Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
2008/04/08 12:30:16 (permalink)

Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE

Do you use this configuration?
I cannot seem to make it work.
Any input on the specific details on how to make this work would be helpful.

I want to use this on my laptop for song ideas while "on the road".

Although I could use them, I hate the sounds of GM. Cheesy.
post edited by bapu - 2008/04/09 12:39:17

24 Replies Related Threads

funkycornwall
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 13:34:19 (permalink)
    I acn't see why you would need something like MIDI Yoke. Surely Jammer is an auto-arrange program so you would do your auto-arranging of the songs in that - make drum parts, bass line etc etc and then after you have finished save as MIDI file. then load MIDI file into Sonar and do the serious tweaking and adding stuff to make it sound halfway decent.

Or am I missing something?
    post edited by funkycornwall - 2008/04/08 13:59:02
    bapu
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 14:00:10 (permalink)
    As I understand it, with MIDI yoke you are using SONAR 7PE as a "host" for the cool instruments avaible in the form of Soft-Synths.

That way I don't have to hear my cheesy $1.00 GM wave table of c**p sounds.

Nothing wrong with the arrange, dump to MIDI, import into SONAR. Just not the route I want to go. Until of course, I'm ready to really make it a song, in which case I will import it into SONAR.

Please everyone, with all due respoect, do not turn this thread into a debate on the process I'm choosing.

I'm looking for specific help with the config I described.

post edited by bapu - 2008/04/09 12:39:41
    dhsherbert
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 14:54:53 (permalink)
    Ed,

Would this help? (from the SoundTrek site)

· Can I use my DXi or VST soft synth with JAMMER?

Since JAMMER is a 'MIDI only' application, it does not support digital audio or soft synths. If you have a program that can host your synth and receive multi channel MIDI input (such as Sonar) you can use the virtual MIDI port driver MIDI Yoke available from www.midiox.com. This allows you to route the MIDI output of JAMMER to the MIDI input of your VST/DXi host. Effectively, the host just sits there in the background and plays what JAMMER sends it.

There is a MIDI Yoke template for Sonar 4 here: Sonar MIDI Yoke template

Doug

bapu
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 15:25:35 (permalink)
    dhsherbert,

Been there, done that. I have the template.

When I follow what is said there, it does not work for me. Jammer sends MIDI thru MIDI Yoke to SONAR. I can see it "playing" via the MIDI meters but no sound comes out of an Audio Track with a soft-synth that is the recepient of the MIDI track in SONAR. However, if I say the audio track's output is my GM wavetable I get sounds played. Hencre, SONAR is good (i.e. sounds can and do happen), MIDI Yoke is good (as it "plays" SONAR) and of course Jammer is good.

I just cannot get Jammer to pay my soft-synths thru MIDI Yoke. I am obviously doing somethig wrong. I have tweaked and pushed and shoved the "obvious" settings and nothing seesm to work for me.

I'm looking for someone who has done this to walk me thru the details of how they got it to work.

Desperate Dan
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1554
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 15:40:33 (permalink)
    I'm looking for someone who has done this to walk me thru the details of how they got it to work.
    Load Rolands Virtual Sound Canvas at least that's a bit better than Using GM Wavetable soft synth that Windows supplies. Good Luck Trying to get Jammer to Play Sonar, I don't think it's do-able.

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 16:43:08 (permalink)
    Sorry if I'm suggesting something too obvious, but... Did you turn Input Echo on in the MIDI track?

(Seems logical, since you are using MIDI Yoke as your "MIDI In" to SONAR, and Jammer as your "MIDI Controller".)

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 17:31:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

Do you use this configuration?
    I cannot seem to make it work.
    Any input on the specific details on how to make this work would be helpful.

I want to use this on my laptop for song ideas while "on the road".

Although I could use them, I hate the sounds of GM. Cheesy.

Hi, bapu,

I, too, have tried using MIDI Yoke with Jammer without success. I tried and tried, but nothing worked. Then I started getting all sorts of crashes and instability, so I wound up uninstalling MIDI Yoke and forgetting about it.

If you do get an answer to this question, please be sure to post it as I'd love to know how to make it work, too.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 18:08:24 (permalink)
    Maybe use a the old Mini host and a VSTi GM set like SFZ+ or something else

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    bapu
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 18:19:48 (permalink)
    Did you turn Input Echo on in the MIDI track?

