clip editing/deleting w/o affecting envelopes in track?

Author
swingfingers
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 73
2011/03/09 13:03:05 (permalink)

clip editing/deleting w/o affecting envelopes in track?

Does anyone know of a way to delete or move an audio clip in a track without an envelope being affected? i.e. nodes automatically created on envelope at split points if clip is moved or envelope changes into dash line if clip is deleted. 

I'm not understanding why an envelope seems to be attached to the audio clip.  For example, I'm mixing an acoustic gtr with two mono tracks (recorded with stereo pair of mics) & both clips are grouped together.  I'll have envelopes created on both tracks and lets say I want to move a small section of the gtr to line up better with the bass.  I'll split both clips creating the section (new clips) of the gtr i want to move.  After moving the gtr the envelope for one track (not both) of the gtr has new nodes created at the split points of the moved gtr clip the second gtr track has no newly created nodes.  I then have to right click the automatically created nodes delete the nodes which then changes the envelope to a dash line, right click the dash line and select linear. 

I'd rather the automatically created nodes not be created.  By editing the audio clip I'm not implying I want the envelope to follow & it's interesting with grouped audio clips sonar creates the nodes on only one track not both in this situation.  Anyone find a work around for this?  I'd like to be able to edit audio clip placement or delete audio clips without the envelope being affected? 

Thanks for your help,

Sonar 8 Producer, Apogee AD16x & DA16x, Lynx AES16, UAD2 duo, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz, 2G DDR2 Ram

4 Replies Related Threads

swingfingers
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re:clip editing/deleting w/o affecting envelopes in track? 2011/03/12 15:43:27 (permalink)
    Could someone try this and see if my above statement happens to you:

take an audio clip, place a track envelope on the track, splice the audio into a smaller clip & try moving the smaller clip.  does the envelope create nodes at the splice points after moving the clip?

If it doesn't than try cloning that track, group the clips (select clips, right click-create group). now with each track having an envelope, select clips (if they are grouped, clicking one clip should select both) splice the clips and try moving the grouped clips.  are nodes created on one of the tracks envelopes at the audio clip splice point but not on the other track?  This is the situation I'm running into.  then I have to right click and delete all the unwanted automatically created nodes.  Can get very tedious over the course of a mixing session.

Thanks for your help to whoever has time to try this out.

Sonar 8 Producer, Apogee AD16x & DA16x, Lynx AES16, UAD2 duo, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz, 2G DDR2 Ram
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:clip editing/deleting w/o affecting envelopes in track? 2011/03/14 05:13:38 (permalink)
    I think you can delete an audio clip without affecting any track envelopes by using edit > delete (or Control + X) and make sure only "Audio Events" are selected in the dialog box.

Also, if when copying a clip you hold the control key down while dragging your clip will ensure the envelope gets copied with the clip.

Not sure if this helps but give it a try.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    kidjedi
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: clip editing/deleting w/o affecting envelopes in track? 2018/12/22 20:14:59 (permalink)
    Nearly 8 years later, and I still have the same question. :-)
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: clip editing/deleting w/o affecting envelopes in track? 2018/12/22 23:36:11 (permalink)
    kidjedi
    Nearly 8 years later, and I still have the same question. :-)

Try using "Delete special" its magical. (Just uncheck the box that says automation).

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1