Helpful Reply"faux demo" mode/ editing bug

Author
Puggles
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2018/06/11 01:12:36 (permalink)

"faux demo" mode/ editing bug

I recorded a video of the bug for better understanding.  Video here
I was trying to fix an editing bug that I cannot fix and I thought maybe Sonar was bugged, so I verified cache and now when I launch from the shortcut I've placed on my desktop (from the install folder) it launches Sonar in "Demo" mode.  and is giving no way to prove that I own the program, which I very much do.  So now on top of me not being able to solve the editing bug problem, I've created a new problem where Sonar doesn't see that I PAID for this program.

The editing bug I was referring to is when you take two clips on the same track and move them together (and create a crossfade, if so desired) I try to drag one of the clips to make sure it is in sync with the metronome and when I move the clip, the part that is crossfaded now has a "cut", or "gap" in it after being moved.  Sonar 4,5,7, or 8 that I've used in the past has NEVER done this, so why now?  When I would drag one of those clips, it would just slide accordingly with the crossfade (if applicable).  I could not find any option in the preferences menu to change this from happening.

80% of the time this works how it SHOULD and does and this bug does not show it's ugly face.  I have to assume this is a bug in the software since I have ALWAYS edited in Sonar the exact same way since Sonar 4 and this editing bug happens MOST of, but not all the time.

I am extremely frustrated.

Any help would be appreciated.
post edited by Puggles - 2018/06/11 03:17:22
Puggles
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 01:06:33 (permalink)
It's been months and I would like to bump this thread.  I've tried asking on twitter and I can't get a single response.  This is a make-or-break thing for me.  It never used to be like this. I have been a Cakewalk user for over a decade and this has never been an issue.  If this can't be fixed, unfortunately, I'm going to have to go to another DAW.
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 01:37:15 (permalink)
Puggles
If this can't be fixed, unfortunately, I'm going to have to go to another DAW.

I'm sure your crossfade thing can be worked out, although I'm not the one to help you with it.

I do, however, highly recommend that you DO go to another DAW, which is Cakewalk by BandLab, the free successor to SONAR. It's SONAR, but with new features and many bug fixes. It's faster and more stable. It looks better, and has some nice new features including additional algorithms for audio stretching and pitch shifting.

By itself, it doesn't come bundled with all the add-ons that SONAR Platinum did, but for people like you who PAID for SONAR, the great news is that you can install CbB alongside SONAR and still use all those extra features along with the new ones in CbB. Best of both programs.

As you've noticed, SONAR is now unsupported orphanware. CbB is not, and if you can't find help here in the forum you can submit a help ticket to an actual support technician.

Go here, create an account using the same email address and password you use here at cakewalk.com, download the BandLab Assistant, and you're good to go:

Http://www.bandlab.com/cakewalk

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 03:15:45 (permalink)
WRT demo mode, see this recommendation from a similar recent thread.
Puggles
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 03:16:18 (permalink)
I do use the Band labs version and I have the paid version of the previous sonar before they got bought out as well.  I don't know about using the two side by side though, I have never heard of that.  Also, my plugins that came with the legacy version don't work in the bandlabs version, like Breverb, Nomad etc..
scook
Forum Host
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 03:22:26 (permalink)
Puggles
 I don't know about using the two side by side though, I have never heard of that.  Also, my plugins that came with the legacy version don't work in the bandlabs version, like Breverb, Nomad etc..

All the plug-ins bundled with 64bit SONAR work in CbB. In fact, the current recommendation from BandLab is leave SONAR installed and upgrade to CbB so that CbB can make use of the bundled plug-ins. The upgrade works like a SONAR upgrade, IOW the program, user directory and Cakewalk Content install in separate folders and it updates the shared folders. All installed versions of SONAR and CbB will be available after the upgrade.
Puggles
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 03:28:38 (permalink)
Thanks for the info, any news on updates to this program?  Honestly, if that editing bug (I mention in my original post and posted a video link to) doesn't get fixed, I'm not even going to use this DAW anymore as that bug severely cripples my workflow.

I have looked over the preferences menu dozens of times and cannot find any option for fixing it (which is why I think it's a bug).  Honestly, If someone can find an answer to this, I will pay you via Paypal.
scook
Forum Host
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 03:30:35 (permalink)
CbB has been updated regularly. This post has links to all the updates notes.
Puggles
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 03:54:31 (permalink)
I have not found anyone else talking about this editing bug that I have and the program is being updated regularly, so am I the only one experiencing this?
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 09:27:14 (permalink)
Puggles
I have not found anyone else talking about this editing bug that I have and the program is being updated regularly, so am I the only one experiencing this?

search the forum using google, you'll find other similar posts

just a sec

msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 10:12:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jackson white 2018/10/20 15:43:49
Puggles

In general, you can get around the clip editing bugs by using bounce-to-clips between edits.

Also, in your example you were moving the clip around a lot to get the right position. Before you try the second move, undo the first using CTRL+Z. When you're happy with it, bounce-to-clips.

The other thing I find helps, is to have the "create one clip per file" option checked in the save dialog.

