Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue

Author
DaveClark
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 956
2007/04/27 17:10:38 (permalink)

Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue

Greetings all,

For those who don't already know, Computer Music Magazine has published a plugin special complete with a CD with 200 (free) plugins. Yes, I know, others have already done this.

While at first I wondered if I should save myself the money, I'm glad I was in a hurry and decided to just go ahead and get this "Special Issue."

First, it's really nice to have them all organized and at a single location --- convenience.

Second, they picked a "Top 50." Although I have hundreds of plugins, in this premium list are quite a few I've never heard about. I assume that is probably true for many here.

Third, they've requested and received "special editions" of some of the plugins you have --- i.e. more patches, enhanced versions closer to the commercial offerings, etc.

Fourth, they're all free. Some have commercial versions, but the ones they talk about are all free.

Fifth, I can't believe how much interesting stuff is here. I thought I had seen a lot. Nope. Not even started....

Sixth, in addition to describing how to install and use the plugins, the reviewers describe very useful tips of how to use these plugins in ways I hadn't considered. This has caused me to reconsider a number of plugins that I had previously dismissed as pretty much useless.

I've never seen such a great compilation of information about plugins anywhere else, including KVR-whatever and other plugin sites. If you have any interest in free plugins, I highly recommend this issue of CM. It's better than all the other plugin-dedicated magazines I've seen.

Regards to all,
Dave Clark

21 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/04/27 21:03:04 (permalink)
    Someone is in plugin heaven
    cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    johneboy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/04/28 02:03:15 (permalink)
    (doing my best home simpson impersonation) mmmmmm...plug-ins.

is that issue on the stands? when did it come out? how much was it? if i cant find it, can i have your copy?

thanks for the heads up!

Gear:
    Home Studio 6 xl
    echo mia sound card
    korg k49 controller
    Ibanez acoustic
    Ovation Acoustic
    A Mouse
    Computer Specs: Pentium 4 - 3.00 ghz, RAM 895 MB, 32 bit OS, running Vista
    DaveClark
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/04/28 02:25:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Someone is in plugin heaven
    cj

Hmmmm. I've been here before (overloaded with choices) and I'm not sure it's really "heaven." However, it is the biggest collection of good (well, maybe just "not terrible") stuff I've seen, with really good variation.

ORIGINAL: johneboy

(doing my best home simpson impersonation) mmmmmm...plug-ins.

is that issue on the stands? when did it come out? how much was it? if i cant find it, can i have your copy?

thanks for the heads up!

Yes, Computer Music Special, Volume 22, Freeware 2007. $16.99 USD. I would quote Charleton Heston, but I can't recall exactly what he said about cold, dead fingers (and I'm too tired to even Google it --- from trying out this stuff!).

Regards,
    Dave Clark

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/04/28 04:08:33 (permalink)
    Hi hear that Dave, someyimes its overwelming choosing a simple compressor when you have 50 to choose from, that is my case anyhow. i recently went crazy and got the waves diamond, tracks, KJ golden, voxengo analog suit, and about 5 soft synths in just one day off shopping last week. you want to talk about being overwelmed with choices and also just learning the little newaunces of each plug is going to take me awhile. I just close my eyes and click, what ever i get i use. Just kidding ofcourse. I wasless stressed with just the sonar plugs, but that should go away in a few months when i figre out which plugs i like and what there good for in my stly of music.
    Theres a fine line between heaven and hell and all the rest is purgatory.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    DaveClark
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/04/28 16:29:07 (permalink)
    Hi CJ,

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

...choosing a simple compressor when you have 50 to choose from, that is my case anyhow.

As you are surely aware, some people recommend choosing one tool for a purpose and learning it well. For my case in doing all sorts of audio, this just won't work. I need more than one or two because not one of them works in every way I need them to. (For example, I often use one outside of a VST host, and I want one that is a lookahead. Other times I'm inside a VST host.... Sometimes I'm booted in Linux, so where is the GNU/Linux Sonitus compressor? And so on.)

Those who recommend learning one tool well are probably also restricting themselves in other ways which makes this tactic work.

I'm glad to hear that you went for broke there!! *Please* let us know how they compare once you get a feeling for them and have some time.

