How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer?

Author
EGreenMusic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2009/10/13 01:11:53 (permalink)

How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer?

Hello all,

I am using an external sequencer (MV, MPC, etc) and I am using Sonar 8 as a sound module, using multiple VSTs.  I sequence all my tracks on the external hardware sequencer, and then I want to mix the song down (bounce the track) so I can mix the song down. 

When Sonar is the master sequencer, you can just "Bounce" the track to a wave; however, I am using an external sequencer, so all the MIDI information is on the hardware.  How can I bounce the track down for each VST in Sonar 8 without transfering the MIDI file on the external sequencer into Sonar?

Thanks!

28 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 01:19:03 (permalink)
    Why not record the external MIDI in Sonar then bounce it?

Best
    John
    EGreenMusic
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 01:26:51 (permalink)
    Because I am doing all my sequencing on the hardware, I am using a minimal setup and makes it much easier to control it that way, plus a few other reasons that would be too much to explain lol.

I know other producers use Sonar as a sound module (or Cubase, Pro Tools, etc) and sequence with hardware, then bounce the tracks in the DAW.  How would I do this in Sonar using an external sequencer?  I can't "arm" the audio track that is connected to the MIDI track that the VST is assigned to, otherwise I would imagine I could just do it that way.

Thanks
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 01:28:25 (permalink)
    This is something "live bounce" should take care of, but it only claims to record live audio. Worth trying once, though.

(Sonar 8 Ref. p.1028)
    Live input bounce
    When using the Bounce to Track(s) command to bounce audio in realtime,
    you can now choose to include any live audio input in the bounce.
    To allow live input during bounce
    1. On the Edit menu, click Bounce to Track(s) to open the Bounce to
    Track(s) dialog.
    2. Under Mix Enables, clear the Fast Bounce check box and select the
    Live Input check box.

EGreenMusic
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 01:35:33 (permalink)
    Thank you for the reply.  I tried this and the "Bounce to Track" option is grayed out.  I believe because the MIDI track is empty, because the MIDI information is on the hardware sequencer.  Any other options?
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 01:50:39 (permalink)
    This is not possible in SONAR. The only viable option is to patch an output back to an input, either analog or digital (if your audio interface's mixer supports this) and record the live output of the soft synth in real time to a new audio track.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    EGreenMusic
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 01:53:13 (permalink)
    I did try that, (I use an Edirol with that option) and it worked well.  I can just create a new audio track for each track I wanted to 'bounce.'  I was hoping that maybe there was another options that was easier but this isn't too bad =0)

Thanks again y'all take care.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 02:22:15 (permalink)
    The problem is that Sonar is a sequencer and is meant to act as one. You are using it, as you say, a sound module when fundamentally that is not what Sonar is. If you can drive the synths in Sonar with the external gear there is no reason you can not record the MIDI that is being sent to Sonar.  Once that is done you can freeze all the synths. This is the only good way to do this. Further, if it is working as you say then Sonar can record the MIDI without any problems.

Best
    John
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 02:23:28 (permalink)
    I tried something freaky and got a result. Perhaps you can make a procedure out of it.

I made a project with just one softsynth track pair. I entered one MIDI event on the midi track. As you predicted, this enabled "bounce to tracks" in the edit menu. I enabled the echo on the midi track. I selected "all" and then went through the bounce to track procedure, with the synth audio track as the source and a new track as the destination, and with fast bounce off, live bounce on, audible bounce on. The trick is to place an event far enough out on the timeline so that the bounce will spend enough (real) time to let you play the whole song from your external sequencer. While the bounce was running, I played notes on my controller. I could see meters running and hear the audio. When I canceled the bounce and elected to "save the audio", I saw the new track and an audio waveform appear and I could play back that track and it did indeed record the audio of what I played.

Bill B.

brundlefly
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 02:46:36 (permalink)
    I selected "all" and then went through the bounce to track procedure, with the synth audio track as the source and a new track as the destination, and with fast bounce off, live bounce on, audible bounce on.

