converting DXi's and VST's to audio

Author
bobdec
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2005/05/10 18:48:03 (permalink)

converting DXi's and VST's to audio

I've converted DXi's and VSTs for three or four years now and all of a sudden I can't do it. It seems to mix down OK but the result is not a wave file. The track is just straight lines, not the configuration of a wave file. However it plays back as if it was a wave file, although I can't import it to Sound Forge or any other sound editor because it's not a wave file. My question is, what is it? At this point I'm just bewildered.
I'm using Sonar 4 Producer

15 Replies Related Threads

Richard Brian
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3519
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/10 19:32:36 (permalink)
    The straignt lines you see could be a corrupt picture file. You can try resetting the pictures and have Sonar redraw the waveforms. Try deleting the contents of the Picture Cache; it defaults to C:\Cakewalk Projects\Picture Cache. The files have the name extension of .wov.

The problem of not being able to import into other programs... Have you tried importing a wave file from a different audio track, one that's not a synth render, or from a different project?
    bobdec
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/10 21:28:48 (permalink)
    I thank you for your help. Do you mean to take out all the .wov files in picture cache, and I'm not sure I know how to have Sonar redraw the waveforms.
    I did write a small clarinet line to see if if worked normally, and it did. It shows as a wave file, and it imported into Sound Forge easily. The large string file that I had been working on, and am having the problems with, may have, somehow, become corrupted, but I have no idea how. I'm using EWQLSO Gold, just to give you an idea of what I'm working with. Thanks again.
    Richard Brian
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3519
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/10 22:07:05 (permalink)
    If it were corrupt, I would think Sonar would balk on playing it. Try a Bounce to Clip on that clip. That would rewrite a new wave file.

Sonar automatically would redraw the picture files if you delete them.

You could also just highlight the clip and use Bounce to Clip to force a picture redraw.
    bso
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/10 22:46:58 (permalink)
    I ran across a situation where I had numorous smaller clips..( kick drums)...and upon rendering a track effect, somehow a bunch of the waves files came up with long clips that extended to the end of the track . None of the clips were slip edited to the end of the track.When I went to bounce to clips..the resultant wave was just as you described one long flat line. I finally decided to slip edit from the end position some of those overlapping flat lined wave files...luckily after 4 or 5 slip edits all the waves became visable and were able to be bounced to a single clip. It was a fluke in rendering that I've never come across since. I can't fault sonar for this..I'm sure it was doing it's math thing and somehow the result was what Sonar computed to a logical outcome. Fuzzy logic happens i guess
    bobdec
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/11 00:02:53 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the help. I must admit that I don't understand some of the language.
    "slip edited" for instance, so I can't really get close to that, but I do like the Picasso (blue period?).
    I just got through cleaning out a bunch of junk, but tomorrow I will take a crack the "bounce to clip". I've been saying this, it seems, forever, but I spend more time trying to figure out the damn technolgy and it's language than I do writing any music. Very frustration, but I really appreciate the help.
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/11 03:08:33 (permalink)
    Search the SONAR Help for slip editing to see what it is. I once had a problem with the clips of tracks not being displayed correctly. Some times closing and reopening the project fixed this problem, but you probably already tried that. Alternatively, delete the bounced audio track that's not showing the clip correctly, save the project, close and reopen the project, and try to bounce the DXi/VSTi again and see if it turns out right.
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2005/05/11 03:10:03

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    bobdec
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/11 12:18:53 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your kind help, but I'm ready to give up. I've tried all that was suggested and I still can't get a waveform--- and it's still recording. I would like to call Cakewalk but that's too much of a hassle. I think I've configured the instruments correctly. I've done it many time in the past, including recording the same file a few times, but I was never satisfied with the mix. EWQLSO is really easy to configure, or it used to be until now. I have the file in an other computer and it does the same thing so it must be either configured wrong or there is something wrong with the file.
    Sorry it took so much time of your time. thanks again.
    post edited by bobdec - 2005/05/11 12:20:14
    TechnoPhobia
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/11 14:46:51 (permalink)
    Hi Bobdec,

Hopefully you havn't given up yet. If not, then I may have the solution for you.

I have also had the blank audio file with the lines and nothing else, however it was down to me not setting it up correctly. The reason I was getting the blank file was because I was Record Arming the midi track file, selecting the DXi Track and bouncing the track down. The only result I got was a blank audio file.

However the solution for me was via a quick look into the manual, convert via my Babel fish from the Cakewalk speak to my brains English and voila, audio...

Try this as follows:

1. Mute all tracks that you don't want to convert. (Thats all Midi and Audio tracks you dont want to convert)
    2. Use the Edit-Bounce to Track(s) command.
    3. The Bounce to Track(s) dialog box appears.
    4. In the Source Category field, choose Tracks. (This is on the right of the dialog box that pops up.)
    5. In the Channel Format field, choose mono if you want mono tracks, and stereo if you want stereo tracks.
    6. In the Mix Enables field, make sure all choices are selected.
    7. Click OK.

