compressor causing feedback

Author
dudemanjch
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
2006/08/04 09:46:45 (permalink)

compressor causing feedback

i was wondering if anyone could explain to me why compressors cause feedback to be more apparent? I have some vocal mics that I just recently put through a behringer in my sound system, and they have been feeding back easier than they used to. I know that compressors cause this, but I was just wondering the mechanics of it, so that I can control it better if I understand it.

gracias

Debut Album, all in SONAR!

Listen:
Soundclick
MySpace

Support:
Facebook Fan Page

Purchase:
iTunes
Amazon.com

2 Replies Related Threads

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: compressor causing feedback 2006/08/04 10:14:02 (permalink)
    Compressors will raise the quiet, and lower the loud. If there are higher frequencies in the (previously) quiet, it could boost those, causing it to loop back into the mic and cause the feedback.

At least that's my take on it.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    dmassey
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: compressor causing feedback 2006/08/07 21:32:44 (permalink)
    A compressor/limiter will only increase your feedback issues if you are attempting to use it to increase your gain. No matter how you set a compressor/limiter, you still have the same threshold for feedback in a given environment. You should normally only use an overall comp/limit for protection, and you should not hit the threshold unless you are at the edge of damage (or exceeding the volume level you want to stay under). A multi-band limiter would be a better choice, but I dislike having a comp/limit on a system. You would get better results by patching the comp/limit into the insert jack of the channel you wish to process. However, this can be a problem if you're running monitors from FOH.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1