Best regards,
    Dave Clark

Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/04/29 23:52:31 (permalink)
    Those who recommend learning one tool well are probably also restricting themselves in other ways which makes this tactic work.

Which is fine as long as they're aware of that fact.

Glad to hear you're happy with CM's special, Dave. Should keep you off the streets fer a while, eh ?

As for you, CJ... well, you're just utterly bonkers, mate - that Diamond bundle will keep you occupied until Ragnarok !
    Hope you enjoy all of your new toys.
    DaveClark
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/07 15:25:00 (permalink)
    Greetings all,

Some of the names of the plugins, which you can probably find online, hence this list for those of you that don't have the rag and CD:

Sampler:

HighLife. Very nice one. Simple to use. VST sampler *and* VSTi host. You can "freeze" instruments, export (simple) SFZ's, edit waveform, set looping points, etc. Filters, modulation, and so on.

Drum Machines:

1) Dr-Fusion 2: Drum synth and sampler. Didn't do much with it yet, but seems OK.

2) GTG DrumSampler (also GTG DrumSampler 2): Seems OK, also.

3) ErsDrums.

4) DigiDrum. Didn't care for this very much, but got a very good writeup. The version on the CD is a brand new one.

5) Drumatic 3. I myself never found a use for this classic synthetic drum machine. It does sound pretty good for purely synthetic drums, though.

Real Instruments and ROMplers

I wasn't impressed with many of these:

1) DSK Brass

2) StringSynth

3) MrRay: Haven't tried this one yet.

4) Oddly Organ

5) Organ One

6) String Theory: Why do people like this one?

7) Strat-A-Various 2 CM: I could probably find a use for this one.

8) SampleTank 2 Free: Adware.

9) Sonic Synth 2 Free: More adware.

Synthesizers:

1) ASynth 1.01: Nice sound, simple to use.

2) Crystal: One of the best.

3) KarmaFX Synth: Haven't done much with this. As I recall, it was pretty good.

4) Augur: Very nice. Like Prophet.

5) Synth1: Interesting. I'd like to test this one out more.

6) Voyager: Haven't done anything with this one. Page full of knobs. Had a good writeup.

7) daHornet: Too simple, IMO.

8) FreeAlpha 3: Classic free synth from Peter Linsener (CronoX3, etc.).

Effects:

1) Steroid Bouncer: Seems like a very useful basic tool, but I haven't had a need for it yet. Probably *will* end up using this one.

2) Ambience: Liked it.

3) Minion: Haven't loaded.

4) Nebula 2 Free: Adware, but unbelievably good stuff, and a pretty large library. This one is going places.

5) Electri-Q CM: Very nice filter with lots of useful presets. Probably one of the best filters you can find. This one is an enhanced version.

6) Guitar Suite CM: I really liked this stuff. I'll probably use instead of anything else I have.

7) RetroDelay: Also really liked this one. You can do a lot more than just delay.

8) Endorphin: 2-band compressor from Sascha Eversmeir, now programming Samplitude-related programs. Very nice compressor.

9) Stardust: Haven't tried it, but looks promising.

10) SIR: Haven't tried it. I have my own convolver plus Perfect Space.

Sequencers (ho-hum): Reaper and ACID Xpress (lame, useless version of ACID).

Trackers:

1) reViSiT: Tracker as a VST plugin. Great idea.

2) BeRO Tracker.

3) Buzé: Buzz clone. (Still can't believe what happened to the source code for Buzz....)

Miscellaneous:

1) GSnap: Pitch correction. I have other stuff, so haven't tried this one. Looks like it should be pretty good, and it got a good writeup.

2) Vinyl: From iZotope. I had already tried the downloaded one. Sounds pretty good.

3) DSpeech: Speech synthesis. Microsoft Mary and crew....

4) Turntablist: Haven't tried this one, but looks very promising. Supposedly can do almost anything you would want to do with a turntable.

5) Replacer: This one replaces a drum sound with another one in a WAV file automatically. I just wish it was velocity sensitive. If you had a kick drum recording and didn't like it, you can replace all of the kicks with other kicks automagically. Unfortunately, they're all at the same volume level.

6) ChordSpace: Used to create chord progressions by clicking on symbols on the screen. Sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it. I use BIAB for this kind of thing, but this appears to give more freedom.

