does "suspend/hibernate" feature work for your system?

Author
angelo_maci
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 207
2010/12/22 08:16:12 (permalink)

does "suspend/hibernate" feature work for your system?

Hi,
I use "suspend" function on my acer aspire notebook with edirol ua4fx but I see that if a lot of time passes before reactivating the system, interface sync is lost and it does not reactivate (DAW isn't able to use it): it is connected to  an usb hub, as well as the mouse; mouse does not reactivate too. But if a bit of time passes, no problem. (Maybe could it also have to do with the number of times I have suspended before?)
I ask if it is possible to use "suspend" function without these issues with some trick.
Thx

7 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:does "suspend/hibernate" feature work for your system? 2010/12/22 09:26:21 (permalink)
    this should be off. it can create dpc issues. all power saving should be off

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:does "suspend/hibernate" feature work for your system? 2010/12/22 09:34:35 (permalink)
    I also understand that using a hub can cause issues as well. All hubs have to share the one USB port they are connected to.... so bandwidth becomes a problem.

I would connect the interface to a dedicated USB port and if you want to use the hub to share the mouse and printers and other things, that should work

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:does "suspend/hibernate" feature work for your system? 2010/12/22 12:04:15 (permalink)
    Ya....I would turn all that sort of stuff off. It'll only cause you grief from time to time.
    Keep it lean 'n mean man!
    angelo_maci
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 207
    Re:does "suspend/hibernate" feature work for your system? 2010/12/26 06:07:11 (permalink)
    I reinstalled the interface connecting it to an usb port on the notebook but now after suspension I get noises like a Geiger counter, like it was an electrical problem. Very strange. I would like to know if suspension/hibernation is possible with audio/midi interfaces even in principle, or instead there are some intrinsic issues.

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:does "suspend/hibernate" feature work for your system? 2010/12/26 06:41:27 (permalink)
    I'm of the "don't use standby/hibernate" school too.  It can cause many flakey problems.  However, one cause isn't the PC but the device drivers on some devices. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:does "suspend/hibernate" feature work for your system? 2010/12/26 08:18:52 (permalink)
    it can cause problems.  I never use it.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:does "suspend/hibernate" feature work for your system? 2010/12/26 09:30:07 (permalink)
    I have the screen saver on.... but not the standby/hibernate.  For the same reasons... when the S/H kicks in the computer does all sorts of shutdowns of services and power reduction things all of which can affect the services and drivers that are running to keep the audio and the interface properly synced and talking to each other.

I have the screen saver set to more than 30 minutes before it kicks in. I have not seen in my system where the screen saver does any "damage" to the operation of the system.

I don't let the computer run if I am going to be doing something else for an hour or so..... I simply shut it down, or let it run and the screen saver kicks in. If I will be away long enough for the S/H to kick in , I will shut it off and restart it later when I'm ready to continue working.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1