You dont need to select any tracks, any clips or Arm anything, just follow the above. This is from the manual, but slightly converted to my understanding of the process.

Hope this helps

TechnoPhobia (UK)
    bobdec
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/11 17:43:10 (permalink)
    Thank you TechnoPhobia, but I have been doing exactly as you suggest for a couple of years now. I leave all track open because I want to record ( I never arm anything when I use a DXi or VST) everything. As I said, I've "bounced to tracks" a few times in the past, including with this same file, and I still can't get that waveform. I've even tried one track at a time with the same results. I doubt that it's Sonar. There is a step that I'm missing and I can't figure it out. Thanks you for your input. It all helps, at least, to know that someone is listening.
    TechnoPhobia
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/12 02:03:21 (permalink)
    Hmm, very puzzling...

The only other thing I can think of (you probably already have this in place, but havn't mentioned it) is the updates thru' to version 4.02. The update of 4.02 itself had a bug fix for doing audio mix down from track folders etc.

Lastly, the only other compromise for the time being, is to Freeze the synth...If you still have no joy, email Cakewalk, they are pretty responsive and helpful in these matters.

TechnoPhobia...
    bobdec
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/05/12 13:40:24 (permalink)
    I have, as you suggest, the update 4.02, and the next step, I guess, is to contact Cakewalk. I'll have to do that by email because I'm never successful with the telephone call. I always have to hang up after listening to all that pop music, and distorted guitars while waiting for a technician to pick up the phone.
    Once again, thank you one and all for your input.
    lel
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/06/15 00:20:34 (permalink)
    Hi bobdec,

I believe your problem converting DXi's to audio is the same one I had. I also got blank audio tracks after using the 'bounce to tracks' function. I figured out the problem though.

When you click on a track, say track 1, 2, or 3 etc., the ruler at the top of all the tracks becomes highlighted in a tan color for the entire length of the data in the track you clicked on. You have to get rid of that tan highlighting by clicking somewhere on a blank track with no data. You will notice the tan highlighting on the ruler disappear. Now you can use the 'bounce to track' function for converting DXi's to audio and it will work (using the instructions in the Sonar manual.)

Sometimes if you click on a small audio or midi clip, that tan highlighting will pop up on the ruler too. You can also add the tan highlighting to the ruler by moving the mouse up there and clicking on any number, say 3, dragging the mouse to, say 10, then unclicking, and you'll notice the tan highlight from 3 to 10. The bottom line is, whichever way the ruler becomes highlighted, get rid of all that by clicking on an empty track before you use the 'bounce to track' function. Then your DXi's will convert to nice audio.
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/06/15 07:03:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lel

Hi bobdec,

I believe your problem converting DXi's to audio is the same one I had. I also got blank audio tracks after using the 'bounce to tracks' function. I figured out the problem though.

When you click on a track, say track 1, 2, or 3 etc., the ruler at the top of all the tracks becomes highlighted in a tan color for the entire length of the data in the track you clicked on. You have to get rid of that tan highlighting by clicking somewhere on a blank track with no data. You will notice the tan highlighting on the ruler disappear. Now you can use the 'bounce to track' function for converting DXi's to audio and it will work (using the instructions in the Sonar manual.)

Sometimes if you click on a small audio or midi clip, that tan highlighting will pop up on the ruler too. You can also add the tan highlighting to the ruler by moving the mouse up there and clicking on any number, say 3, dragging the mouse to, say 10, then unclicking, and you'll notice the tan highlight from 3 to 10. The bottom line is, whichever way the ruler becomes highlighted, get rid of all that by clicking on an empty track before you use the 'bounce to track' function. Then your DXi's will convert to nice audio.

Yup...and instead of muting all of the other tracks, solo the one you want to bounce.

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/06/15 07:51:50 (permalink)

This "tan highlighting" is a time selection. It is useful.

If you select both the MIDI AND AUDIO tracks (hold down CTRL, and click the TRACK NUMBER), you will get your mixdown. If you have tan highlighting, it will mix down only that part.

So, for example, say Track 1 is a MIDI track, being played through a softsynth. Track 2 is the audio track hooked to the softsynth output. Hold down CTRL, and select BOTH Tracks 1 & 2. Now select measures 3-10 in the ruler, and do Bounce to Tracks. You will bounce only tracks 3-10.
    bobdec
    RE: converting DXi's and VST's to audio 2005/06/15 09:56:42 (permalink)
    Thanks you one and all. I had just about forgotten about this until I received this notice, via email. I'm going to print all of this because of the excellent information. Getting information from the forum is certainly better than reading the manual, or sometimes even talking to a tech.

bobdec
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1