Some of my favorite stuff isn't even written up:

Krakli (Strat-A-Various CM) has a number of really wild synths. I loved them: Gargoyle, Lizard, Karnage, etc.

Other names: Triple Cheese, GSinth, GSinth2. Krackli Stuff (I love this!): Cyngus, SuperRing, EffEm, vurtbox, mini-vurtbox, Chill, Richman2, Who, StringZ. Invader, Oatmeal, Poly Phase Distortion Synth, Tripp Lead, String Sculptor V2.0, Classic Auto Filter, KTGranulator. Betabugs stuff: GetBlitchJR, SpinBug, WideBug, Corrosive, SVF, Moneo, BugPass 1.1, W1Limiter, CrayonFilter, MonstaChorus, FlofiDeluxe 1.1, Simple Squeeze, and PhaseBug. Genecomp from Buzzroom and: Genecomp3, Grancomp, Grancomp3, BB303i, BCheese, BUZ, Buzmaxi_11, Buzmaxi_2, BuxVintageMaxe_beta2, FilterONE (not too bad), LPLI, OctBuz_ST, OctBuz, PhaseFreq02, RoomReverb, StBox401, TWOX, WOX. DigitalFishPhones (great stuff): Blockfish, Floorfish, Spitfish, Normalizer, THD, Cominion. GVST: GBand GChorus, GCkip, etc. Interruptor: Wow and Fluttter, Echolive, Dub Siren (unique), Tape Delay, Analogic Delay, Bionic Delay (this one is weird), Echomania (nice). More from Krakli: Bertatron2, Effec, Isol8tor, TrAmp, TriPod, Xciter4. More from KarmaFX: KarmaFX Filter, KarmaFX Deelay, KarmaFX Equalizer, KarmaFX Filter, etc. MJ stuff: MjCompressor, MjHarmonicPingOnly, etc. All the mda stuff.... SlimSlowSlider compressors and so on. Voxengo plugins, stuff from Big Tick, E-Phonic, Fuzzpilz, White Noise, and Fretted Synth.

Ok, I'm getting tired...

Regards to all,
    Dave Clark

P.S. (on edit): Please let me know if I spelled something wrong so that I can correct it and people can actually find what it was supposed to be.... Thanks.

post edited by DaveClark - 2007/05/07 15:30:11
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/07 17:18:21 (permalink)
    Methinks I'm popping over to the newsagent tomorrow - hope they (still) have it, or it's ordering online... thanks for taking the trouble of listing the goodies -already have some of them, and I mostly agree with your findings on those, so it really gets my appetite up...

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Roflcopter
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/10 21:41:36 (permalink)
    Picked it up, has some true beauts, and one HUGE disappointment - that sonikfree synth does not do 1 single thing, and even crashes sonar when you try to simply load a sound - and that after a going through a LOT of paperwork, registering, giving all your personal data etc. - for ZIP, nada, nothing.

Going to delete it, and seriously wonder if I will ever bother to install one single IK Multimedia product EVER again (already was totally underwhelmed by that Jimi Hendrix thing). They achieved that much for all their trouble. What should you call this? Vapourware? Solicit-ware? Yuck.

DaveClark
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/10 23:27:37 (permalink)
    Roflcopter,

Thanks for reporting back about your experience.

I'm sorry to hear about Sonik Synth 2 Free. They should have left out that one, SampleTank 2 Free, and Acid Xpress. I also don't think that Reaper (shareware) should have been included, but it's a relatively new program, so that's perhaps understandable; people should be made aware of it.

Hopefully the rest is all good for you! I found a number of new things and new uses for old programs that I never would have discovered on my own.

Best regards,
    Dave Clark

Roflcopter
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/11 10:33:50 (permalink)
    Yeah same here - this is like a kids candystore, saves me yonks of downloading, and more importantly FINDING what to download and sniff at

EVERYONE who makes tunes, should try that Chordspace, it takes some setting up, but then it just blows you away in all its simplicity - and gives instant inspiration to those with a creative block. Whoever came up with that should get an award, it's pure, undiluted genius.

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/ChordSpace/

stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/14 20:35:43 (permalink)
    Anyone in the US get this yet ?

MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/14 21:50:09 (permalink)
    We purchased it at the Borders Bookstore in Waldorf, Maryland about two weeks ago. At that time there was only two on the shelf (and I got one of them).

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Roflcopter
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/14 21:55:31 (permalink)
    You know, I might even subscribe to this mag, their next issue (06/06/07) apparently will have a working version of this little beauty:

http://synthmaker.co.uk/index.html

stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/28 22:09:46 (permalink)
    stay away from :

sampletank free

soniksynth2 free

and vinyl isn't on the cdrom
    you gotta download it from izotope

I think they wasted a lot of space on drum machines
    Roflcopter
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/05/29 08:34:05 (permalink)
    Did you manage to get it working? I saw later in the mag there's maybe something I needed to do before installing, with free samples etc. but then again, it should not have crashed my Sonar.

BTW found a really really cool trick to make that Vinyl work as you would HOPE it did - run that Bluecat Peak meter over your song, let it write an envelope on the peaks, and then assign that envelope to Vinyl. You have to play with what effect you set it on, some are better than others, but it gives it a *much* more convincing effect. Wonder even if Vinyl Pro sounds that good.

Roflcopter
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/06/19 13:53:00 (permalink)
    apparently will have a working version of this little beauty

For those interested in creating their own VST's and (simple/medium) synths, I just picked up the new issue with Synthmaker CM, I don't think you could do better for 15 euros. Up to 3000 modules can be used in this version, more than enough for any VST, I should think.

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/page/computermusic?entry=computer_music_june_issue_cmu114

DaveClark
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/06/19 14:31:59 (permalink)
    Greetings all,

Roflcopter is correct about a recent edition of CM. However, I was disappointed to see that the Code module in "SynthMaker CM" is locked so that you cannot write or edit any code at all --- even the very limited type of code that is possible in SynthMaker and which is practically useless for the kind or audio programs I write. Whereas the "Personal" and regular versions of SynthMaker might be OK or marginally so for some types of serious work, this particular version is *very* crippled compared to a C++ compiler and the VST SDK. There are also restrictions about what you can do with the results --- no use of the software for commercial purposes, but I'm not sure what that means if you're only using it to produce commercial music rather than commercial plugins. My impression is that they don't want you using it in any setting that is in any way commercial. It is fun to play with as a toy, and it might be useful in classroom or training environments.

Regards to all,
    Dave Clark

Roflcopter
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/06/19 14:52:44 (permalink)
    My impression is that they don't want you using it in any setting that is in any way commercial. It is fun to play with as a toy, and it might be useful in classroom or training environments.

Sure, it's only intended as such. If I'd get any significant ideas from playing with it though, I could upgrade to a more serious version, or just go for a fullblown C++/Delphi compiler indeed - but those don't come as (essentially) freebies.

DaveClark
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/06/19 17:38:40 (permalink)
    Hi Roflcopter,

Yes, I understand. I had assumed that you were very well aware of all this and was just trying to warn others not to get their hopes up too awfully high. I view it more as a demo without expiration, although the real demo does actually let you edit code modules --- and make new ones, if I recall correctly.

I guess overall I was quite disappointed not only with the CM version, but with SynthMaker itself, including the fact that the demo expires too soon. I think it's priced way too high for what it is, and the "Personal" version is ridiculously high, considering all the restrictions on it. Adding to all this the fact that I don't see any way to merge anything other than really simple code, it's a huge disappointment all 'round for me. I would not pay more than $50 USD or 50 Euros for the full version unless it improves significantly or unless I suddenly see a massive income potential coming my way to reimburse me. I may be willing to participate in a group buy.

Best regards,
    Dave Clark
    Roflcopter
    RE: Computer Music 200 Plugins Issue 2007/06/19 18:38:58 (permalink)
    I would not pay more than $50 USD or 50 Euros for the full version unless it improves significantly or unless I suddenly see a massive income potential coming my way to reimburse me. I may be willing to participate in a group buy.

I think I can fully sympathize with that. I just need this thing to get my head sorted out regarding a few ideas I might want to VST - but if they pan out, I will want to do so commercially, I think.

In that case, I will certainly refresh your memory regarding the group buy, although I am also looking into affordable compiler-based solutions that have no restrictions as to functionality or place any commercial limitations on your product.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1