condenser mic and stand set-up

Author
syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
2009/07/07 21:09:25 (permalink)

condenser mic and stand set-up

is a boom arm necessary for a condenser mic placement or will a condenser mic work just fine with a mic stand? which set-up is used most in recording studios.

what's a shock mount and is it necessary to use with a condenser mic.

btw, this is for vocals.

3 Replies Related Threads

glen55
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: condenser mic and stand set-up 2009/07/07 21:41:15 (permalink)
    I don't have any experience with a boom arm but a mic stand/shockmount combo works fine.

There are a lot of different kinds of shockmounts, but basically it is a thingy that attaches to your mic stand and one way or another suspends the mic in such a way that vibrations in the floor (or from bumping the mic stand) don't get transmitted to the mic. If you have a good condenser mic it's vital to use a shockmount because the mic will pick up most anything and the low-end rumble from floor vibrations is the last thing you want in your recording.

The Beatles, Sinatra, Elton John, Zappa, Steely Dan, Howlin' Wolf, Pink Floyd, Al Green, ELO,  Nickelback, at the moment. Yourself?
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: condenser mic and stand set-up 2009/07/07 22:35:25 (permalink)
    A boom arm is helpful for mic placement - it allows you to put the mic in the best spot. A standard mic stand is good for live sound. It can work, but isn't optimum for all situations. It is actually nice to have a selection of stands, but if you have only one a boom is the way to go.

A shock mount is farther down the list of things to get first, unless you have a tendency to record loud sources that vibrate through an old wooden floor, jump while you play or other bad tendencies (or live next to the highway). As glen sez, it keeps any vibrations from the floor from getting into your mic by holding it with rubber bands, basically. I don't have one here at home for my acoustic recording. I do have a wooden floor which is pretty solid, and just put a doubled rug under the mic stand (tripod and boom) and singer to stand on. I seldom have issues, but I don't record too many third parties so I can keep it under control. Lots of musicians will tap their toes, so a thick rug is necessary to have. Shock mount would be better, but the rug works fine for me. A thick, twilled cotton rug from Target.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: condenser mic and stand set-up 2009/07/08 10:03:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: syntheticpop

is a boom arm necessary for a condenser mic placement or will a condenser mic work just fine with a mic stand? which set-up is used most in recording studios.

what's a shock mount and is it necessary to use with a condenser mic.

btw, this is for vocals.

What I see most often is a large boom with the mic suspended upside down such that the capsule is just at the singers forhead. This gets all objects including the body (shell) of the mic, and all parts of the stand, out of the path of the sound. Some mics ring a bit if the hit the shell with loud vocal. There are even DIY tricks out there that show how to modify cheap mics to dampen the shell. But it's still best to keep sound away from that part of the mic. You also don't want reflections.

This also tends to cause the singer to tilt their head back a tiny bit as they try to focus on the mic or sing up to it. If you are used to using a dynamic mic where you sing directly into it this can seem a bit odd but it really does make for a good track. Unless the part is a whisper it's not a good idea to sing directly into the capsule of a condenser mic. They pick up just fine a way back and even off axis a little and can be harsh if you hit them with a blast of vocal up close.
    post edited by ohhey - 2009/07/08 10:06:14
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1