factory built PC

Author
chops2010
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 72
2010/12/05 11:59:00 (permalink)

factory built PC

Hi

I am going to be upgrading my PC - Base unit soon!

I really want something that has an I7 in it as on a P4 at the moment - i have spotted a few factory built from HP - as dont know much about PC's apart from i do need one that will handle loads of soft synths , plug ins and use audi all at the same time!

am i better looking at something someone can build or just go for the factory one and use a USB sound card !

cheers

Chris

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:factory built PC 2010/12/05 13:09:16 (permalink)
    either way works well. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you build one, you can control just about every aspect of it's specs. If you buy one, you get what the market offers.

I have been using a factory Dell lappy for 2.5 years with very few problems.

I recently decided to build one so it would not have all the crapware and bloatware on it. The new desk top cost about $800 and has some nice specs.... I reused an existing monitor.

many folks here are using off the shelf boxes with good results. Like I said... it's your call. Investigate for yourself and decide what is better for you.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:factory built PC 2010/12/05 13:23:52 (permalink)
    There are builders at the different online stores that I have been looking at. I think the name "systemax" at Newegg rings a bell. From what I understand, you are buying just the box and OS, so no bloatware. I haven't had any experience with these lessor known vendors but, you'd think they'd try harder:)

JSchild and Jim Rosenberry (sp?) are 2 builders that frequent this site a lot. They build and tweak great machines so I've heard. Just a little rich for my blood at this point.

Now, to HP. I had an HP that lasted 9 months and started crapping out. I went thru a cycle with them of back and forth for 3 tries. They never fixed it. A friend had the same experience. So, I'm a little hesitant of HP.

All that said, Building one is probably the best option if you can ever figure out what you need/want.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Jumbicat
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:factory built PC 2010/12/05 13:34:27 (permalink)
    The UA-1G is a good interface...has worked well for my needs.

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
    http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:factory built PC 2010/12/05 15:30:12 (permalink)
    Just some thoughts on off the shelf systems. They are often low ball prices to get you in the door and by the time you add more memory, ditch the on board video card for a decent one and then remove all the bloated trial ware software that you've paid for, the deal may not be as great as you think.  Personally if you don't want to build your own, I would talk to Scott or Jim and see what they can offer you. Another option is to go over to DUC and look in the section where people have posted known working combinations of hardware, copy and purchase what they have and have someone knowledgeable build the system for you.
    Coming from a P4, any i7 will be a huge improvement.

Just my 2 cents.

Windows 8 x64
    Intel i7 950 3.06ghz 6 GB DDR3 1333(1066) OCZ memory
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
    Delta 66.
    Seagate 1.0tb drives x4 OS, Audio, VST, Backup Stuff. 
    Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
    Faderport.
    Sonar X2, PreSonus 2.x, Reaper.

sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re:factory built PC 2010/12/06 10:42:37 (permalink)
    I was a long time believer in building my own, but my current DAW/everything else computer is an off the shelf Dell i7 thing (XPS something).  It is fast, stable and does everything just fine. 

I did spend an afternoon getting rid of all the crap it was loaded with, but once you do that you should be good to go.

If you have the money, by all means have a real DAW builder make one for ya, but for a little less dough, the off the shelf nowadays are pretty damn solid.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    BGoff
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:factory built PC 2010/12/06 11:38:50 (permalink)
    I am using an older HP quad core with 8 megs of ram. I also am using an Edirol FA-66 (firewire) for a sound card. That seems to work adequately.

If money is no problem build what you want.  If you are on a budget get a fast processor and a lot of ram. A good external sound card is adequate and finding an internal that fits (slots, drivers etc) is sometimes a problem.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1