comic relief

Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2009/03/13 20:11:21 (permalink)

comic relief

AKA red nose day. an event which makes me proud to be British, for once...a biennial event which is a full evening of comedy mixed with factual reports on charity projects funded by comic relief in Africa and the UK...so far raised over £41 million pounds, if you like, imagine an event in the US earning $300 million (pro rata for population) and you get some idea of the scale...

thanks everyone!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

16 Replies Related Threads

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/13 20:17:30 (permalink)
    Did you hear about the new Octo-mom breakfast? 8 eggs, no saussage, and the guy in the booth next to you pays for it!

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    mgh
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/13 20:23:40 (permalink)
    Robby, the nice part in me is hoping you've just forgotten to take ur medication this evening...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/13 20:51:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby
    Did you hear about the new Octo-mom breakfast? 8 eggs, no saussage, and the guy in the booth next to you pays for it!

I thought that was pretty funny ... I don't think they would get that one in the UK it's a bit too topical.

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

mgh
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/13 20:54:04 (permalink)
    something to do with octuplets born post-IVF? i give up.

anyhow, now at £54 million - that's nearly a pound for every man woman and child in the UK!

MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/13 21:02:13 (permalink)
    Yeah.. did that make the news there??

The mother now has 14 kids and no job... don't know who paid for the healthcare (sounds like she should move to Liverpool) ... Doh

(I heard she uses Home Studio 6 XL)

it's a joke, red nose day remember!
    post edited by MemphisJo - 2009/03/13 22:34:56

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/13 21:52:39 (permalink)
    Mark - I understand your 'pride' in what Comic Relief does, but I'm afraid I cannot share your enthusiasm.

First off, the 'Comic' part of tonight's show has been completely atrocious - by far the weakest I can remember, complete sh1te so far. And why the swearing - did you watch Catherine Tate - what on earth was she thinking.

OK, I appreciate the comedy isn't the point - the point is to raise awareness and raise money.

I'm afraid the sight of celebrities weeping into a camera (did you see Fern?) hoping to ram the point home just turns my stomach.

Remember these people are seriously rich and the fact that they are lucky enough to be able to spend weeks in Africa (because they don't have to actually go to work) fills me with even more nausea.

What really winds me up is that these people are doing their level best to make me feel at best emotionally pressured, and at worse, guilty, if I don't contribute. I wonder what they contribute, other than their so called valuable time?

Even if it's a generous wad, I assume it's something they can probably write off against tax or whatever and probably just a small fraction of what half the hypocritic b******s spend on drugs every week.

So Comic Relief has raised £50,000,000 so far - Alan Sugar has done his part with the apprentice thing but he's worth £800,000,000 - he could double that figure out of his own pocket and not even miss it! Extreme example I know but you get my point.

As for all these wonderful projects in the UK that benefit from the money raised, I ask the question why aren't they funded by the government (i.e. the tax payer) - I'm sure all the folk that happily stump up would be happy to pay an extra penny in the pound on Income Tax to furnish these good causes with money?

Anyway, sorry to rant Mark, I'm certainly not having a pop at you mate - I just get sickened by the whole sycophantic, self-congratulatory back-slapping and patronising spectacle that seems to get more 'in your face' and cheesier every year that goes by.

Still, it works - I just bough quite a few mosquito nets.

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2009/03/13 22:00:06

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/13 22:26:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

Alan Sugar has done his part with the apprentice thing but he's worth £800,000,000 - he could double that figure out of his own pocket and not even miss it! Extreme example I know but you get my point.

he was worth that, but not any more probably

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161364/Roman-Abramovich-3billion-credit-crunch-cuts-worlds-biggest-fortunes-quarter.html

I didn't watch it this year. , but what with people getting £700k+ pensions a year, while their company they were supposidly managing has massive losses... certain rich people paying less tax than their cleaners on £3 ($6) an hour etc.

yep it's nice they are doing something for charity, I don't think anyone would argue.

and yep you get a nice deduction if you donate to charity. It makes sense to do that anyway IF you had that amount of money in the bank.

godino
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/14 04:53:37 (permalink)
    Mark - I understand your 'pride' in what Comic Relief does, but I'm afraid I cannot share your enthusiasm.

First off, the 'Comic' part of tonight's show has been completely atrocious - by far the weakest I can remember, complete sh1te so far. And why the swearing - did you watch Catherine Tate - what on earth was she thinking.

OK, I appreciate the comedy isn't the point - the point is to raise awareness and raise money.

I'm afraid the sight of celebrities weeping into a camera (did you see Fern?) hoping to ram the point home just turns my stomach.

Remember these people are seriously rich and the fact that they are lucky enough to be able to spend weeks in Africa (because they don't have to actually go to work) fills me with even more nausea.

What really winds me up is that these people are doing their level best to make me feel at best emotionally pressured, and at worse, guilty, if I don't contribute. I wonder what they contribute, other than their so called valuable time?

Even if it's a generous wad, I assume it's something they can probably write off against tax or whatever and probably just a small fraction of what half the hypocritic b******s spend on drugs every week.

So Comic Relief has raised £50,000,000 so far - Alan Sugar has done his part with the apprentice thing but he's worth £800,000,000 - he could double that figure out of his own pocket and not even miss it! Extreme example I know but you get my point.

