converting .wav files to .cda

Author
sirenadelmar
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
2010/10/26 08:55:13 (permalink)

converting .wav files to .cda

i have a CD that was burned in a studio some years ago that i sell when i sing in the subways of the city of New York.  some of my fans have complained that they can't hear the CD if they play it in a CD player.  they can hear it in a computer PC and Mac included.  the CD is all in .wav files, and if i put it on a Mac the Mac changes it to .aiff files. 

Can MC make .cda files?  I imported a .wav file to export as .cda but i couldn't find anything that indicated that the program could do this.  im gettting ready to finish a second CD that i have recording myself, thanks to the support of the MC forum, and i want the files to be .cda so that children everywhere (Ha!) can play it in whatever they want to.  how do i go about it?

thanks,
sirena del mar

8 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:converting .wav files to .cda 2010/10/26 09:42:28 (permalink)
    Wave files on CD should play on every CD player ever made.
    Just make sure the sampling rate is 44,100 kHz and the bit depth is 16.
    Some compressed forms of audio, like WMA may not play on all CD players, but I can play that format on all my players.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:converting .wav files to .cda 2010/10/26 09:47:46 (permalink)
    Just learned something new.
    From Wiki:

A CD Audio Track or .cda file is a small (44 bytes) file generated by Microsoft Windows for each track on an audio CD. The file contains indexing information that programs can use to play or rip the disc. The files are given names in the format Track??.cda.
    The .cda files do not contain the actual PCM wave data, but instead tell where on the disc the track starts and stops. If the file is copied from the CD-ROM to the computer, it becomes useless, since it is only a shortcut to part of the disc. However, some audio editing and CD creation programs will, from the user's perspective, load .cda files as though they are actual audio data files.

So, a CDA file will also not play on their players. They're just markers on the disk.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:converting .wav files to .cda 2010/10/26 10:40:01 (permalink)
    The .cda file itself won't play, but it is an important part of the picture.
    The operative here is Audio CD. Straight .wav files won't play on ordinary CD players. They need the attached .cda file.
    When you create an audio CD, the .cda files are burned to an index track, so the CD player can find the otherwise normal .wav files.
    This is done in your CD authoring software, not MC.
    When you burn the disc, make sure to select Audio CD for the format.
    Also, don't use rewritable CD's. The format is slightly different from standard CD's, and many CD players cannot play them.
    Use only CD-R for discs you wish to distribute.
    post edited by RobertB - 2010/10/26 12:29:37

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    sirenadelmar
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    Re:converting .wav files to .cda 2010/10/26 11:51:51 (permalink)
    i'll chech it out.

thanks,
    sirena del mar
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:converting .wav files to .cda 2010/10/26 12:08:00 (permalink)
    A little bit more on this. CDA is called redbook standard. This is a file format that is compatible with CD players. CDA is like said above a finsihed Wave file with the proper format for a standardized Cd player to read and play the tracks. 16 bit 44,100 Htz sample rate. The problem with CD burners is that some of them format for Cd rom players. This has gotten much better in the recent years. But you have to make sure that when you burn you use 1. a good quality Cd disk. 2. A burner that has redbook standard format. and 3. that you tell the burner to close the file when done., or it considers the file not complete.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:converting .wav files to .cda 2010/10/26 18:25:39 (permalink)
    I discovered this same thing many years back.

A CD made on a computer should be an AUDIO CD and FINALIZED to play properly on most audio CD players.

If you elect to use a DATA CD it might not play on all the CD players out there in the market.  Since I started using AUDIO CD's that has not been an issue....and always make sure the project is Finalized either manually or automatically by the burner.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:converting .wav files to .cda 2010/10/27 16:39:01 (permalink)
    WORD!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:converting .wav files to .cda 2010/10/28 03:33:17 (permalink)
    Obviously the guys in the studio gave you a data CD in case you'd want to master/process/sort the files further before making the "listenable" CD. They must have known the difference between the formats.

Any dedicated burning software automatically burns the dragged in wavs as cda, there's no separate conversion needed.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1