favorite backup software

Author
Westside Steve
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 794
2014/03/11 09:13:14 (permalink)

favorite backup software

yes I realize this topic is never ending but now that it's 2014 I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the most trustworthy and more important simpleest way to backup a computer. I have two 1 terabyte internal drives a few 1 - 2 external drives for sounds video and stuff and a 3 terabyte drive USB 3 external for backup. I'd like to be able to simply clone the drive and back them up incrementally.
Acronis still the best and easiest? I would be happy enough to pay for a Cloud Drive but I've heard they are slow and limited in the amount of data.

is anyone using and loving the windows backup? I'm using 8.1.

thanks for your input

WSS

22 Replies Related Threads

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/11 11:56:15 (permalink)
    I just have Windows backup with Win7. I have Acronis, but have not used it that much. Some others have used another program and Acronis did not cut it for them. Perhaps like Fireberd will see the thread and tell you what he is using now I don't remember at the moment. Back threads may hold the answer if looking or searching for what some others use for backup.

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/11 12:31:47 (permalink)
    paragon over acronis all day long..

PLUS I use carbonite.. it has saved my butt 2 times.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/11 13:08:37 (permalink)
    I use TrueImage booted from CD to image the system drive, and always run an integrity check from the CD booted program as well. I do not use an image file to back up data, for most I do not even compress it with a "repairable" format like zip. I am not willing to commit data to a proprietary format that I may not be able to unscramble with the original program when I need it. Even the backups created by MS operating systems have not always been recognized by subsequent versions of the OS. I keep data in its native format by copying with Richcopy or Synchtoy or Cobian Backup.

Westside Steve
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 794
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/11 13:32:09 (permalink)
    Carbonite doesn't take up a lot of resources? And it's quick enough? I just looked at their website it seems like plus would work for my recording system and various external drives.

WSS
    post edited by Westside Steve - 2014/03/11 14:09:29
    jcschild
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/11 16:38:39 (permalink)
    carbonite is very slow the first time took days to complete but then it seems fast enough..
    carbonite backs up your stuff,
    Paragon allows  you to reimage your system in case of failure. 

Scott
    ADK
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/12 06:58:27 (permalink)
    I'm using Macrium Reflect (paid version).  I used to use Acronis True Image but ran into problems with Acronis failing to restore (two times - didn't get a third) so I dumped it.  I tried the free version of Macrium and liked it so bought a license for all my PC's.  The majority of the techies that I deal with on other computer forums are using Macrium.

Macrium and Acronis (and probably others) have two options for creating a bootable "rescue" disc or bootable USB flash drive.  The Linux based version or the WinPE version.  I've had problems with the Linux based versions not recognizing all the hard drives and thus only recommend creating the WinPE version.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/15 16:12:02 (permalink)
    I've used True Image about a billion times.   LOL
    Has worked every time for me...

Paragon works just fine too

IMO, Backup of the OS is something best done completely outside the OS.

Also, don't do incremental backups.
    Incremental backups mean you have a backup dependent on another backup (increasing the odds of a problem).

Carbonite?
    Scott, you must be a patient man.  :)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    fireberd
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/16 07:15:58 (permalink)
    Jim, I never had a problem with Acronis when I had Vista and then Win 7 with an Intel motherboard system.  However, after building a new system with a Gigabyte Z77 motherboard (and a second system with an ASUS Z77 motherboard) I started having problems.  I tried Acronis 2011, 2012 and 2013 (I had the Plus version) both a standard Acronis Linux bootable rescue disk and a WinPE version and neither would rebuild the hard drive from a backup on the ASUS motherboard system.  The original motherboard was an ASRock but it failed and when it failed it corrupted the hard drive. The ASRock was replaced with an ASUS P8Z77-LE Plus motherboard (using an i5 3550 CPU).

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    jcschild
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/17 14:46:36 (permalink)
    Hey Jim,
    LOL yeah.. after the initial back up (days) its effective for what I do with it
    I will never loose another file
    my wife will never lose music/pics and that alone is worth it.. :-)
    problem with images is they tend to be old.. my server is the only thing that gets daily then weekly back ups in 3 places.. not about to create dual redundant raid 6 arrays for the wife (thought about it trust me, never see someone woman up a computer like her)

Scott
    ADK
    Jay Tee 4303
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 246
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/18 10:07:40 (permalink)
    Windows "Copy" command.

