Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, BUG?

Author
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
2010/12/09 17:31:03 (permalink)

Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, BUG?

Every project (pre-X1) I open seems to have this problem:

I have 2 Control Surfaces using the WAI (Where Am I); one is ACT based and the other is a generic surface.

X1 skips tracks with both of these -- meaning, if I have 10 tracks but 2 are in a track folder, I only see 'some' of the tracks as being capable of control by the surfaces.  I should say the control surfaces only see some.

Expanding the Folder does not change this.  IOW I do not get all tracks available to the control surface.  It's totally reproducible here.

And, Track Folders are acting strange too.  If I start a "blank.cwt" and add a few audio tracks, then move some into a new Track Folder, the folder comes up with the proper "default height" I previously setup.  HOWEVER, hitting "F" to fit all tracks does NOT reduce its height as it does other tracks.

So if anyone can confirm these two bugs (they seem like bugs to me), I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/12/10 03:08:23

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)

17 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? 2010/12/09 17:33:36 (permalink)
    Here's a picture to show what is happening.

If you can see it, notice that the WAI on the left side of the track numbers is not showing all 8 of the actual fader controls for the surfaces.

http://www.ba-midi.com/stuff/CS_Issue.png

It's as if X1 is treating track folders as tracks but not giving them control either.

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/12/09 17:34:46

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? 2010/12/09 17:53:25 (permalink)
    Btw, once you do get it right, and then maximize the folder for whatever reason, it still won't react to the "F"it command.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? 2010/12/09 18:16:26 (permalink)
    BUMP :)

Sorry - but messages/postings are flying off here, so I'd really like to know if anyone else is seeing these issues, please?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

sdpate67
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 344
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? 2010/12/09 21:15:40 (permalink)

I'm just having flaky issues keeping MCU Pro CS4 and Faderport working

Asus i7-760 Win 8.1/ Sonar Platinum / Lynx Aurora 16 AES16 / Mackie MCU Pro XT C4 / Millennia Media STT1 x 2 TD-1/ UAD-2 Quad x 2 / Neumann O-300 O-810 U87 KM184 x 2 / Shure 57/58
    Reverbnation

NJN Network
    ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? 2010/12/09 23:32:13 (permalink)
    sdpate

I'm just having flaky issues keeping MCU Pro CS4 and Faderport working

Well no one else seems to be responding yet.  Ugh.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? 2010/12/10 01:18:25 (permalink)
    I've only had a very brief play so far but haven't noticed any negative issues with my MCU but..... I nearly always had some sort of problem with mackie mode and folders anyway to the point where I stopped using folders.

One thing I have noticed in X1 that I like is that the active control in the console and track view are now in unison when using the Mackie buttons to navigate.
    ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? 2010/12/10 01:20:50 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

I've only had a very brief play so far but haven't noticed any negative issues with my MCU but..... I nearly always had some sort of problem with mackie mode and folders anyway to the point where I stopped using folders.

One thing I have noticed in X1 that I like is that the active control in the console and track view are now in unison when using the Mackie buttons to navigate.

I wish I was being so lucky to not have problems but ...

Now, to make matters worse, when I open the old project in 8.5.3 (using the version it was saved in) IT TOO has this "new" problem.

So obviously X1 does put some new things in as DLLs or other 'shared' resources that can - and do - affect 8.5.3.

Sigh.  I'm restoring backups now.   I think in the future I won't be such an early adopter ;(

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? 2010/12/10 01:21:41 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

BTW, I never had trouble with ACT or CS's with Folders before.

Did you take a look at the screen shot I put up?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, B 2010/12/10 03:11:07 (permalink)
    I see what's going on... and I think it's a bug.

IF there are any "hidden" tracks (in this case MIDI tracks for sure) within a track folder, those tracks are being seen by X1 as still visible to the control surfaces but because they are hidden, we don't see them available.

IOW, if you have 8 tracks visible, all 8 with show the WAI to the left of the track headers as normal.

If you hide the 2nd 2 tracks then the CS still uses it but you can't see it, so it looks like the CS is malfunctioning.

I don't know if I'm explaining it clearly - but that's definitely what's happening.

