ctrl Z use in plugin

Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
2018/09/03 04:00:00 (permalink)

ctrl Z use in plugin

I am demoing Tremor. In standalone mode, crtl z undoes the last entry to the step sequencer (Tremor step sequencer, not Sonars). When I run in Cakewalk, it undoes the last action, which is typically 'insert Tremor'. When I enable 'Give all keystrokes to plug-in' my system beeps at me and nothing happens. 

Is there something I can do to enable crtl z to work in a plug-in. After using the standalone, this action has become a little ingrained, and it's really useful.

Any Geist users able to chip in, as it will be the same situation I guess.

5 Replies Related Threads

msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: ctrl Z use in plugin 2018/09/04 00:42:38 (permalink)
    With Geist2 you have to not only enable the keyboard focus in CbB (the keyboard button above the plugin UI) but you also have to enable the option in the Geist2 preferences "Respond to keyboard controls" and "Respond to extended keyboard controls" both options must be on.  If you do that and Geist2 has the focus it gets the crtl-Z and undos.  Not sure that helps you with Tremor though.

-Matt

Kamikaze
    Re: ctrl Z use in plugin 2018/09/04 05:03:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, I can't see that option in preferences or the manual. I'm guessing that was added to Giest2 and Geist1 and Tremor both have this limitation.

Not a massive limitation, but after using in standalone first I started to reach for CTRL Z automatically. At least with enabling the keystrokes to Tremor, it doesn't undo 'add tremor'

I like the step sequencer in Tremor, but Sonar's is much more flexible and complete. Shame you can't collapse the sequencer veiw in Tremor. Seems Tremor 2 is dead in the water.

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: ctrl Z use in plugin 2018/09/04 06:45:02 (permalink)
    That is a major PITA at times though. If you get deep into working with a VSTi and then hit Ctrl-Z out of habit, wiping out your work with the VSTi is quite a shock.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: ctrl Z use in plugin 2018/09/04 13:04:01 (permalink)
    There are always going to be limits on how plugins and hosts work, this whole keyboard focus thing is one of them.  Most plugins don't even have an undo concept even.

The option for Geist2 for extended keyboard isn't even covered in the manual (or if it is I couldn't find it) if you don't have it checked you get the beeping with ctrl-z if you give the plugin the keyboard focus in CbB.  You might want to contact FXpansion and see if they would add that to Tremor.

-Matt

Kamikaze
    Re: ctrl Z use in plugin 2018/09/04 13:53:18 (permalink)
    Yeah, I don't think I've used undo in a plug in before, and probably wouldn't have tried and got into the habit of, if I hadn't used the standalone first.

They've finished support for Tremor. It's a Legacy now, so Tremor 2 probably won't happen either.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1