Answeredcontroller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3

Author
tyros5
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2013/12/01 20:01:00 (permalink)

controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3

I have a controller m audio axiom air 61, wanted to know if it exists the compatibility to sound x3 with the hypercontrol that brings the controller m audio axiom air. I await answer... I want to know if it exists a plugin for his compatibility, since if it exists go to purchase the sound x3, of the contrary, will not buy it. 
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3 2013/12/01 21:24:55 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby tyros5 2013/12/01 21:28:32
Welcome to the forum!

I am first a little curious as to your knowledge/experience with DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations)? The reason I ask this is that any controller can be set-up to work with X3, but what X3 can do is far beyond what you can ever achieve with a controller alone. Please bear this in mind when you are talking "purchasing a DAW." Any DAW is about what the DAW can do, not "limiting" it to a controller alone. SONAR X3 is a very powerful, and professional DAW and includes a lot of integrated features, plug-ins, etc. I just want to clarify this, since the mindset of "easily controlling a DAW with my keyboard" might drive you into purchasing a DAW you may end up not enjoying long term.

To your question(s) about using the Axiom AIR as a controller... there are two parts to your question:
  1. Can the Axiom AIR 61 be used to control SONAR X3, and that answer is yes. You can set up an "ACT MIDI-controller" within X3, and then tailor that mapping to assign controller functions within X3 (X3 includes 2 presets for the M-Audio Axiom 61 that you can add functionality to).
  2. Can the Axiom AIR 61 use its built-in "Hypercontrol" to do this, and based on the M-Audio site, it seems that answer is no. I do not own an Axiom AIR 61, so cannot confirm beyond what M-Audio's site tells me.
Bottom line... purchasing a DAW is a serious endeavor, so be sure to research what you are getting, and understand that there is also learning involved. This forum is the best resource to get questions resolved quickly and includes a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful folks who have "lived by" SONAR professionally for years, and that "feature" of X3 is rather priceless.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
tyros5
Re: controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3 2013/12/01 21:30:02 (permalink)
mettelus
Welcome to the forum!

I am first a little curious as to your knowledge/experience with DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations)? The reason I ask this is that any controller can be set-up to work with X3, but what X3 can do is far beyond what you can ever achieve with a controller alone. Please bear this in mind when you are talking "purchasing a DAW." Any DAW is about what the DAW can do, not "limiting" it to a controller alone. SONAR X3 is a very powerful, and professional DAW and includes a lot of integrated features, plug-ins, etc. I just want to clarify this, since the mindset of "easily controlling a DAW with my keyboard" might drive you into purchasing a DAW you may end up not enjoying long term.

To your question(s) about using the Axiom AIR as a controller... there are two parts to your question:
  1. Can the Axiom AIR 61 be used to control SONAR X3, and that answer is yes. You can set up an "ACT MIDI-controller" within X3, and then tailor that mapping to assign controller functions within X3 (X3 includes 2 presets for the M-Audio Axiom 61 that you can add functionality to).
  2. Can the Axiom AIR 61 use its built-in "Hypercontrol" to do this, and based on the , it seems that answer is no. I do not own an Axiom AIR 61, so cannot confirm beyond what M-Audio's site tells me.
Bottom line... purchasing a DAW is a serious endeavor, so be sure to research what you are getting, and understand that there is also learning involved. This forum is the best resource to get questions resolved quickly and includes a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful folks who have "lived by" SONAR professionally for years, and that "feature" of X3 is rather priceless.

In that it splits to Sound x3 can configure the DAWs?
mettelus
Re: controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3 2013/12/01 21:50:12 (permalink)
I do not understand what your question is asking.

Let me step back a second for you. With a DAW, you can record audio/MIDI tracks into your computer, and then easily modify that data as you choose. A massive advantage of a DAW is that you have this information in a computer, and can apply effects, etc. without having to re-record it (time intensive), or lose sound quality as you "edit" effects and sounds. By keeping tracks separate (drums, vocals, synths, etc.), you can also choose how they are mixed for the final song. Then if you change your mind later, all of those tracks are still there and can be edited again in the future.

X3 includes a number of "soft synths" which basically "make the sounds" of MIDI notes being played (i.e. your Axiom AIR 61). A MIDI note by itself is nothing more than which note you are playing, how loud you played it, when it started and stopped, and a few other things... but no "sound." With "soft synths," you can play a MIDI controller (keyboard), and hear the sound you choose (piano, synth, bass, drums, etc...). An advantage is you can record MIDI, assign it to an instrument (say an oboe), but then later on you prefer a saxophone... you can simply assign those same notes to a different instrument.

