copyright: eCO electronic registration

Author
rbecker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 740
2009/01/29 09:33:58 (permalink)

copyright: eCO electronic registration

Has anyone used the U.S.A. copyright office eCO (electronic copyright) registration functionality yet? I have read the tips and faqs, but have some questions of a practical nature:

1. How well does eCO work?

2. Do you submit the performance (old form SR) and the written music (old form PA) all together? That is, for one song -say named "Friends Forever" - two files something like: ff_perform.wav (for the performance) and ff_score.doc (for the score and lyrics)?

3. I'm a songwriter/singer. I certainly plan on submitting the performance, but how important is it to also submit the score/lyrics? I ask this because, quite frankly, these are in pretty rough shape and will take some time to clean up.

4. Related to 3 above... Will Sonar staff view and lyrics function combine to create a reasonably passable score/lyrics document to pass along to the copyright office? Alternate ideas?

Background: I am a songwriter/performer mostly in the pop/rock genres. I have several original short pop tunes I am interested in registering for copyright and then getting out for public consumption. This is my first venture into copyrighting anything. My plan of action is:

A. Copyright
B. Soundclick.com
C. Cakewalk 'Songs' forum
D. CD Baby
E. Beverly Hills

FYI The 'tone' on the copyright.gov website seems to indicate they want to do away with submission of hard copy...move to all electronic media.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
---
Sonar Platinum
HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
Windows 10
Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

4 Replies Related Threads

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: copyright: eCO electronic registration 2009/01/29 11:27:49 (permalink)
    I don't know about eCO but I use http://www.protectmywork.com/index.php which are very easy to use and cheap as well. Of course how well it'll stand up if tested I've yet to find out but the theory seems sound to me, certainly for UK copyright purposes anyway.

One tip though if you do use them don't try to use punctuation marks in the file names such as ' 'cos that caused me all sorts of headaches. Their support is pretty good as well. Sorted my issues very quickly.
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: copyright: eCO electronic registration 2009/01/30 19:59:17 (permalink)
    I haven't looked at eCO yet. I hold seven copyrights of poetry - lyrics all hard copy. The trend toward digital-disc copies has been going on for a while now. There was, probably still is an option to have your material transfered to disc for a fee. I'm not sure how much microfiche is still in use there. Where there any specifications as to what format they wanted your digital material submited in?

Craig DuBuc
    rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    RE: copyright: eCO electronic registration 2009/02/02 12:28:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

I haven't looked at eCO yet. I hold seven copyrights of poetry - lyrics all hard copy. The trend toward digital-disc copies has been going on for a while now. There was, probably still is an option to have your material transfered to disc for a fee. I'm not sure how much microfiche is still in use there. Where there any specifications as to what format they wanted your digital material submited in?

Thanks for the replies FBB and Craig.

Craig - It looks like the way it works is you log onto the USA Copyright web sight, and then upload your files directly to their server. No hard copy of anything, not even a disk. They accept a whole range of formats for both the performance (.wav, mp3 and others) and the score (.doc, .txt and others).

I would have maybe been conservative for my first venture into copyright, but now they do not let you download the forms directly from the website. You need to ask for them to be sent.

In the last week, using SONAR I have been able to create a reasonable electronic 'fake book' version of my tunes in score form...lead line, chord symbols on top and lyrics below. I am going to create two files per song...One for the performance (.wav or maybe MP3) and one for the score (.doc or maybe .txt) and try out eCO.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: copyright: eCO electronic registration 2009/02/03 04:48:36 (permalink)
    I've used ECO, though not for SR, just PA. It worked very nicely. I think I had my certificate of copyright back in less than 2 months... something like that. It was fast and convenient. And so modern!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1