram ,M-Audio2496, Alesis Multimix 16 firewire,Sennheiser and Shure mic's,Mapex Mars Pro series,Ludwig drums,Jackson, Ibanez,Fender,Yamaha and Gibson guitars,Fender London 150,Peavey Mark 4&Line 6-SpiderII, and my fav Hayden Peacemaker 40 tube amp.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=684901
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/19 08:12:48 (permalink)
    Melodyne will fix the problems but Uno & the plug in are single note versions only. They work good on vox and one note instruments.... Melodyne does make a version that works on chords... but it is very expensive.

I saw the demo videos and they are downright amazing audio tools...but you can buy a whole lotta tuners for the cost of the cheapest melodyne package.

tune up.... record again.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/19 08:16:00

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/19 09:03:54 (permalink)

You could use Cakewalk's Pitch Shifter if the tuning is not too far out of whack. I'm pretty sure this plug-in is included with MC and you wouldn't have to buy anything. I think this plug-in is under rated by many Cakewalk users. Right click in the FX bin then go to Audio FX > Cakewalk > Pitch Shifter. It's a bit tricky at first because you have to move the cursor out of the Pitch Shift window before it will take affect otherwise it won't work and you'll be wondering what happened. In addition, if you're strumming chords, and only a couple of strings are out of tune, the other strings will be out of tune when you try to correct the intended ones. If all strings are equally out of tune by the same pitch then it should work fairly well as long as you don't try to use an extreme setting on the Pitch Shifter. This should work with both stumming and picking. Make sure the other settings in the plug-in are properly set and I would slide the modulation control all the way to the right for this particular application of the plug-in and 0 Feedback, 0 Delay Time, 100 Wet, and 0 Dry. Also this is only good if you want to change the pitch to the entire track. Using envelopes with this plug-in doesn't seem to work because changing the pitch shift value while the audio is running makes for very unusual sounds in the track.

If you're picking notes and only a few of the notes are out of tune you can edit the audio wav by highlighting the part you want to pitch shift (either one note, a series of notes, or the whole track) then go to Process > Audio FX > Cakewalk > Pitch Shift and then select your pitch. This will cause "destructive editing" but if you don't like it you can undo it immediately after changing it. Editing in this way can be tricky because there's sustain on guitar notes and if you don't get it all it will have pitch jumps. I suggest cloning the track and archiving the original when using this method.

And of course there's always the option of re-recording the track as suggested in the above posts which is good advice unless the person who played the guitar is no longer available.

Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    shredder000
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: changing pitch of audio without changing tempo 2009/03/19 13:57:26 (permalink)
    awesome,! thanks man
    I figured there was one somewhere.
    I found the transpose but its too much of a jump,its like using a kapo on guitar.
    this whole problem is because my nylon string guitar is old
    and intonation is out a little,thats all.
    again thanks.

Tascam us-144,vista premium-core 2 duo,2.0
    3 G ram:4 G flash (ready boost)
    HDMI 37" lcd tv and lcd 22"
    yamaha keys,ibanez-rg 550;kramer,esp,
    nylon string acoustic-guitars
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1