dbx 376 tube upgrade?

Author
Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
2007/12/04 05:54:23 (permalink)

dbx 376 tube upgrade?

Anybody have dbx 376? Can you recommend an upgrade tue? Im getting some upgrades for my Rode NTK thanx to some great advice and sound samples here. How bout the dbx? What can I slap in there?

Tubes just migh be an awesome cheap enhancement in my gear!

Thanx, Lance

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer

3 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: dbx 376 tube upgrade? 2007/12/04 11:12:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Lanceindastudio

Anybody have dbx 376? Can you recommend an upgrade tue? Im getting some upgrades for my Rode NTK thanx to some great advice and sound samples here. How bout the dbx? What can I slap in there?

Tubes just migh be an awesome cheap enhancement in my gear!

Thanx, Lance

I used to have an NTK and I have also used the 376 and they both have a bit of high end sizzle to them. Used together might be a bit too much tube sound. The NTK is bright to start with.

As for the 376 it wasn't mine so I didn't take it apart to see how easy it is to change the tube. That would be the first step is to find out if you can get it changed without de-soldering or lots of difficult disassembly and reassembly. Then you need to find out what model and brand tube it is. The idea would be to try other brands then the one that's in there and maybe a new old stock one that will cross reference to the same application even if the number is a little different. Most modern tube gear doesn't run the tube at full plate voltage so don't expect a huge difference. Anything that would mellow out the high end of the 376 would be welcome. However, if you use it with a dynamic mic like an SM57 or RE20 it can be very handy to add some sparkle.

As for the NTK I would use a good solid state preamp with that one.
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/12/04 11:25:27
    Lanceindastudio
    RE: dbx 376 tube upgrade? 2007/12/04 16:13:32 (permalink)
    Hey thanx Franky! Maybe Ill keep this preamp stock, because I was just made aware that Michael Jackson used sm57 for all the hot stuff, and so Im gonna try it as I have a very similar voice to him in the upper tenor range. Maybe Ill ask my friend Rico (eikelbijter on here) to let me borrow back the Joe Meek VC6Q channel I gave him. Would that be better for the NTK?

Man, I listened to the NTK tube comparison by CryoPhonik, and I easily liked #6 better, then looked down and saw you said the same. Golden ears baby! hehe

I ordered the tube he had in test 6 last night for my NTK.

What preamp do you recommend I use with the NTK? I used to use sp737 with it, and believe it or not, I like the Joe Meek VC6Q and the DBX better.... the Avalon didnt please me as much really...

Oh, by the way, I recorded the Rode through a Eureka like a year ago, and he dialed in a pretty sound man! My voice sounded warm and smooth. Maybe the Eureka?
    post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2007/12/04 16:29:46

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Lanceindastudio
    RE: dbx 376 tube upgrade? 2007/12/25 08:43:38 (permalink)
    So I opened up the dbx 376 and checked out the tube.

Well, it seems the company has a halfway decent reputation, and it is made in Russia.
    Here is a link to the tube.
    http://thetubestore.com/el12au7ec.html

In reading up on the tubes at that same site, it looks like this one might be a great upgrade.
    http://thetubestore.com/tungsramecc82.html

A tube change did my Rode NTK wonders. I might have to break down and get this. Im pretty sure Id be a pioneer doing this lol. I cant find any reports of a tube replacement the the 376 on the web.

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1