compatibility with windows 7

Author
Paresh K
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
2012/05/14 19:02:09 (permalink)

compatibility with windows 7

Hi - I'm still running an OLD GT Pro version. I love it because the work flow is so fast. I'm sure it won't be compatible when I finally have to upgrade. Does that mean I will loose all my work? I read some old posts & will try compatibility mode, but if that doesn't work...? What's the easiest to learn recording software that will be compatible - Sonar LE? Home studio is discontinued I think. Thanks.

Paresh - Sonar X1 Producer Windows XP x32 Dell Inspiron E 1705 Edirol UA-5 interface WDM driver

6 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:compatibility with windows 7 2012/05/15 08:51:52 (permalink)

Hi there Paresh, long time no see! How's it going my friend?

I'm running Windows 7 (64bit) here, so if you remind me which version of Guitar Tracks Pro you're using, I'll install it on my system for you to see if it runs straight out the box, or in compatibility mode, or not at all (I still have my installation discs for GTPro2 and GTPro3).

If you need to upgrade or are just thinking about it, maybe check out Cakewalk's excellent X1 range HERE; the entry level version of this current software is SONAR X1 Essentials - check it out HERE.

Just remember if you do decide to upgrade at any time, all the SONAR software can be downloaded direct from the Cakewalk Store - HERE - and providing you've got your version of GTPro registered, you will get a decent discount as a registered user, in some cases a lot cheaper than the 'normal' price. If you haven't already registered GTPro, it's not too late, just create an Account HERE and then follow the links to Register New Gear.

In any case, let me know which version of GT you're running first and I'll test that out for you.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Paresh K
    Re:compatibility with windows 7 2012/05/15 14:14:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve! I use GT Pro 2 but also have GT Pro 3 installed & for some reason that lets me run 3rd party vst's in GT 2.? I hate to give up the fast workflow of GT 2 but I know the day will come, depending on what you find out if you try loading it. Thanks Steve.
    SteveStrummerUK
    Re:compatibility with windows 7 2012/05/16 07:14:58 (permalink)

Hi Paresh

I've just installed both GTPro2 and GTPro3 and they're both running fine! I didn't even need to use Compatibility Mode on either of them. Obviously everybody's system is different so it's no guarantee that they will run for you, but at least it shows that it can be done. If anything, I've found Windows 7 to be a lot better at running older programs than Vista - if I remember correctly, I had to run both GTPro 2 and 3 in Compatibility Mode on my old Vista PC.

The most likely reason that you need GT3 installed to use 3rd party VSTs in GT2 is because GT3 includes the Cakewalk VST Adapter (which scans your plug-in folders and makes them available to use) whereas GT2 doesn't. As long as GT2 is using the VST folders scanned by the Adapter, you will be able to access the plug-ins in there.

Hope that helps you Paresh.

Paresh K
    Re:compatibility with windows 7 2012/05/16 14:26:01 (permalink)
    Excellent!! thanks Steve! one more question - I will dnload the Sonar essentials trial & see what i can do with it. Looks like home studio is discontinued...Does GT 4 have anything to offer? Thanks again.
    SteveStrummerUK
    Re:compatibility with windows 7 2012/05/16 14:49:23 (permalink)

The most important thing that both SONAR and GTPro4 will give you is the ability to work with MIDI.

This basically means you are no longer limited to just recording and mixing in audio. MIDI gives you access to VSTi's (VST Instruments), also called software synthesizers - 'softsynths' for short. Aside from the obvious comparisions with hardware synthesizers (like Rolands and Moogs etc), softsynths and their sample libraries can give you access to a vast array of different sounds, such as high quality piano, drums, orchestra strings, percussion etc.

I'd imagine that every instrument you can think of is represented out there - the only difference is usually the price! Better quality audio samples and MIDI grooves and patterns written by professional musicians will often cost a lot more than more basic fare.

It really does open up a whole new world Paresh, and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone!

Looking forward, I think that if I were in your situation, I'd plump for SONAR X1 Essentials over GTPro4. The 'Essentials' software is basically the replacement for Home Studio, and in my opinion is much better value for money. It's also based on the flagship SONAR X1 Producer Expanded, so if you upgrade in future, you are more likely to be familiar with how things work and are laid out.

Paresh K
    Re:compatibility with windows 7 2012/05/16 19:16:17 (permalink)
    Thanks again Steve. I actually use midi tracks in my own way by exporting/importing from another software (Mackie Tracktion) into GT 2...not as flexible as using both audio & midi in the same app, but I have never quite understood how to work with latency when they are in the same app. Or maybe that's no longer an issue... Anyway thanks for yr generous help & the tips on Sonar. I will see what I can do with the trial version.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1