Question - Recording with SI instruments

Author
juji23
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/06/30 11:19:56 (permalink)

Question - Recording with SI instruments

Hi, I'm working on setting up Guitar Tracks Pro 4 USB for my daughter. 

So I've got the SI instruments playing (restart).  I can drag a drum sample into a track. But for some reasons when I record and manually play something - it doesn't record.  I'm sure I'm missing something - any help?
post edited by juji23 - 2010/06/30 13:33:58

4 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Question - Recording with SI instruments 2010/06/30 16:09:13 (permalink)

Hi there Jim, welcome to the forum

What are you trying to record - audio (e.g a guitar) or MIDI (with a keyboard controller)?

In either case, and assuming your signal path is correct, the first thing that springs to mind is have you armed the track for recording - it's the circular button I've shown here in the Track View

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

juji23
    Re:Question - Recording with SI instruments 2010/06/30 16:37:39 (permalink)
    I was just following a tutorial.  Was trying to record drums manually.  I did arm the track and also hit record.  The metronome starts, I hit some drums with my mouse.  Press stop.  Nothing upon playback.  Doesn't show anything recorded.

I was using the soft synths - opened up Studio Instruments and drum kit. 

I'm using the UA-1G.  I don't have any other device. 

I can drag and drop in any of the samples that are in the drum kit.  They show up in the track.  I haven't figured out how to modify any of them yet (tried splitting one) but I may be ahead of myself on this part.  Not sure what I should look for regarding Signal Path, although it seems like if I can hear the drums and utilize the samples, I should be okay to record my own?

So far I have very easily recorded guitar and voice - so as a song writing tool this is good.  But if there was a way to utilize all the other onboard instruments, i.e. record my own simple drum track, add a bit of keyboard, well that would be amazing.

Thanks for any assistance.  Going to continue playing around and see what happens.

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Question - Recording with SI instruments 2010/06/30 20:02:20 (permalink)

Jim, using the mouse to trigger the drums is just an audition feature - the audio is sent direct to your soundcard and bypasses the inputs of GT4 completely.

To check out the various ways of recording and inputting MIDI data into a track in GT4, check out this tutorial I put together in another thread:

The easy answer is no, you don't need a MIDI interface to hear sound from Studio Instruments, neither do you need a MIDI interface or a hardware MIDI controller to input the data required to play them.

However, if you do at some stage wish to record MIDI information into your project 'live', you will need both a controller and an interface, although most controllers can connect to your PC and be routed into Guitar Tracks Pro4 with an appropriate USB lead.

The important thing for starters is to learn a little about what MIDI is, and more importantly, what it isn't.

MIDI data contains no audio, but it does contain the information to 'instruct' a software synthesiser (often shortened to softsynth) what to play - for example which notes should be played in a piano softsynth, when they are played, the force with which they are played (velocity) and their duration; similar information could be used to play other instruments.

Furthermore, MIDI data can be used to trigger the different parts of the kit in a drum softsynth.

Other than using an outboard controller, there are a few ways of getting the MIDI information into your project.  The data can be entered using your mouse either in GT4's Piano Roll View (PRV) or using the Staff View, using musical notation. 

The PRV opens in a window that contains the 'grid' into which the data can be entered and edited, as well as a keyboard which allows you to audition the sound each key is associated with - for example, if you're using a piano softsynth, using your mouse to press the middle C key in the PRV should play middle C in the softsynth.

Incidentally, some softsynths (such as Studio Instruments Electric Piano and String Section) have their own keyboards which make it easier to audition the program and settings you want to use.

Others, such as SI Drums and SI Bass Guitar have graphical interfaces that let you audition the sounds - left click on a drum and you'll hear it play for example.

For softsynths that don't have such a keyboard or interface, you'll need to use the PRV.

Another way is to import MIDI data into your project - the most popular application for this is probably in drum softsynth programs, where pre-recorded drum samples are dragged directly into a project to form the basis of a drum track.

The beauty of all these methods (including recording live with a controller) is that the MIDI information is completely editable at any stage - 'notes' can be individually altered for pitch/duration etc or deleted, or more notes can be added.

When you insert one of the Studio Instruments into a blank project, GT4 should 'wire it up' so the output audio from the softsynth goes to your soundcard, so you should be able to hear it when you trigger a sound.

Here's a couple of quick examples to get you going, open GT4 and select 'blank' for the project type.

SI Strings using the Piano Roll View

From the menu bar, select Insert > Soft Synths > Studio Instruments > SI String Section

This screen will open, check the same boxes as shown:

The SI Strings GUI should now be open - left click on the keyboard at the bottom and you should hear some sound.  Left click in the Load Program field to audition other settings.

To input MIDI information in the PRV, first minimise or close the Synth Rack and the SI Strings interfaces (you can re-open a softsynth GUI anytime from View > Synth Rack and clicking on the icon to the left of the synth's name). Now click on the PRV button:

Just to make certain everything's working OK Mitch, click on the PRV Draw Tool and then use the left mouse button to click in the grid in a few places - you should hear the sound as the data is entered:

Finally, return to the Track View - you should see the MIDI information you just entered; press the Play button and the music you just made should play back!  Importantly, as MIDI is just data and the sound is coming from the SI Strings softsynth, try changing the project tempo around a bit - the notes will play faster or slower but they will still play at the correct pitch, i.e the pitch you entered in the PRV.

SI Drums using pre-recorded samples

From the menu bar, select Insert > Soft Synths > Studio Instruments > SI Drum Kit, check the same options as above and the Drum GUI will open.

You should be able to hear the drums by left clicking on them.

To audition SI Drum's different kits, click in the PRG field and select from the drop-down list.

To audition the 'loops' and sequences first expand one of the five genres and then double-click (or press Play on the transport) on one of the patterns; it should play - to hear it over and over press the Loop On button on the transport.

For example, choose the Full Throttle kit and then expand the Rock genre and select BEAT THIS

Now for the tricky bit!  To transfer this pattern into your project, hold down the left mouse button over the BEAT THIS name and drag to the left edge of the MIDI track (the bottom one of the three) of the SI Drum Kit track:

It should now play back the same as in the Strings example above.

To start putting together a drum track, you can use different sequences and patterns and drag them to wherever you want in the project Mitch - plus all this information is still completely editable in the PRV.

To quickly copy inserted patterns across your project (say you have a pattern you want to play through a whole verse) right click in the clip and select Groove Clip Looping.  Hover the mouse pointer over the right edge of the pattern clip until the pointer changes to an arrow icon; now hold down the left mouse button and drag the clip across your project - the pattern will be repeatedly copied until you stop.

Finally, you'll want to be able to treat your MIDI tracks with VST effects and processors in the same way you do with audio recordings, as well as being able to route the output through any busses and sends.

To do this, you can Freeze the synth, this bounces the synth's output to audio which can be processed in exactly the same way as any other audio.  The big benefit here, as opposed to recorded audio, is that you Unfreeze/Thaw the synth at any time and go back and edit the MIDI data again, as the freeze process doesn't delete the MIDI information!

To freeze and unfreeze a softsynth, either click on the snowflake icon on the synth in the Track View or on the Synth Rack, or select the track and select Track > Freeze:

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

juji23
    Re:Question - Recording with SI instruments 2010/06/30 21:10:17 (permalink)
    Very helpful - I've bookmarked this.

So, in order to enter synth sounds live - a USB interface is required - any suggestions on a budget?

In the meantime, using the piano roll, will work to add things for now (just added a cymbal crash to end my tune :)

Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1