cheapest way to go

Author
ibanplayer
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 162
2007/06/29 14:43:02 (permalink)

cheapest way to go

ok, we have a full band, 2 gutiars, 1 bass, and drumset. 2 lead singers, a backup singer, and an occasional screamer. all we are gonna run through the PA is vocals. how many wattage minimum do we need to get. its not for shows, just for practice purposes

-The Love Panda

7 Replies Related Threads

Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: cheapest way to go 2007/06/29 14:52:24 (permalink)
    It really depends on how many ohms you'll run out of it. 400 watts into 4-ohm speakers is gonna be a lot louder than 500 watts into 8-ohm speakers for instance. If you're going out with only an 8-ohm load then I'd get at least 400 watts even for practices. And don't forget that your ohm load will change with the amount of speakers you're using as well. You can also get gear that will handle 2-ohms.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: cheapest way to go 2007/06/29 14:59:33 (permalink)
    I agree with Joe - somewhere around 400 watts is probably sufficient. And his assessment of the load ratings is correct too. But let me tell you one more thing about all this based on 30 years of experience - whatever you think you can just scrape by with you will quickly outgrow. Here's the typical scenerio: it sounds plenty loud in the basement so it's probably ok for live gigs too right? Probably but maybe not. If you are going to invest, invest in something more than you think you need. That includes channels too. Typically, the cost to bump upwards, is minimal compared to buying something with limited usefullness that you might have to replace or upgrade later. If I'm reading too much into this I apologize. It's just in my experience, bands make these kinds of mistakes all the time and then pay the price later.

Have fun shopping (if that's what you were planning on doing).

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: cheapest way to go 2007/06/29 17:19:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox
    But let me tell you one more thing about all this based on 30 years of experience - whatever you think you can just scrape by with you will quickly outgrow.

+1.

And don't forget some wedge monitors... you'll be glad you did.
    ibanplayer
    RE: cheapest way to go 2007/06/30 13:17:50 (permalink)
    i know its bad, we dont plan on using it for shows, alot of our friends have great PA systems that will let us use for shows as long as they work sound. so this isnt anything permanant at all. its just for practice with a band and maybe live acoustic stuff. i heard that i need 800W. and i dont know much about this ohm thing at all. besides my peavey windsor. its a 120W full tube and it has a switch where i can change it from 2ohm,4ohm,and 8ohm. but i have no idea what it does. what is the deal with these ohms and stuff. and how to get the most out of wattage etc

-The Love Panda

Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: cheapest way to go 2007/06/30 22:20:41 (permalink)
    That swicth is there to output the proper load according to the speakers you have hooked up. So if you hook up a 4-ohm cab, then you'd select the 4-ohm switch position. Speaker cabs will already have the ohms worked out for you unless you build your own. But basically, if you run speakers in series, then a pair of 4-ohm speakers would work out to a total of 2-ohms and so forth. The less ohms you have, the more volume. This can make a difference in tone though. For instance, I would say that most guys using a little Fender combo guitar amp with a single speaker in it will choose an 8-ohm speaker more often than not. They've got a smooth pretty tone with lots of "squish" factor. A 4-ohm speaker will tend to have a much tighter sound with more bass end. The sound is more immediate--really in your face. The metal guys tend to go for those. Steve Morse always preferred 4-ohms too as I recall. PA speakers will follow suit, 4-ohms being more punchy. I don't think I've ever used a 2-ohm speaker in my life so I can't tell you how they sound.
    ibanplayer
    RE: cheapest way to go 2007/07/02 10:36:56 (permalink)
    how about this question. can anyone find me just a mixer and speakers for cheap, that will be good enough for us to practice with. and not cause us problems etc making us get more stuff. ????

-The Love Panda

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: cheapest way to go 2007/07/02 17:24:51 (permalink)
    Search E-bay, or go to lyour local music store, they all sell used equipment
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1