editing a guitar lick help

Author
spindrift
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2011/01/23 10:08:07 (permalink)

editing a guitar lick help

ok i have this clean riff it has alot of punch sounds great in the head phones but when i listen through  moniters the high peaks pop making it sound like crap, Is their a way to edit the highs so it will not pop in speakers with out weaking my riff ?

3 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:editing a guitar lick help 2011/01/23 10:23:21 (permalink)
    EQ? Compression? Multi band compression?

New monitors?

If it's popping your monitors the headphones oughta be killing your ears by now.

Figure out why the headphones and monitors react differently before you go much further.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/01/23 10:25:07

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:editing a guitar lick help 2011/01/23 10:34:18 (permalink)
    A couple ways come to mind. One is to use Boost 11 to knock down those transients. Another is to use a volume envelope.

With Boost 11, add it to the track's FX bin and open it by double clicking it. Turn the BOOST knob all the way down to 0. As you play the song watch the waveform and the Reduction Meter. You can also loop your project where the too loud parts are at. Play the song and slowly turn up the Boost knob until you see those transient showing up as RED in the Waveform. You should also see some activity in the Reduction Meter. You should be a able to find a setting that knocks down the transients without affecting the rest of the audio. How high you will have to turn up the Boost knob depends on how loud that audio already is and the setting on the Output knob.  I would start with the Output knob set to around -6db to start. If you're getting red in the waveform with the Boost knob at 0 then turn up the Output until you see only the transients in red. This is how I would do it. Be careful you don't OVER-use Boost 11. You want to see JUST those loud peaks you want to get rid of in red.

You can also use a volume, or gain, envelope to reduce the volume of the transients. Turn snap to grid off, maximize the track, and zoom in horizontally until you can draw an envelope without affecting the surrounding audio. The disadvantage of this method is that it will reduce the volume of all audio where it is used, including the "good" audio.

I guess you could also use an EQ with the transient but I've never spent much time with that method so can't say much about it.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:editing a guitar lick help 2011/01/23 15:29:40 (permalink)
    Maybe post the song it's in...and point out that the riff you're talking about is at 1:45 into the song (for example) then we can hear it on OUR systems and give appropriate commentary on what you may or may not need to do.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1