I have backups from 1991 I can't access on a tape format I can't even remember, and more yet on Iomega Zip discs.

Nothing gets between me and my data, ever again. First thing I do after bringing a box up is OS patch to date, AV, AV patch to date, and create  a directory named DATA on the root. Every file I create with almost zero exceptions is filed there, and the exceptions like Bookmarks, Projects, etc, get filed to BACKUPS under DATA, on backup day. Then its simply a matter of copying the DATA directory to the backup medium, and opening three files, top, middle and bottom, to verify.

No verify, no backup.

(That's a simplification of the process, for users with a single machine. Here, DATA directories from each node are first integrated into the DATA directory on the master file server, then the file server is backed up as described above.

Transfer is via a 1TB MyBookLive hanging off the switch on the LAN side of the demarc, no more Windows version networking BS tolerated either. Backups go one of two 2TB  USB drives, rotated on and off site to a safe deposit box. That gives me at least 3 copies of all files at all times, except incrementals. Lost the LAN twice to virus, individual drives at times, but I have every digital file I ever created except noted above, and I can find them when needed, too.)

IBM PC/XT
    1 MB RAM
    8087 Math Co-Processor
    5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
    Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
    jdwroten
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/25 00:21:09 (permalink)
    Your post mentioned trustworthy and simplest. These are the two most important factors to me. For this reason, I don't use third party software for my backups. I use Windows Robocopy - I'll post the command line options below if anyone is interested. I schedule the backup weekly with Windows Task Scheduler and leave my computer on overnight when this is done. My backup goes to an external drive and it is an exact copy of my content files on my working drive. If there is any problem, I can drag and drop missing files or directories from the backup with Windows Explorer. I can also browse the backup before I restore, verify that it was done, etc. I think this scheme give the most flexibility and is least likely to fail. It also doesn't require any additional software purchase. I've come to this after going through numerous third party packages, which are always more complex than this and often don't allow direct browsing of the backup itself.

My actual external drive is a Linux box running Raid 5 with multiple 3TB drives, although the scheme I am suggesting will work nicely with external USB drives. 

I use Paragon for an image copy of the C: partition, but I don't run this except when I do fairly major system updates that I wouldn't want to have to recover manually.

command line:
    robocopy /source-directory /destination-directory /MIR /FFT /Z /XA:SH /R:0 /XJD /NP

Sonar X3e Producer, Win7X64, Roland Quad-Capture, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Mackie MCU Pro, KRK RP5G3-NA Rokit Studio Monitors, ART Pro VLA II Compressor, Crown XLS-1500 Amp, Sennheiser HD598 Headphones, Roland A-800 PRO Midi Controler, Moog Slimphatty, Moog CP-251, Electro-Harmonix Voice Box, NI Maschine MK2
    Markwilson101
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/03/29 03:40:18 (permalink)
    Yes the paid version of Macrium Reflect is good backup software. I always prefer to use it.
    christi378
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/01 02:18:52 (permalink)
    I've seen lots of interesting backup solutions in my time, whatever you choose, remember that it's when you are restoring the data that it's key to be in control. in the end my experience is that you can check this . You can save up to 100 TB of free data storage. It supports majorly Windows, Mac, Linux ,etc.
    johnkeel
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/01 06:11:12 (permalink)
    Got a NAS server with bacula and cruciblewds, getting full hard drive backups and also serving system images so i can pxe boot from it if i want to test anything (windows/linux).

For full system backup it can also be manually done using, well, nothing, just Windows Powershell:
    In Windows 8.1 you can still do it, open Powershell and hit:
    wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:E: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet
    Target is where you want to store the backup
    Include is the drive you want to backup

To restore, create a windows bootable usb pen, boot from it, choose repair and then restore from image.
    In my laptop i always have a system image in my third hdd, when going to a gig take a backup drive (same as your system) even if your drive dies, just replace it and restore.

My Personal WebsiteMy Band - SULLEN

Sonar Professional powered by Custom-Built Laptop with Xeon E5 2650V2 - 32GB 1600Mhz Memory - 2x SSD 512GB Samsung 840PRO RAID0 - Texas Inst. Firewire800 - RME Fireface802
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/01 20:10:18 (permalink)
    Acronis has saved my bacon probably more than a dozen times already.