As for all these wonderful projects in the UK that benefit from the money raised, I ask the question why aren't they funded by the government (i.e. the tax payer) - I'm sure all the folk that happily stump up would be happy to pay an extra penny in the pound on Income Tax to furnish these good causes with money?

Anyway, sorry to rant Mark, I'm certainly not having a pop at you mate - I just get sickened by the whole sycophantic, self-congratulatory back-slapping and patronising spectacle that seems to get more 'in your face' and cheesier every year that goes by.

Still, it works - I just bough quite a few mosquito nets.

+1
    We donate - but I can't stand watching the programme for the same reasons as Steve.
    Perhaps if the entire programme was run by the people who work for the relief agencies or/and the people who will benefit from the money - it would be more geunine
    Perhaps not as professional - but more real
    I know people want to be entertained, (after all a full evening of reality is hard to take) so you could still have the programme intersperced with "comic relief" or "drama" bits - just leave out the '1 day a year I get really upset - wheres my next gig' celebs

Anyway thats my two penny worth
    post edited by godino - 2009/03/14 05:01:18

gordo

Sonar Platinum - intel I7 7700K - Windows 10 home 64 bit - focusrite 214i -  Roland Guitar Synth GR55 - Maschine Mk3 - Oxygen8 keyboard - Guitars basses etc
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/14 05:29:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

First off, the 'Comic' part of tonight's show has been completely atrocious - by far the weakest I can remember

With you there Steve..what on earth does anyone see in that 'Little Britain' stuff? We used to come up with funnier sketches when I was in primary school. I like Mitchell & Webb, Armstrong & Miller, but I couldn't sit through anymore of it after 9pm. Abysmal.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/14 05:48:12 (permalink)
    I watched it because the kids wanted to (honest!), but for me while some of the comedy was a bit lame, it was worth it just for Jack Dee in the Apprentice and his boardroom line "Sir Alan, if you're in the mood for firing people, can I suggest the person who counts the chairs? . . . I've been in here twice and I haven't had a chair either time"

I think you had to be there, but brilliant dour humour and comedy timing . . .

but WOW 50+ million raised, that is pretty incredible!
    mgh
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/14 05:56:22 (permalink)
    woah well i agree with some of what you say, i gotta say the 'Smithy' sketch where he gets into the England football team was hilarious...JT, missing a penalty and then blubbing, what was that about...and JT's face, he would have killed him if he could! but yeah Little Britain is rubbish. I liked the Catherine Tate thing though...the point is it gets people who otherwise would not donate to anything to donate a little something, right?

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/14 08:29:00 (permalink)
    Absolutely Mark, 57 million quid in one night is an incredible achievement. I hope it gets through to the right people.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/14 09:48:37 (permalink)

Maybe I was a bit harsh on the 'charity' aspect, I don't know.

But I don't think I really laughed properly once - and Cliff & The Young Ones didn't even get a mention in the best music moments... maybe I'm just getting old and cynical.

I think where a lot of modern 'comedy' differs from older stuff is in the quality of the writing - most of the Little Britain / Armstrong & Miller sketches seem to be nothing new at all, but just find the characters doing something different each week, think of the abysmally boring ongoing saga of Matt Lucas in the wheelchair and the pathetic Armstrong/Miller pilots talking 'street' to each other.

Did you watch 'The Royle Family' at Christmas? Maybe with the exeption of the re-run of the Morecambe & Wise 1975 Christmas Show it was by far the funniest thing on over the festive period - and all down to decent writing and decent characterizations of the cast.

I know she writes a lot of the stuff, but Caroline Aherne gave herself the best line in "Christmas isn't really for kids is it" and the best bit when her and Dave served the Cup-O-Soups at their Christmas dinner... priceless.

Anyway, the funniest thing on TV in ages was, in my honest opinion, 'Father Ted' - now that was how to write comedy. Would you be having a nice cup of tea? Dermot Morgan RIP.

Live update: Ahhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggg - I've just switched on the goggle box in anticipation of this afternoon's Six Nations and what am I confronted by? Chris Moyles taking a dump in a tent half way up Kilimanjaro!! Sheesh, I'd happily buy a mosquito net and smother him with it.

Who really cares about these spoilt pillocks climbing a big hill? And the music ... or should I say musak - pass the chunder bag please.

"Drink .... Arse .... Feck .... Girls ...."

Especially 'Drink'

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/14 11:20:52 (permalink)
    I hope it gets through to the right people.

Problem is, it hardly ever does. There's a growing number of people - African people - saying it's actually doing more harm than good, despite all the good intentions:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/dead-aid-by-dambisa-moyo-1519875.html

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/14 12:25:55 (permalink)
    there was a show in the UK about where the aid for other countries goes, was about sierra leone a while back.

people were selling things in shops over there that had "not for sale" clearly written on them.. amongst other things..

you'd like to think people would get the stuff, but there is always someone somewhere that see nothing wrong with profiting off such things

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: comic relief 2009/03/14 17:11:03 (permalink)
    I'm all for directly helping people in distress though charity, although I am very suspicious of the charity "industry" - There are many people who earn a handsome living out of it.

I would like to see a lot more however from our governments putting pressure on foreign governments to bring them to account for the wholesale robbery of their people, otherwise I fear much of our hard earned charitable contributions go into a black hole that eventually ends up as gaudy palaces, weapons stockpiles and swiss banks accounts run by the dictators who are solely responsible for the penury of their own, beleaguered people

Peace Love and Understanding

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1