M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface?

Author
southpaw3473
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 782
2010/06/04 10:25:14 (permalink)

M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface?

Howdy all, I have finally decided to give up on my MOTU Ultaralite mkIII.  I have had it for a year and a half and have reached the tolorance threshold-lousy win7x64 drivers, uncooperative tech support (non-existent really), yada yada yada. 

I am thinking about the M Audio ProFire 2626 even though I really don't want to give Digi, uh AVID my dough-giant corporation that they are.  Does anyone have experience with that unit and how are the drivers? My biggest problem with the MOTU has always been their win drivers.  If there are suggestions for other interfaces around $600-$700 I would appreciate that as well.  I find I spend more time dealing with non-music issues in my studio and less time actually making music.  Thanks in advance for the advice.

Tommy

We'll not risk another frontal assault-that rabbit's dynamite!!!

Tommy Byrnes
Sonar Platinum
Win 10 Pro x64 AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core 4.00GHz/ ASRock 970 Extreme4/ 16 gigs RAM
UA Apollo Firewire/UA 2 Quad Satellite/ Focusrite OctoPre/Makie Onyx1220i Mixer  
THANK YOU!!!

9 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface? 2010/06/04 10:56:22 (permalink)
    To a lefty form another lefty, did make sure to enable the left handed toggle switch on the Motu?? It makes all the world of difference..
    The M-audio2626 has some good review. For a few bucks more you could get an RME 400 or the new RME USB interface. You can never go wrong with an RME. Maybe you could find one on ebay for $700.

Take a look at the Echo cards also, as they are known to have kick butt drivers, just as RME has.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    southpaw3473
    Re:M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface? 2010/06/04 11:16:12 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

To a lefty form another lefty, did make sure to enable the left handed toggle switch on the Motu?? It makes all the world of difference..
    The M-audio2626 has some good review. For a few bucks more you could get an RME 400 or the new RME USB interface. You can never go wrong with an RME. Maybe you could find one on ebay for $700.

Take a look at the Echo cards also, as they are known to have kick butt drivers, just as RME has.
    Cj

Crap, mine came with the ambidextrous toggle-every time in engage it I just start flopping around the studio to the left and the right.  Thanks as always for the advice.  I've checked out the Echo line but their firewire and usb units don't have a spdif i/o which is something I need.

Tommy Byrnes
    Sonar Platinum
    THANK YOU!!!
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface? 2010/06/04 11:23:26 (permalink)
    Howdy all, I have finally decided to give up on my MOTU Ultaralite mkIII. I have had it for a year and a half and have reached the tolorance threshold-lousy win7x64 drivers, uncooperative tech support (non-existent really), yada yada yada. I am thinking about the M Audio ProFire 2626 even though I really don't want to give Digi, uh AVID my dough-giant corporation that they are. Does anyone have experience with that unit and how are the drivers? My biggest problem with the MOTU has always been their win drivers. If there are suggestions for other interfaces around $600-$700 I would appreciate that as well. I find I spend more time dealing with non-music issues in my studio and less time actually making music. Thanks in advance for the advice. Tommy

At the risk of asking the obvious...  
    What are you using for a Firewire controller?
    Have you switched the Firewire controller's driver to Legacy mode?

I'm running an 896HD here with zero problems...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    southpaw3473
    Re:M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface? 2010/06/04 11:32:31 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Howdy all, I have finally decided to give up on my MOTU Ultaralite mkIII. I have had it for a year and a half and have reached the tolorance threshold-lousy win7x64 drivers, uncooperative tech support (non-existent really), yada yada yada. I am thinking about the M Audio ProFire 2626 even though I really don't want to give Digi, uh AVID my dough-giant corporation that they are. Does anyone have experience with that unit and how are the drivers? My biggest problem with the MOTU has always been their win drivers. If there are suggestions for other interfaces around $600-$700 I would appreciate that as well. I find I spend more time dealing with non-music issues in my studio and less time actually making music. Thanks in advance for the advice. Tommy

At the risk of asking the obvious...  
    What are you using for a Firewire controller?
    Have you switched the Firewire controller's driver to Legacy mode?

I'm running an 896HD here with zero problems...

OK, this is a really dumb question but what do you mean by firewire controller? I'm not sure how to switch to legacy mode either.  Jeez, I have so much to learn.  Thanks Jim

Tommy Byrnes
    Sonar Platinum
    THANK YOU!!!
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface? 2010/06/04 11:40:02 (permalink)
    The Profire is fine. As long as you have FireWire 400 (IEEE 1394a) port, which you probably will.

Don't give up on the Motu yet because a few here know about them.
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface? 2010/06/04 11:56:31 (permalink)

OK, this is a really dumb question but what do you mean by firewire controller? I'm not sure how to switch to legacy mode either. Jeez, I have so much to learn. Thanks Jim

Your Ultralite mkIII is a Firewire audio interface.
    It has to connect to a Firewire port on the PC.
    This port is on the Firewire controller.

Go into Device Manger and look under 1394 Bus Host Controllers.
    If the entry there specifically mentioned Texas Instruments, you're good-to-go.
    If not, then the first thing you want to do is get/install a good TI chipset FW controller.
    A crap Firewire controller can cause all kinds of problems (anything from dropouts all the way to complete instability).

If you have one of the new "Hybrid" Ultralite units (can connect via USB or Firewire), I'd try connecting it via Firewire before making any rash moves. 

To switch to Legacy Mode, you update the driver for the entry under 1394 Bus Host controllers.
    Make sure to browse the computer for existing drivers.  "Legacy" will be the 2nd of three presented options.
    post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2010/06/04 11:59:58

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    southpaw3473
    Re:M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface? 2010/06/04 12:02:09 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

OK, this is a really dumb question but what do you mean by firewire controller? I'm not sure how to switch to legacy mode either. Jeez, I have so much to learn. Thanks Jim

Your Ultralite mkIII is a Firewire audio interface.
    It has to connect to a Firewire port on the PC.
    This port is on the Firewire controller.

Go into Device Manger and look under 1394 Bus Host Controllers.
    If the entry there specifically mentioned Texas Instruments, you're good-to-go.
    If not, then the first thing you want to do is get/install a good TI chipset FW controller.
    A crap Firewire controller can cause all kinds of problems (anything from dropouts all the way to complete instability).

If you have one of the new "Hybrid" Ultralite units (can connect via USB or Firewire), I'd try connecting it via Firewire before making any rash moves. 

To switch to Legacy Mode, you update the driver for the entry under 1394 Bus Host controllers.
    Make sure to browse the computer for existing drivers.  "Legacy" will be the 2nd of three presented options.

Thanks Jim.  I made sure my firewire card had a TI chipset when I bought it.  Should I still set to lecacy?

Tommy Byrnes
    Sonar Platinum
    THANK YOU!!!
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface? 2010/06/04 12:05:48 (permalink)

Should I still set to lecacy?

Yes... with the MOTU stuff.
    With some audio interfaces, switching to Legacy mode is not longer necessary (ie: RME and Steinberg).
    I assume you're using a PCI or PCIe TI chipset Firewire controller???
    (Asus motherboards use VIA chipset Firewire controllers)

post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2010/06/04 12:09:09

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    southpaw3473
    Re:M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire-decent interface? 2010/06/04 12:11:46 (permalink)
    I will switch to lecacy drivers and see what happens.  Thanks again for all the help.  I would love to get the motu to work-good sound, small footprint, versatile, etc.

Tommy Byrnes
    Sonar Platinum
    THANK YOU!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1