In all honesty, the "controller" aspect of a keyboard "driving" X3 is a nicety, but is not needed to record music. The "note data" is what X3 needs to make sounds, and you can record this easily with any MIDI input into X3. With those notes... X3 then makes the "sounds" you wish to hear (and you can tailor to your liking).

Did I answer your question at all, or just add more confusion to the fire?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
tyros5
Re: controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3 2013/12/01 21:53:37 (permalink)
mettelus
I do not understand what your question is asking.

Let me step back a second for you. With a DAW, you can record audio/MIDI tracks into your computer, and then easily modify that data as you choose. A massive advantage of a DAW is that you have this information in a computer, and can apply effects, etc. without having to re-record it (time intensive), or lose sound quality as you "edit" effects and sounds. By keeping tracks separate (drums, vocals, synths, etc.), you can also choose how they are mixed for the final song. Then if you change your mind later, all of those tracks are still there and can be edited again in the future.

X3 includes a number of "soft synths" which basically "make the sounds" of MIDI notes being played (i.e. your Axiom AIR 61). A MIDI note by itself is nothing more than which note you are playing, how loud you played it, when it started and stopped, and a few other things... but no "sound." With "soft synths," you can play a MIDI controller (keyboard), and hear the sound you choose (piano, synth, bass, drums, etc...). An advantage is you can record MIDI, assign it to an instrument (say an oboe), but then later on you prefer a saxophone... you can simply assign those same notes to a different instrument.

In all honesty, the "controller" aspect of a keyboard "driving" X3 is a nicety, but is not needed to record music. The "note data" is what X3 needs to make sounds, and you can record this easily with any MIDI input into X3. With those notes... X3 then makes the "sounds" you wish to hear (and you can tailor to your liking).

Did I answer your question at all, or just add more confusion to the fire?

The axiom air 61 has buttons eat: recording, play, stop, advance, delay, but in sounding x3 does not work me, wanted to know like giving him the corresponding functions in the Sound, in that it splits of the program have to assign them this?
mettelus
Re: controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3 2013/12/01 22:00:38 (permalink)
Okay... you are asking if X3 can be set up to accept the "Transport Buttons" in the picture on this page? The answer is "yes."

tyros5
Re: controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3 2013/12/01 22:01:30 (permalink)
mettelus
Okay... you are asking if X3 can be set up to accept the "Transport Buttons" in the picture on ? The answer is "yes."

But where I have to adjust this? In that it splits of the program have to go to adjust this?
mettelus
Re: controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3 2013/12/01 22:13:25 (permalink)
Karl Rose is a very knowledgeable gentleman and has done a lot of tutorial videos for SONAR products. Here is a video he did a while back for X1, which still applies for X3. This shows in detail how an ACT MIDI controller is configured in X3, and the controller he uses for this video does not come with a preset. It may answer your question best to watch someone actually "do" what you are asking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObsW0t5FnzM

tyros5
Re: controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3 2013/12/02 11:18:59 (permalink)
I do not understand like placing the controls of recording, reproduction, stop, this does not explain in the video
mettelus
Karl Rose is a very knowledgeable gentleman and has done a lot of tutorial videos for SONAR products. Here is a video he did a while back for X1, which still applies for X3. This shows in detail how an ACT MIDI controller is configured in X3, and the controller he
mettelus
Karl Rose is a very knowledgeable gentleman and has done a lot of tutorial videos for SONAR products. Here is a video he did a while back for X1, which still applies for X3. This shows in detail how an ACT MIDI controller is configured in X3, and the controller he uses for this video does not come with a preset. It may answer your question best to watch someone actually "do" what you are asking about.

uses for this video does not come with a preset. It may answer your question best to watch someone actually "do" what you are asking about.

I do not understand like placing the controls of recording, reproduction, stop, this does not explain in the video
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re: controller m audio axiom air 61, hypercontrol in Sonar x3 2013/12/03 02:19:59 (permalink)
Thanks for the kind words mettelus.

If there isn't a dedicated ACT surface for the Axiom you can still set it up. Either use ACT to assign  controls as shown in the video that mettelus linked you to or use a combination of ACT and the Cakewalk Generic Surface option found in Preferences-->MIDI---->Control Surfaces.

I have a ZED-R16 that I have set up in a very similar way. I use ACT for the sliders, knobs and buttons and the Generic Surface for the transport controls.

You'll see in the Generic Surface Dialogue box that there is a "Global" section toward the bottom right. To assign controls click on a command such as "Play", press the play button on the Axiom, and then click the "Learn" button toward the top right of the dialogue box.

You should see the "SysEx Trigger Message" fill with the MID message and that button will be assigned to the play command. Repeat with the other commands, save it as a preset and then closing the dialogue box.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1