Really cool new feature in SONAR X1!

Author
e.Blue
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 693
2010/12/09 12:20:09 (permalink)

Really cool new feature in SONAR X1!

Last night I discovered an unannounced new feature in SONAR X1 that I have been wanting added for as long as I can remember! 

It's the ability to automatically sync non-acidized wave loops to the current project tempo in the Media browser!

In the past, it was VERY annoying that I had to audition and separate my loops based on whether they were acidized, non-acidized or rex. It's also a feature that's been available in programs like Sony Acid and Ableton Live for years. 

Now if they could just give me back the ability to Ctrl-UNclick sounds to stop auditioning them in the browser, I promise that I will never look at another DAW...ever...

Great work Cakewalk!

-e.B

downSouthsidemusic - recording / mixing / mastering / production / custom sounds & loops
Everett 'e.Blue' Garnett - Owner/Operator
Full gear listing available here: Hardware / Software / See us on 

9 Replies Related Threads

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Really cool new feature in SONAR X1! 2010/12/09 16:52:29 (permalink)
    e.B,

Indeed that is a great feature, and to stop auditioning the sound just click in an empty space in the Browser.
    cyberzip
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 613
    Re:Really cool new feature in SONAR X1! 2010/12/09 17:14:08 (permalink)
    eBlue
    It's the ability to automatically sync non-acidized wave loops to the current project tempo in the Media browser!
    Woho, I don't want much, but that I do want! :D

Can you disable looping as well (essential for auditioning short one-shot samples)? That would be icing on the cake... walk. :)
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Really cool new feature in SONAR X1! 2010/12/09 17:22:42 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

e.B,

Indeed that is a great feature, and to stop auditioning the sound just click in an empty space in the Browser.

Seth,
    Wasn't that the "Alt click" in 8.x to audition non-acidized files?  Is it now unnecessary to hold ALT?

And, previously if you ctrl -clicked 2 or more files, you couldn't ctrl -click one to get that one to stop.
    Only clicking in blank space worked.  I guess that's still the case?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    SonicDimension
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Really cool new feature in SONAR X1! 2010/12/09 17:34:35 (permalink)
    cyberzip
    Can you disable looping as well (essential for auditioning short one-shot samples)? That would be icing on the cake... walk. :)

I just started a new thread about this topic :  http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2152580
    I think this is kind of an important feature for any media browser.  Actually, having the preview play the sample as a one-shot seems to be the more universal way to do it, and would probably be more useful as a default behavior.  People who want to audition loops at tempo in combination with the rest of their track and so forth can just use the matrix.
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Really cool new feature in SONAR X1! 2010/12/09 17:37:31 (permalink)
    SonicDimension

cyberzip

I just started a new thread about this topic :  http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2152580
    I think this is kind of an important feature for any media browser.  Actually, having the preview play the sample as a one-shot seems to be the more universal way to do it, and would probably be more useful as a default behavior.  People who want to audition loops at tempo in combination with the rest of their track and so forth can just use the matrix.

I haven't read your other thread, but I must respectfully disagree.  BOTH one-shot audition AND loops are equally important to me.

And I don't want to be forced to using the Matrix just to audition something.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Really cool new feature in SONAR X1! 2010/12/09 17:46:24 (permalink)
    ba_midi

SonicDimension

cyberzip

I haven't read your other thread, but I must respectfully disagree.  BOTH one-shot audition AND loops are equally important to me.

And I don't want to be forced to using the Matrix just to audition something.

Agreed, and this will be addressed.
    e.Blue
    Re:Really cool new feature in SONAR X1! 2010/12/09 18:26:19 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

e.B,

Seth, thanks for the reply. I know how to stop the sound completely by clicking the empty space. What I would like to be able to do is stop a single loop from auditioning when multiple loops are selected. With older versions of SONAR you could just UN-select the playing file and it would stop and the other selected files would continue playing. 

I believe that with ver 8 or 8.5 (whenever the Loop Explorer was changed to Media Browser) the behavior was changed so that once any loop was selected it continued playing until you stopped the Media Browser. So basically you can no longer 'subtract' a loop from playing in the Media Browser. This was actually one of my favorite features of the old Loop Explorer and it was also a unique feature to SONAR from what I have seen in the DAW industry. In fact, if you had enough loops in a single folder you could create an impromptu DJ mix just using the Loop Explorer.  

-e.B

downSouthsidemusic - recording / mixing / mastering / production / custom sounds & loops
    e.Blue
    Re:Really cool new feature in SONAR X1! 2010/12/09 18:34:58 (permalink)
    SonicDimension

cyberzip

...and people that want to audition one-shots can just use Windows Media Player. 

j/k...I can see the feature's usefulness, but it shouldn't be made the default, unless it's also configurable. In case you don't remember, it was called the Loop Explorer before it was Media Browser.

-e.B

SonicDimension
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Really cool new feature in SONAR X1! 2010/12/09 19:29:48 (permalink)
    eBlue

SonicDimension

cyberzip

...and people that want to audition one-shots can just use Windows Media Player. 

j/k...I can see the feature's usefulness, but it shouldn't be made the default, unless it's also configurable. In case you don't remember, it was called the Loop Explorer before it was Media Browser.

Well, all of the other programs I have used (Ableton Live, FL Studio, Reason/Record) have media browsers that preview content as one-shots by default.  And in case you don't remember, Sonar's browser is only now approaching the level of usefulness that those other hosts' browsers have.  Now they just need to get the preview function up to speed. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1