It's amazing how if you try out a freebie, or even visit a web page, how sometimes something gets added to the system. I'm pretty good at problem solving but there have been a bunch of times where something inexplicable was going on, while just a few days prior everything had been great. When I restore from Acronis, which is just a couple clicks, everything pops back to the previous backup and eliminates the guesswork to remove the issue. It's been a remarkable help for me.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/01 20:56:47 (permalink)
    I used Acronis 2013 yesterday to restore and then re-installed some software after learning the quirks of how it installed itself the first time.

I was reminded that on my system the Acronis CD will sometimes launch and get hung up. I've had to cycle through power up a few times to get Acronis to launch from the boot CD. That's what I did yesterday.

I might try Paragon as a back up to my back up strategy.

If I were to try it which package would I use? They seem to have a few tiers ranging fro free to enterprise. What's the best all around choice if you don't mind spending a few bucks?

Thanks.

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/10 07:57:34 (permalink)
    bump

fireberd
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/10 08:24:48 (permalink)
    I have the Macrium Pro version.  3 PC license package.

I like Macirum's utility to create a WinPE bootable rescue disc.  It is not a completely manual process as Acronis has.
    I had problems with the Acronis Linux version rescue disc not loading or working correctly on one PC. The WinPE version worked perfectly.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/10 09:25:28 (permalink)
    Thanks.

I'm thinking I'd like to try Paragon. I'm wondering which version I should try. They have a free version as well as some small business packages.

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/18 18:36:34 (permalink)
    I've been using this for as long as I can remember so I couldn't even tell how it compares to anything else.  I do a lot of software beta testing so I do more backup images and restores of different Windows flavours than anyone sane would and it's never put a foot wrong for me in at least 10 years.

I never install it on an OS I always perform these operations directly from bootable media so the OS doesn't interfere.  I think you may have to install it on the OS just to create the bootable media of your own choosing but I've used the same CD for so long now I can't remember.

$40 for the standard version which I would imagine is the version applicable to most but there's a comparison chart giving information on the two paid for options.

http://www.disk-image.com/

The key thing for this type of tool for me is reliability rather than squashing a couple of extra Mb out of the resulting image or beating the back up and restore times of the competition by the odd minute. 

This one simply ain't ever broke for me so I've never needed to fix it with anything else.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/18 22:39:57 (permalink)
    I'm just your average Joe when it comes to PC stuff. But the tech I bought my first machine off of in 2001 told me about backing up. Best advice ever. And she ( that's right) built that computer with 2 x 10 Gig Hard drives. One was for OS and the other one DATA.  So I have always had at least 2 drives. On her advice I also bought one of those first external boxes you added the drive yourself too. I still have those hard drives as they all were taken out of service before they were worn out.
    I would purchase a new drive at least once a year a they grew in size and speed. I never delete data. I just add more storage. A simple back up system that has always worked for me. Don't delete, and keep your drives fresh.  I have had only 2 drives die on me due to power issues, but that only resulted in loosing stuff like my bookmarks and Outlook Express e mail. 
    Now with Chrome you never loose bookmarks, and nobody uses client based email. 

Just a while ago I had a OS drive with a funky SATA port connector. I had no problem cloning it using  http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm
    I did some research about Cloning/ back up software and this one got a lot of good reviews. 
    During my research there was a lot of issues reported with Acronis. 
    I have used the EaseUS back up a few times as well but don't really need it as all my data is always in 3 or more places. Those backups are done manually and using "save as". 

I also now store all my word documents and office files on Dropbox. I have Dropbox on 4 computers so those files are updated and stored locally as well as the cloud. That's 5 copies without my intervention. It rocks. 

Photos, Don't ever erase an SD card. Why? they are cheap. I pull the card once a year and store them in a little wallet. 
    Our family dumps our pictures to each others laptops etc. All our pictures are shared and stored at least 4 times this way. 
     Some use Dropbox or Google Drive for additional back ups too. 
    I even have Sonar backed up on my Mother in laws computer. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Living Room Rocker
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re: favorite backup software 2014/11/19 12:32:00 (permalink)
    jcschildparagon over acronis all day long...

Hi, Scott.  Does Paragon allow cloning of a dynamic HDD?  I have Acronis '13, but it cannot clone a dynamic format which is on my laptop for whatever ****** reason.  It is actually a GPT disk on my laptop, which Acronis believes is dynamic, but cloning is impossible.  I've read the Paragon supports GPT type disks, but do you know if it can clone GPT types?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Kind regards, Living Room Rocker
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1