controllers and Sonar

Author
Widetrack
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 310
2010/07/23 18:54:02 (permalink)

controllers and Sonar

I've been watching a bunch of youtubes showing these guys perform with their little Ozones and such, and they get the knobs and faders to control all these synth parameters in real time and generally have a real good time doing all this on stage.

I searched the forum and found two or three posts--all a few years old--where guys expressed how difficult it is to set this kind of thing up--with or without ACT--but no one had any great answers.

I'm assuming these guys are using soft synths, but I have not had the patience to learn how to program the Sonar synths--even in un-real time--and can not see how one could get a controller to control the controls of Zeta, or Dimension pro, or any of Sonar's other synths.

Does anyone know how to learn this stuff, or are these guys on youtube just so freakin much smarter than me--not inconceivable by any stretch--that they can just intuit it all?

Using a controller looks like a very cool way to perform. I hope someone can hlep open it up for me and anyone else who would want to get into it.

Cakewalk's got this A300 Pro controller that looks like it could be a good one (has to be better than M-Audio gear, anyway).  Are there any Bakers out there who can do a quick tutorial?

Thanks for any help.

12 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/23 19:39:21 (permalink)
    Most of the people I see doing live synth morphing are using real hardware synths, not soft synths.

The problem, I suspect, is that while using a controller is fine when a particular synth has focus (assigning real knobs to virtual knobs is a piece o' cake), it's switching between patches and samples that would slow you down during a live performance.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Widetrack
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/23 20:03:17 (permalink)
    Yeah, no kidding.

I'm having difficulty figuring out many such considerations. Unfortunately, I'm figuring in a vacum, since I haven't sprung for a controller . . .so far.

I wonder, for instance, if a controller could do a filter sweep on Zeta while the track pane is up.
    I've never even figured out how to do a filter sweep in Zeta under any circumstances.

Re: hardware synths: So if I had a hard synth assigned to a certain track, how would I send MIDI CCs to the synth without sending them to every synth in the project?
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/23 20:07:36 (permalink)
    I wonder, for instance, if a controller could do a filter sweep on Zeta while the track pane is up.

I don't use z3ta, but I'm sure it can.

I've never even figured out how to do a filter sweep in Zeta under any circumstances.

Figuring that out, of course, would be the primary prerequisite.

Re: hardware synths: So if I had a hard synth assigned to a certain track, how would I send MIDI CCs to the synth without sending them to every synth in the project?

Set each synthesizer to a different MIDI channel.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Widetrack
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/23 20:23:10 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Set each synthesizer to a different MIDI channel

Of course that would be necessary. But from my experience, to talk to a synth, you have to go into Sonar and select a track to which the synth is assigned, instead of blithely frolicking around on your cool little controller while your stable, uncomplicated software does all the hard work. And that ain't the way it seems to be done in the videos.

Just a quick "how to set this up" in general terms is what I'm looking for:

Set up synth
    Set up routing to synth in Sonar
    how to communicate with different soft synths and change them in real time
    how to score with hot chicks

That kind of thing.

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/23 21:02:25 (permalink)
    Widetrack,

I think one thing to stuy is the MIDI specs for controllers.. It's basically a list, not very descriptive. You'd have to figure it out, or research the ones of interest.

Then it's about how to probram the controller unit.. The best way is when they maker provides a utility to program it. Programming it means tht each individual control be assigned one function from the MIDI list above, to match the software or hardware synth that you want to control.

Sometimes, for a given synth, there is already a template provided that relates to the software utility for programming the synth, as mentioned above.

And of course understand MIDI channels and how they relate to the controllers.

Maybe the guys seem to do it real easy, but behind all of that is much work, effort, and preparation.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/23 22:19:04 (permalink)

You have 16 MIDI channels per MIDI interface. Put each synth on a separate channel or a separate interface.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2010/07/23 22:20:20

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/23 23:42:17 (permalink)
    Basically you put in all the work before hand - programming the likeliest controllers on each soft synth in turn w/ ACT.  It should remember the settings.  SONAR ACT will know the controller numbers for each knob etc. and assign them to where you mapped them for each synth.  If you don't have a parameter LCD strip it is best to have the same knobs assigned to the same things in different synths - #1 knob to Cut Off, for example, on each of your soft synths.

