electronic drums with Sonar 8.5

Author
Mordred478
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/08/10 09:17:01 (permalink)

electronic drums with Sonar 8.5

I'm about to receive Sonar 8.5, and was a drummer for many years. Both for realism and for the fun of playing drums, which I love, I'm considering getting an e-drum kit with which to play the drum sounds I select for a given track. So the first question is, has anyone here done this and knows that it can be done with Sonar, and second, can anyone recommend a decent, inexpensive kit?

Thanks,
M

7 Replies Related Threads

Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    Re:electronic drums with Sonar 8.5 2010/08/10 11:19:33 (permalink)
    It can be done. And will be done......very easily. Plug it in and it should be a MIDI Device available for you in SONAR assigned as any other device. A lot of people here do this exact thing and use SD, EzD, BFD, etc.

I went with the Alesis USB Pro Kit. There are better kits and there are worse kits. I like it but it always depends on the samples you have to trigger.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:electronic drums with Sonar 8.5 2010/08/10 11:41:01 (permalink)
    Easy to do. I use a wireles midi transmitter from my Roland edrums in the garage to my computer in the house and track the midi. I just monitor the edrum module output while tracking. Then I come back and stamp the drum sounds I want to the midi once I am in Sonar.

An inexpensive kit is one that may be new but is on close out. I picked up my Roland kit the TDK3 for $450 new in the box.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:electronic drums with Sonar 8.5 2010/08/10 12:23:44 (permalink)
    And it should be said....that AS A DRUMMER....you will probably be way less than satisfied with the dynamics, feel, and voicing of ANY sample library triggered with ANY eletctronic pads.

You'll probably miss the sound of a good kit.

But who knows...maybe you'll end up with something that you can live with.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:electronic drums with Sonar 8.5 2010/08/10 13:02:51 (permalink)
    And yet...

...using world class drum samples recorded on world class mics and preamps in a real studio will probably sound a lot better than world class real drums recorded on low end mics and preamps in your house. That has been my experience anyway.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:electronic drums with Sonar 8.5 2010/08/10 20:14:05 (permalink)
    I play a Yamaha DTXpress IV SP and have been totally happy with both the feel and sound.  I use these for recording and live performances.  The ones you see in my icon are a dream kit from Yamaha.  Many years away.
    post edited by BretB - 2010/08/10 20:15:27

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:electronic drums with Sonar 8.5 2010/08/11 07:21:06 (permalink)
    I did a few tracks with edrums and it worked well.  I used a drumKat midi controller and an Alesis D4 drum module.  I recorded the midi signal while monitoring the tracks from sonar and the sounds directly from the audio outs of the drum module.  Note: There is some latency in midi and you do not want to have your midi signal going in to Sonar, triggering some drum plugin and then monitoring that output.  Even though it may only be a few miliseconds, the lag time will feel lousy and get quite annoying, (spoken from experience).  Also, expect to do some midi editing to get the feel that you played, but was lost in the translation. 

I personaly have never heard electric drums that didn't make me want to hurl, but sometimes you have to work with what you have.  I disagree as far as pro samples vs. semi-pro recordings...I would much rather hear an OK recording of an acoustic kit than an electric kit with pro samples.  If you think like a drummer, you will be able to tweak your edrums, midi, and samples to sound a little less canned.  Good luck to you and enjoy yourself!

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:electronic drums with Sonar 8.5 2010/08/11 17:59:39 (permalink)
    Check out the SoundX SMI-1458 Kit ...It`s really affordable about $300 in the States and i use it with Addictive Drums in SONAR no problem.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1