??? creating soundscapes with wave files???

Author
:10:
Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3678
2007/03/03 19:53:25 (permalink)

??? creating soundscapes with wave files???

so, I have 102 distorted, messed up samples that I created, and i wanted to create a set of soundscape's using dimension pro.

some of the samples are pretty long, and if i load them into dimensionPro, they pitch change, and speed up- the higher up the scale you go. how do you get it to keep its original time? (hope that makes sense) can this only be done using sfz?

I tried reading the book "cakewalk synthesizers", but all i found was basic patch making with already included wave files.(ok...so i didnt dive into it to much)

I am assuming i need to add loop points also to get the sounds to sustain.(easier said than done)

so, how would i go about getting these samples loaded in so that i can mess with them?

here are 3 examples- -->sf_waves<--

I wanted to create an ongoing sample, with 3 samples fading in and out on each other with added effects...so that when you hold down the key...it would go on forever until you let the key go. each sound would roll over one another. not sure if thats possible...or if I should give up...and hand everything over to someone that knows what he/she is doing...lol.....

maybe I should just stick to what I'm good at...and leave the programing to the programers...

6 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: ??? creating soundscapes with wave files??? 2007/03/03 20:42:32 (permalink)
    Oh man there are so many options for this

Since you know the original pitch you can in the gui limit its key range to it's root. But that would only give you a one pass/single shot. Of course you can loop the file to rescan just a limited section over and over. But without bringing in the sfz settings which I'd assume you'd not like to mess with you could also load it twice and use the ampeg in the gui to crossfade in/out and set that instance for multitimbral operation rekeying the second file over and over with a fade in out on the second file.

Does that make sence?

If you have trouble determing the root load it up and then import the file as a track. when you hit the right root the pitch will remain unchanged between the 2.

And I'm sure you know you can using SFZ do all that and more without a single gui parameter change. But you have expressed some reluctance in exploring the absolutely astounding world of the most powerful text/audio/sample editor ever created.

And who am I to to mess with that?
    post edited by lawapa - 2007/03/04 11:31:20
    Jeremy_NSL
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: ??? creating soundscapes with wave files??? 2007/03/04 10:18:15 (permalink)

some of the samples are pretty long, and if i load them into dimensionPro, they pitch change, and speed up- the higher up the scale you go. how do you get it to keep its original time? (hope that makes sense) can this only be done using sfz?

This is the nature of traditional sampling. You have time, and pitch. If you want to change one, the other also has to change. There are two ways to get around this so that each note on the keyboard sounds closer to the original:

-use a timestretching sampler. Not many of these are around. All I can think of is Kontakt2. To my knowledge this isn't possible with Rapture/Dpro. This often can sound strange though - as timestretching has a variety of artifacts that range from glitchy to flanged etc.

-multisample. This means creating different wavs for each note, or every third note or whatever you decide. This is the traditional solution. Of course it means plenty more work creating the wavs, looping them, processing etc.
    post edited by Jeremy_NSL - 2007/03/04 10:41:10
    lawapa
    RE: ??? creating soundscapes with wave files??? 2007/03/04 11:07:28 (permalink)
    Dpro will load a REX file. But for Dpro to keep the factor time consistent over the stretch the rhythmic elements if there are any would need to cut the file into the individual slices. You described the files as soundscapes which usually means not much rhythmic content. SoundForge does have a time stretch but as Jeremy explained if you stretch much past the root artifacts creep in.

If I have a morphing soundscape I wish to pitch over a range I break the sound down into individual elements, loop each one so when I stretch up/down it does not drop out before the next sound takes over then do the ampeg in the sfz/or GUI to implement a crossfade between the differing sounds. It's called Dancing Loops

I did this using Rapture/it's built in arp/and uploaded this to Project 5 .Com. There are 2 different examples with the same name but a different technique one using the ampeg and one using the rapture arp function. The arp is so much smoother.
    post edited by lawapa - 2007/03/04 11:30:37
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: ??? creating soundscapes with wave files??? 2007/03/04 11:23:40 (permalink)
    As a possible alternative, you might want to try additive resynthesis. One advantage of using this technique is that you won't end up with timestretching artifacts or break points where it becomes obvious that you switched to a different sample. The disadvantage is that the resynthesized sound won't sound exactly like your sample, but if you are working with abstract soundscapes as opposed to realistic sounds, this might not be a problem.

I'd recommend you have a look at discoDSP's Vertigo demo, as this has the best resynthesis engine with the most options.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: ??? creating soundscapes with wave files??? 2007/03/04 23:29:41 (permalink)
    ~additive resynthesis

doesnt Dpro do this also...using sfz?

thanks for the suggestions everyone. looks like i need to look into it a bit more.

lawapa
    RE: ??? creating soundscapes with wave files??? 2007/03/05 00:11:49 (permalink)
    ~additive resynthesis

doesnt Dpro do this also...using sfz?

Well I'd say no. But mumpcake is on to something. There are several synths that can do additive synthesis
    It is a very complex thing.

Now resynthesis is a different animal to synthesis.

Pitch_keytrack=0 will allow a wave file in the sfz format to play like a drum sound where the pitch does not change over note range. After listening to the examples you posted several are of the don't chage over range type.

So if you loaded say example 002 using sfz like this example

<Region>
    sample=(location) 002
    pitch_keytrack=0

then each note would play the unaltered file without any change in time/pitch.

to set location rclick the wave file an do properties. Copy paste the location at top of properties box.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1