Yes, that was the very first thing I did.

losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 18:30:28 (permalink)
    Did you turn Input Echo on in the MIDI track?

Yes, that was the very first thing I did.

OK, good. Sticking with the simple path for now (if you like)... Did you inspect the MIDI stream coming back from MIDI Yoke, say, with MIDI OX, to make sure it's what you expect it to be?

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 21:22:19 (permalink)
    Are you using a GM synth like TTS-1?

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke _> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/08 22:42:12 (permalink)
    I do it all the time and its quite staright forward but I don't have access to my DAW. (Out for a rebuild at the moment so I can't give you a complete walk through. But It is easy and its do-able.

You need to select the MIDI Yoke as the MIDI out in JAMMER and MIDI YOKE as your MIDI in in SONAR.
    You need to setup a seperate MIDI track in SONAR for each instrument coming in from JAMMER. I create a template for 16 tracks each connected to a different MIDI in channel within SONAR. then I use a different softsynth for each depending on what I want to playback or setup something like TTS-1 with all 16 channels activated, each set to receive on its own channel.

Let me know how you go. Persevere as its well worth it.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    bapu
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/09 12:11:39 (permalink)
    Do I use the same MIDI Yoke Out Port for all instuments in Jammer?

Is there a limitation/problem on using soft-synths such as SD2, Studio Instruments, Dim Pro, Wusik and Jamstix?
    post edited by bapu - 2008/04/09 12:50:02
    SH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/09 12:48:18 (permalink)
    This is how I learned to use MIDI Yoke...with PS5.

http://p5.sonarama.com/p5/index.php/Arpeggiator_Signal_Flow

No idea if it will work with Jammer 6.

(Didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if this has been covered)
    bapu
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/09 12:57:28 (permalink)
    OK, I think I got it now.

In Jammer 6 I select "Out To MIDI Yoke 1" in Settings->MIDI Devices. I order that as the first MIDI Output Port.

I set all instruments in Jammer 6 Port to "1: Out to MIDI Yoke: 1".

In SONAR under Options->MIDI Devices I select "In From MIDI Yoke: 1".

Then in SONAR for the MIDI Tracks, the individual MIDI Ports are not set to "In From MIDI Yoke: 1", They are set as "All Inputs -> MIDI Ch. x" (where X is the Jammer 6 Channel for the Instruments). Then I create an Audio track where I put SD2 or Jamsticks in the FX bin and set the Output of the MIDI track to the FX of the Audio track.

Works like a champ.

The culprit seems to be that if I set a SONAR MIDI track to "In From MIDI Yoke: 1 -> MIDI Ch. x" things fail to work as expected.

SH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/09 13:02:49 (permalink)
    Remember your settings. I find that sometimes Sonar doesn't save the inputs/outputs
    bapu
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/09 13:28:43 (permalink)
    Works like a champ.

With TTS-1 and Jamstix (when set to GM mode).

Apparently SD2 and Studio Instruments are not GM compatible.

I suspect that only GM soft-synths will work?
    post edited by bapu - 2008/04/09 14:53:10
    mose
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/09 14:28:19 (permalink)
    Jammer can be used with non-GM synths, but then you have to give Jammer more information about what to send.

bapu
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/09 14:34:06 (permalink)
    Without sounding glib, do you know how to do that or are you just speaking in general terms?

I'm an old school hardware MIDI guy. Some of the approaches of this new software based stuff escapes me. I know it shouldn't but it does.

Any specific helpful hints?
    kellerpj
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/10 00:02:42 (permalink)
    I do this. The only difference is I use Maple Midi. (I used to use Midi Yoke a few years ago so I know that will work also.)

Here's how I have it configured.

SONAR 7 PE Configuration -

• I have a TTS-1 configured as a soft synth (with its output eventually making it to my soundcard).
    • I have 16 Midi Tracks.
    • Each Midi track is configured to use as input Maple Midi In: Port 1-Ch XX where XX is 1-16 and corresponds to the Track #. For example Sonar Track 1 uses as input Maple Midi In: Port 1-Ch 1 and Sonar Track 2 uses as input Maple Midi In: Port 1-Ch 2.
    • Each track is configured to use the TTS-1 as it's output port with the Channel number that corresponds to the Track #. For example, Sonar Track 1 uses as output Cakewalk-TTS-1-1 and is set to use Channel number 1 and Sonar Track 2 uses as output Cakewalk-TTS-1-1 and is set to use Channel number 2.
    • Bank and Patch are left to -none- on all the Sonar Midi tracks. (Bank select is automatically configured to Normal * when I choose the output Channel #.)
    • In the Sonar Audio Options, on the Advanced tab, make sure the "Share Drivers With Other Programs" is NOT checked.
    • Make sure Input Echo is On on all Sonar Midi Tracks.