Seems like a bug to me.   And I hope this is addressed as losing control of "visible" tracks isn't good.

This is easily reproducible btw.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, B 2010/12/10 03:37:00 (permalink)
    Ugh, it turns out it happens in 8.5.3 as well.

Oh well.  I bet this is one bug that will live on forever lol

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, B 2010/12/10 03:50:52 (permalink)
    Started happening to me in 8.3........... As I said earlier I gave up on folders. :-(
    sdpate67
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, B 2010/12/10 06:03:47 (permalink)
    This am is decision point - stop lusting after the pretty sister of my favourite gal and go back on my restore knees.

It's silly to keep working when 8.5.3 worked. I don't need Faderport to survive but I sure as #*** don't want to lose my control pro. Cheers.

Asus i7-760 Win 8.1/ Sonar Platinum / Lynx Aurora 16 AES16 / Mackie MCU Pro XT C4 / Millennia Media STT1 x 2 TD-1/ UAD-2 Quad x 2 / Neumann O-300 O-810 U87 KM184 x 2 / Shure 57/58
    Reverbnation

NJN Network
    sdpate67
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, B 2010/12/10 06:40:10 (permalink)
    Did the old trick - reverted project to start of yesterday, deleted control surfaces, deleted ini files for X1, restarted X1, installed midi ports, control surfaces (without faderport) and everything seems to be working again.

Something new  - orange bar at bottom of Console view and left side of Track tells me what bank the MCU Pro is controlling. Shift banks and the dark orange follows you. A lighter orange remains (to show where you've been?)

Everything seems to work in faders, arming, mute, change from tracks, to busses to mains

Not working - the screen labels on Mackie remain where it starts - shifting to the 2nd bank of tracks leaves labels for tracks 1-8 on the screen.

Anyone know the fix for that?

I have to record a vocal this am so we'll see how it works in production.

Cheers. sp

Reverbnation

NJN Network
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, B 2010/12/10 08:26:33 (permalink)
    Billy

Try having a fiddle with the "Controller in view" settings. That does settle it down a bit for me. I'm not at my DAW and unlikeliest to be there for several days so I'm working from memory.

IIRC they are in the control surface set-up dialogue (where you add and remove surfaces) There's options to follow console view, track view or both. I find the settings there make a difference.

Again working form memory I think follow both clears up a few of the troubles I get. Not perfectly but it does make it better.
    sdpate67
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, B 2010/12/10 09:29:42 (permalink)
    You're right on "There's options to follow console view, track view or both. I find the settings there make a difference"

The last time through I clicked both and voila both worked. I like the easy way it controls the bus and masters.

It will expand tracks that are Mute (when M tracks are hidden) but doesn't hide them again when M is selected.

Especially like the orange color mapping MCU to screen.

Reverbnation

NJN Network
    ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, B 2010/12/10 12:33:21 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

Billy

Try having a fiddle with the "Controller in view" settings. That does settle it down a bit for me. I'm not at my DAW and unlikeliest to be there for several days so I'm working from memory.

IIRC they are in the control surface set-up dialogue (where you add and remove surfaces) There's options to follow console view, track view or both. I find the settings there make a difference.

Again working form memory I think follow both clears up a few of the troubles I get. Not perfectly but it does make it better.

Thanks FBB...  but it's a bug in my opinion.  It's just not a new bug.  Hidden tracks are still visible to the control surface which explains why they seem missing on the track view.

I probably should try archiving those tracks but still, it'd be nice if there were an option to "ignore" hidden tracks (as if they were archived or simply not there) for control surfaces using "WAI."

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Control Surface and Track Folder issues - can anyone confirm this pls? - FIGURED OUT, B 2010/12/10 12:34:11 (permalink)
    sdpate

You're right on "There's options to follow console view, track view or both. I find the settings there make a difference"

The last time through I clicked both and voila both worked. I like the easy way it controls the bus and masters.

It will expand tracks that are Mute (when M tracks are hidden) but doesn't hide them again when M is selected.

Especially like the orange color mapping MCU to screen.

I always use "Both" as my setting.  That's not the issue, however.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1