I'll be danged. I almost gave this a try, but I didn't think it would let the Soft Synth host track generate new audio. I just tried it, and it worked for me as well. You've solved the real-time soft synth recording conundrum, my boy. Nice work. Better go holler this from the rooftops. There have been a lot of people out there asking about it.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 03:03:34 (permalink)
    FWIW, If you want a host better suited to being a virtual sound-module, checkout Cantible 2 Performer.
    In your scenario, I'd just print Sonar's output as audio.
    There are several way to accomplish this (depending on your setup).
    ie: If you have a RME or MOTU audio interface, you can use the onboard routing capabilities (as a virtual patch-bay) to record their output/s (without having to go thru extra D/A A/D stages or physically patching).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 04:33:29 (permalink)
    checkout Cantible 2 Performer
    Hey, Jim, I'd like rudely to hijack this thread for a second to ask you about Cantabile.  I'd noticed that you had name-checekd it a couple of times recently and so I downloaded the Lite version to evaluate it.  Unfortunately it crashes during its VST scan always on NI plugs, so I have not been able to evaluate it.  Have you had any similar experiences and is there a work-around? A quick RTFM scan hasn't given me any clues.  The NI plugs are pretty important to me, so I wouldn't want to disable them.

Sorry to OP for my butting in this way.
    EGreenMusic
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 09:21:25 (permalink)
    It worked!!!  It waited for my external Sequencer (since I have Sonar on MIDI sync) and as soon as I hit play on the hardware sequencer, it played back (with the sound playing funny).  But when it finished recording, the sound was perfectly bounced.  Thanks bvideo this is exactly what I was looking for!

bvideo

I tried something freaky and got a result. Perhaps you can make a procedure out of it.

I made a project with just one softsynth track pair. I entered one MIDI event on the midi track. As you predicted, this enabled "bounce to tracks" in the edit menu. I enabled the echo on the midi track. I selected "all" and then went through the bounce to track procedure, with the synth audio track as the source and a new track as the destination, and with fast bounce off, live bounce on, audible bounce on. The trick is to place an event far enough out on the timeline so that the bounce will spend enough (real) time to let you play the whole song from your external sequencer. While the bounce was running, I played notes on my controller. I could see meters running and hear the audio. When I canceled the bounce and elected to "save the audio", I saw the new track and an audio waveform appear and I could play back that track and it did indeed record the audio of what I played.

Bill B.

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 10:39:36 (permalink)
    EGreenMusic

Hello all,

I am using an external sequencer (MV, MPC, etc) and I am using Sonar 8 as a sound module, using multiple VSTs.  I sequence all my tracks on the external hardware sequencer, and then I want to mix the song down (bounce the track) so I can mix the song down. 

When Sonar is the master sequencer, you can just "Bounce" the track to a wave; however, I am using an external sequencer, so all the MIDI information is on the hardware.  How can I bounce the track down for each VST in Sonar 8 without transfering the MIDI file on the external sequencer into Sonar?

Thanks!

The only way is to record the external sequence to a track as audio. Then you can bounce or export. So "bounce" is the wrong word to use here, what you will be doing is "recording".   Sonar doesn't have the ability to record an input and mix it with a bounce or export even if you uncheck fast bounce.

Are you using MTC to make sure the external sequence is following the timeline ?
    cae48790
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 12:39:14 (permalink)
    EGreenMusic

Hello all,

Thanks!

did you try to save your project from your external sequencer as a midi file and open it to sonar?
    Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 12:54:34 (permalink)
    I agree with Frank. I just go ahead and record the audio from my external synth into SONAR. At one point I tried using External Insert and bounce, but it was really just an experiment and didn't save me any time, since I still had to turn off "fast bounce" anyway. It takes as long as a real-time recording.

What's nice about having an interface with multiple in/outs (MOTU Ultralite) is that I can record all of my Motif parts in one swell foop, so that does save multiple passes and consequently time.

P.S. @Frank: I noticed in another thread you mentioned using the SPDIF clock if you're using a SPDIF connection. I hadn't thought about that before, but I use both SPDIF and analog connections when I'm recording into SONAR, and I haven't noticed any timing problems. I can try switching to the SPDIF clock next chance, but I haven't had any problems so far. Does it just fall back to the lowest common denominator, if you know, or should I do some "serious testing"?

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 12:57:54 (permalink)
    So how do you do this with hardware that has no audio MPCs for example? What I mean its the MIDI that is triggering softsynths in Sonar not audio on the hardware.
    post edited by John - 2009/10/13 13:00:00

Best
    John
    ohhey
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 13:02:58 (permalink)
    John

So how do you do this with hardware that has no audio MPCs for example? What I mean its the MIDI that is triggering softsynths in Sonar not audio on the hardware.

The best way would be to export and import the midi file.  Other then that you would have to route the software synth to an output pair on the sound card and then record that back into the inputs. If there are other tracks in the sequence you would need a sound card with more the one set of outputs.
    Susan G
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 13:09:25 (permalink)
    Hi John-

I don't know what you're asking, or to whom you're replying (thanks to the new forum software!).

