emoticons: Smiley Face vs Tongue STICKING OUT?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2010/10/02 08:12:30 (permalink)

I'm wondering, is it just a culture thing?

I mean, lookie here now... in the Southeastern USA, when you want to smooth over a mild disagreement... you offer up a friendly smile.

Sometimes I see folks in a similar situation... and they use a Stick Your Tongue out emoticon to reply in a disagreement that seems friendly in all other regards?

Here in the Southeastern USA, If you stick your tongue out at some body you might just as well spit your baccy juice on their shoes... it's just not a conventional way to respond unless you want to get dragged out to the wood shed.

So I am wondering... do people in other places use the Stick Your Tongue out technique as a friendly offering of acquiescence?

Just wondering and thinking out loud.

best regards,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/10/02 08:15:45

4 Replies Related Threads

EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:emoticons: Smiley Face vs Tongue STICKING OUT? 2010/10/02 08:33:29 (permalink)
    Mike... why you wanna make me think this early on a Saturday morning? x_@  AND I honestly have to reconsider my usage of ;-p.

Online, in forums, etc. I use it after I've 'lovingly' tried to insult/make a funny at someones expense, but never over a heated debate with my hackles up. The real question is, why do I do it at all? not the insult/make a funny part... why do I put ;-p in a post on a forum. @_@ What? 90% are male in here? Heh! maybe 100%! I don't know WHAT Janet is @_@! Ah-Ha! no ;-) there. IRL, a man sticks his tongue out at me... we got issues. So... why do I do it here??? @_@ I'm sure glad I don't take myself, or anyone else for that matter, very seriously. Meh, human behavior is a Comedy Central Best of, at best!

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:emoticons: Smiley Face vs Tongue STICKING OUT? 2010/10/02 08:50:08 (permalink)

I'm a grandma bear, that's what I am. 

And I think it's more like 98% are male in here.  Where are all the women??!!
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:emoticons: Smiley Face vs Tongue STICKING OUT? 2010/10/02 09:01:05 (permalink)
    :-)

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:emoticons: Smiley Face vs Tongue STICKING OUT? 2010/10/02 11:47:21 (permalink)
    Where are all the women??!!

That's what I want to know!

But in a friendly argument or discussion, I think the protruding tongue means 'so there!', end of discussion, I won. Not so much an insult.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1