Without this checked, Cakewalk/SONAR saves all its clip in the one file with internal references as to where each clip starts/stops. These internal references can get corrupted, although regular bounce-to-clips helps to refresh them.

I guess the idea behind having the one file was for performance reasons. This is less of a concern if you're using an SSD.

So in summary, use bounce-to-clips often - even if it's on each clip, bouncing to itself; and have the "create one clip per file" option checked.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 12:27:24 (permalink)
You might try using Command Center to reinstall Sonar. This time make sure you have the shortcuts where you want them. In the meantime use Cakewalk by Bandlab. It is a very good version. 

Best
John
Puggles
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 17:03:45 (permalink)
msmcleod
Puggles

In general, you can get around the clip editing bugs by using bounce-to-clips between edits.

Also, in your example you were moving the clip around a lot to get the right position. Before you try the second move, undo the first using CTRL+Z. When you're happy with it, bounce-to-clips.

The other thing I find helps, is to have the "create one clip per file" option checked in the save dialog.

Without this checked, Cakewalk/SONAR saves all its clip in the one file with internal references as to where each clip starts/stops. These internal references can get corrupted, although regular bounce-to-clips helps to refresh them.

I guess the idea behind having the one file was for performance reasons. This is less of a concern if you're using an SSD.

So in summary, use bounce-to-clips often - even if it's on each clip, bouncing to itself; and have the "create one clip per file" option checked.

To manipulate and fine tune the editing of the two clip to create perfect crossfades is a pain as it is when I have to click on them a certain way so the program doesn't make unwanted cuts every time is enough of a pain in the butt, but if I did and then bounced them, what if I want to come back and do something different to them later?  If they are bounced aren't they "one" and then merged together?  So they can't be reseparated and manipulated after they are bounced.  I used to just wait until I was finalizing my project and then bounce all drums together, all guitars together and etc... and then do any final compression to them as a bounced group before combining into one. 

So if I bounce each clip after I edit it quickly, doesn't that make it more difficult for me to do anything else to the "bounced slip" later on?  What if I change my mind later on in the project?

If this is happening to very few people, could someone take a screenshot of their preferences menus and show me?  Maybe there's some really deep hidden option that I'm not applying, or maybe it's in the smaller options menu at the top-ish left of the DAW (were crossfade options are at)?
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/20 19:10:09 (permalink)
Puggles
msmcleod
Puggles

To manipulate and fine tune the editing of the two clip to create perfect crossfades is a pain as it is when I have to click on them a certain way so the program doesn't make unwanted cuts every time is enough of a pain in the butt, but if I did and then bounced them, what if I want to come back and do something different to them later?  If they are bounced aren't they "one" and then merged together?  So they can't be reseparated and manipulated after they are bounced.  I used to just wait until I was finalizing my project and then bounce all drums together, all guitars together and etc... and then do any final compression to them as a bounced group before combining into one. 

So if I bounce each clip after I edit it quickly, doesn't that make it more difficult for me to do anything else to the "bounced slip" later on?  What if I change my mind later on in the project?

If this is happening to very few people, could someone take a screenshot of their preferences menus and show me?  Maybe there's some really deep hidden option that I'm not applying, or maybe it's in the smaller options menu at the top-ish left of the DAW (were crossfade options are at)?

I meant bounce each clip to itself - so select each individual clip and bounce one at a time.

If you select more than one clip, then yes, it will merge them. But you don't want this. Just select the one clip at a time, and right click->bounce-to-clips.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/21 00:32:26 (permalink)
msmcleod
This is less of a concern if you're using an SSD.

Oh dear.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/21 06:24:45 (permalink)
I work with moving clips all the time and have never come across this problem. I just went into a project of mine and I had just got through editing (Spliting clips moveing them over and on top of each other) and went back in that same project and tried to repro this issue and could not.

CbB doesn't do this. Use it.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/21 14:55:00 (permalink)
Grem

CbB doesn't do this. Use it.

Um, isn't that video in the OP of CbB (the upper left corner of the app is orange and says "Cakewalk")? It is almost like that move operation is baking in the fades on each iteration (the graphical representation), rather than working with the raw audio data representation throughout. Pulling apart two cross-faded overlapping clips should make them both grow (and they don't), so is like the algorithm only has subtraction in it. Each time he releases the mouse the "raw" representation is actually the faded values. The clip duration changing near the end is just "not good."

I have not used this functionality, but there is definitely something amiss with the cross-fade algorithm in it.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: "faux demo" mode/ editing bug 2018/10/22 17:47:28 (permalink)
mettelus

Um, isn't that video in the OP of CbB 

Yes you are correct mettelus. Sorry about that Puggles. 

Puggles, if this happens to you often, which you indicate in your posts, that leads me to think something has to be wrong with your system. I mean, if this was a common problem, as much as I work with clips I would have seen it at least once by now, but I don't remember it happening. And again, if it was a common problem, people would be here screaming all about a big bug like that.

So let's look at your system. As a suggestion, what video card do you use and when was the last time t had it's drivers updated?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1