In my case, what I do is just play back the song and record the input from my synth instead of just monitoring it. I end up with audio tracks printed from my hardware synth, and I can then apply FX or not.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question.

-Susan

brundlefly
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 13:13:32 (permalink)
    The best way would be to export and import the midi file.  Other then that you would have to route the software synth to an output pair on the sound card and then record that back into the inputs. If there are other tracks in the sequence you would need a sound card with more the one set of outputs.

No offense intended, but you and maybe some other posters really need to go back and read the whole thread in detail. The OP already said he has his reasons for keeping the MIDI in the hardware, and bvideo came up with a way to bounce soft synths with external MIDI input in real time using the Live Input feature of 8.x that the OP used successfully to achieve his goal.

Case closed.

John
    Forum Host
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 13:14:05 (permalink)
    Yes Susan but think of it this way Sonar is not the sequencer here. It is the sound module. The MPC is driving  Sonar's softsynths not the other way around.

BTW I use hardware synths too. This situation is totally different.

Best
    John
    Susan G
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 13:15:02 (permalink)
    I clearly misunderstood John's question, then.
    The best way would be to export and import the midi file.

The MIDI data is already in SONAR when I record the Motif's output. I'm just playing it back and/or recording it into SONAR.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

-Susan

Susan G
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 13:21:49 (permalink)
    Yes Susan but think of it this way Sonar is not the sequencer here.

Oh, okay, I see. Sorry I misread the OP!

In the past, I've usually taken the easy way out that the Motif provides and just saved the MIDI sequence to a memory card and imported that into SONAR.

However, I've also done it the hard way, and synced SONAR and the Motif and recorded it that way. It's not pretty, but it definitely can be done, depending on the sync options available.

-Susan

John
    Forum Host
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 13:23:22 (permalink)
    Same here Susan that is what I was trying to get the OP to understand. The MIDI data that is driving the softsynths can be recorded in Sonar and then use to bounce or freeze the synths to audio. It is really a simple process. Plus it gives the OP the option of being able to edit it at will, the MIDI data that is.

Best
    John
    EGreenMusic
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 19:28:40 (permalink)
    I think everyone is doing something some-what similar but bvideo and brundlefly got what I was trying to do. 

I think the idea of transferring files, and such is cumbersome and old school.  The way bvideo described worked exactly how I would expect.  It is like running an MPC 2000 as a sequencer and a Yamaha Motif as the sound module and then recording the tracks into Sonar, except instead of using a Motif as a sound module, you use Sonar VSTs.  A very simple process, thanks again.

ohhey
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/13 19:42:38 (permalink)
    EGreenMusic

I think everyone is doing something some-what similar but bvideo and brundlefly got what I was trying to do. 

I think the idea of transferring files, and such is cumbersome and old school.  The way bvideo described worked exactly how I would expect.  It is like running an MPC 2000 as a sequencer and a Yamaha Motif as the sound module and then recording the tracks into Sonar, except instead of using a Motif as a sound module, you use Sonar VSTs.  A very simple process, thanks again.

I'm thinking using a hardware sequencer is the old part of this, transfering files to a computer is how you get out of old school.
    EGreenMusic
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2009/10/14 00:51:18 (permalink)
    I felt that way too, and then I started to really explore how I want my music to 'sound' (the very very fine details) and I ended up going back to a sequencer sampler because some things software just cannot do, at least not as fast.  And when i first used a hardware sequencer a few years back I did not know what I wanted to accomplish.  But I am also very much sample-based as a producer.  Sonar imo is the best sequencer I've used for MIDI (vs. MPC's, Cubase/Nuendo, Korg, etc) but everything has limitations.  Hardware has many limitations, but for what I want to do it does not limit me.  But I still use Sonar for tracking and mixing before I send for mastering.  I love Sonar!
    Thedoccal
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 290
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2014/10/13 19:24:06 (permalink)
    bvideo

Bill B.

Unbelievable.  Is this still the way to record live soft synths using lets say the UA1G, which has one stereo in and out?
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:How to bounce MIDI tracks when using external sequencer? 2014/10/14 04:35:28 (permalink)
    You realise this thread is 5 years old of course...

No,  it's not the way to record live soft synths, it's a workaround to force Sonar into doing something it's not intended to do.  You're expected to record the midi stream not the audio.  Once you have the midi stream you can edit it, bounce it, whatever.  But you're not expected to record the live audio directly.  It's not what Sonar is intended for.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1