Jammer 6 Pro Configuration -

• Under Settings/Midi Devices I have Roland Serial MIDI Input (to get MIDI input from my Alesis QS8) selected in the Input Ports list box.
    • Under Settings/Midi Device I have Maple Midi Out: Port 1 selected in the Output Ports list box.
    • Under Settings/Configure MIDI Devices I have 1:Maple Midi Out: Port 1 Ch. 1-9 and Ch. 11-16 assigned to General MIDI and 1:Maple Midi Out: Port 1 Ch. 10 assigned to General MIDI Drums
    • Under Settings/Configure Style Patches all Style patches except Standard Drum Kit and TR-808 Drum Kit are assigned to the "General MIDI" Device and the "1:Maple Midi Out: Port 1" Port with Channels 1-9 and 11-16 selected. The Standard Drum Kit and TR-808 Drum Kit are assigned to "General Midi Drums" and the "1:Maple Midi Out: Port 1" Port with Channels 10 selected. The rest of the settings in Settings/Configure Style Patches were the default values.

With this configuration, I can bring up Sonar (I have a template that's configured as above) and then bring up Jammer 6 Pro. Then I do whatever work I need to in Jammer 6 Pro. Jammer 6 sends all its MIDI output channels through Maple Midi Out Port 1 into Sonar which is using Maple Midi In Port 1 and assigning each channel to its own track. Since Bank and Patch Select MIDI is being sent by Jammer, it will automatically choose the correct patches in the TTS-1.

Incidently, I believe that you could use any Soft Synth in this configuration.

I hope this helps you out,
    Paul
    mose
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/10 20:52:54 (permalink)
    do you know how to do that or are you just speaking in general terms?

Sorry, I don't have any detailed steps to give you. It was one of those things I ran across while researching Jammer Pro before I bought it, and I don't remember where I read it. I scanned through the manual, but nothing popped out. I've been too busy to play around with Jammer Pro much. So, I couldn't even give you a helpful suggestion. All I recall is that if you use something that isn't a GM synth, you need to do extra configuration in Jammer Pro in order to tell it how and what to send to the synth to get the sounds you want. For example, there are some configuration items in Jammer to specify how to do patch and bank changes.

hwhitt
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/13 00:57:58 (permalink)
    I use this same setup too, and am also using Maple Midi. Paul is correct that you can use any soft synth. I use Dimension Pro and Session Drummer 2 instead of TTS-1.
    bapu
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/15 13:50:38 (permalink)
    Original Paul:

original hwhitt:

I use Dimension Pro

Whnever I use Dim Pro driven by Jammer 6, I cannot get any sounds to play. Dim Pro has a sound loaded. Dim Pro works in Cakewalk, just not driven by Cakewalk. Jamstix2, TTS-1 and SFX all work.

I do have "Sahre driver with other programs" un-checked.

I'm not sure exactly what I am doing wrong.
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Need help with Jammer 6 -> MIDI Yoke -> Sonar 7PE 2008/04/15 18:57:56 (permalink)

Original Paul:

original hwhitt:

I use Dimension Pro

Whnever I use Dim Pro driven by Jammer 6, I cannot get any sounds to play. Dim Pro has a sound loaded. Dim Pro works in Cakewalk, just not driven by Cakewalk. Jamstix2, TTS-1 and SFX all work.

I do have "Sahre driver with other programs" un-checked.

I'm not sure exactly what I am doing wrong.

Holy Moley! I'm more confused now than I was before about how to get MIDI Yoke to work. ;>) Seems awfully complex to me, especially since I'm in the middle of a big project at the moment and don't have the time to really explore the many ideas in this interesting thread. I will take the word of those that say the whole MIDI Yoke thing works and I'll delve into it more deeply when I have the time to devote to sussing it all out completely. I'll bookmark this thread so I can find it again at a later date. Lots of good info here. Thanks to all who have contributed to my limited knowledge on this subject.

Good luck, bapu, in solving your MIDI Yoke issues completely.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1