The hard part, as you've guessed, is getting the focus on separate synths.  So it is best, if you are doing it live to only "control" one synth, or you have to mouse, touch screen or have something like the VS-700C w/ its jog wheel/buttons to move around the tracks and focus different synths.

@

post edited by AT - 2010/07/23 23:43:49

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    manenbu
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/24 04:46:16 (permalink)
    Novation has Automap, which works great (once it works).
    To switch to another vst all you gotta do is click on it (focus) in Sonar's window. It automatically maps the controls in the vst to the controls on the hardware.

Sonar 8.5.3 x64 on Windows 7 ~ C2Q9550 ~ 4GB RAM
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/24 10:50:54 (permalink)
    Widetrack

bitflipper

Set each synthesizer to a different MIDI channel

Of course that would be necessary. But from my experience, to talk to a synth, you have to go into Sonar and select a track to which the synth is assigned, instead of blithely frolicking around on your cool little controller while your stable, uncomplicated software does all the hard work. And that ain't the way it seems to be done in the videos.

Just a quick "how to set this up" in general terms is what I'm looking for:

Set up synth
    Set up routing to synth in Sonar
    Insert softsynth with midi & audio tracks. Set the midi track input port to your controller's midi port and set the input channel to a unique channel.
    how to communicate with different soft synths and change them in real time
    Echo enable every softsynth you want to control. (You can turn off the global option to automatically echo-enable the selected synth). Now Sonar is set up to route incoming channels to their matching synths.
    Set up your controller so that you have an easy way to switch MIDI channels in real time. Or maybe you would have a controller that can permanently map controls individually to midi channel & CC#. Sorry, I don't know the controller you are interested in.
    how to score with hot chicks
    Think of what you would do instinctively and then do the opposite (c.f. George Costanza).

Bill B.
    Widetrack
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/24 12:07:36 (permalink)
    Wo.

Lots o’ good tips.

I’m realizing that since I’ve never needed  ACT--and hence have ignored it completely--I haven’t been including it in my calculations. Time to pull that old JC Cooper fadermaster out of the closet and see if it will help me learn ACTing.

I think Bvideo got closest to what aspect of this is not clear to me.

If I got this right:

Only mess with one synth per performance After getting several tracks loaded with a synth each, set the input MIDI channel of each synth uniquely then if I echo enable all of them, only the one on my controller’s current MIDI out channel will respond. And yes, then the hard part will be changing the controller’s MIDI out channel on the fly. I have no idea if any of them provide for this. But then again, if I follow rule 1 (Only mess with one synth per performance), that wouldn’t present a problem, As long as the controller actually can xmit on all 16 channels, I’m ok. And, of course, George C would know. A wise man.  
    Regarding which controller I’m interested in: there’s so many M-audio controllers out there, they must be working for a lot of people. But I’ve had terrible experiences with their reliability.

I hear lots of praise for the Novation and will look into that.

The Roland/Cake Apro 300 looks very good, but it’s possibly the most expensive of the small-keyboard controllers, and I find no reviews of, or performances with, it.

Thank you all for helping me think this through. Seems like it’s a good dialog to continue.

WT
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/24 20:16:39 (permalink)
    I don't know why you wouldn't get the A Pro 800-61 key model???
    Setting up each hardware synth-controller is going to be different. Novation, A Pro 800, whatever. They all have their own definitions and voices and trying to play soft synths with each different peice of equipment is going to require different setups on both the hardware controller and the soft synth and Sonars ACT or Midi Learn features. There are many presets in ACT for different peices of equipment. If yours is not there you have to Midi Learn an ACT preset and save it in ACT. Also in consideration is whether you are using Audio or Midi in a live situation. Do you want to use the voice of the hardware synth-controller and voices from the soft synths at the same time in real time? Since every DAW is different, and every DAW host is different, it's going to require a specific setup of all the different components which is going to vary depending on what hardware, software, OS, PC, DAW host, interfaces, etc. you are using. That's where it starts.

Craig DuBuc
    Widetrack
    Re:controllers and Sonar 2010/07/25 11:16:48 (permalink)
    A300 is smaller and less expensive.

I'd use it for performing, along with an EWI, so mostly for pno, gtr, or string parts.

It would be the only controller going to the laptop w/ the soft snths, or a couple of synths in a rack.

A300 has no sound of its own, so no conflict there.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1