Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Dyonight
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 529
2011/10/24 12:04:10 (permalink)

Plugin + Fantom integration with X1

Hi!
I started my list on what seem to be missing the VS700 system.

I figured a new approach concerning the plugin insertion, Fantom control and bus/tracks control.

Nothing complicated, made in a "Roland manual" way.

Tell me what you think. Samara on a previous post concerning X1 integration, was asking which feature we would like to see added, so here is what I found so far.

Anyway, please have a look and see if it's worth asking Cakewalk to implement those features. 

Those who will see this thread and agree please post something to know if it is something useful for you or if you don't mind at all.

The more posts here the more weight it will have and chances to be taken seriously...

Thanks!

*See two posts below for the list
post edited by Dyonight - 2011/10/24 15:08:55

Attached Image(s)

33 Replies Related Threads

Dyonight
    Re:Plugin + Fantom integration with X1 2011/10/24 12:06:12 (permalink)
    Here are the other files. Hard to send everything at once.

Attached Image(s)

Dyonight
    X1 integration list 2011/10/24 14:52:18 (permalink)
    Here I have my list of features and correction that would make MY life a lot easier. 

Please feel free to add what you think is missing. I think everything is doable...

General integration
    1- Support for Pro Tools HUI protocol

X1 integration
    1- Prochannel UI update when selecting a buss on the console
    2- Show VU meters of instrument track on the console

Direct mixer
    1- Allow banking to control all track in the mixer (preamps + digital + DI + Fantom + ARX)
    2- Ability to renames channels
    3- Ability to change channels order

Step sequencer
    When the step sequencer is in focus, gives the ability to edit the steps with the console (move farward, backward, down, up, select, copy) with the arrows of the jog wheel and ADD or REMOVE notes with OK and CANCEL buttons 

General console functions
    1- Multiple track selection/spread selection using the channel select in edit mode
    2- Buss arm: arm all tracks routed to this bus
    3- Ability to assign modifier buttons
    4- When channel strip encoder are assigned to "input" selection, pushing the encoder select "NONE"
    5- Pressing "Command+Assign" recall a pop-up window for global VU meter display settings
    6- Pressing "Command + Track" insert a bus
    7- Pressing "Command + delete" delete the selected track but send a confirmation window before doing so. 
    8- Pressing "Command + Send" create an fx send on the selected track or bus
    9- Allow fx insertion on instrument and midi tracks
    10- Page Left/right buttons in the channel strip control allow to navigate through up to 16 fx send
    11- While in "Layer view", +8/-8 buttons scroll through layers of a channel in bank of 8

Hardwired
    1- Ask Roland to publish a plan (destined to a qualified technician) to convert the ¼ line inputs to ¼ direct outs
    2- Untie sub and main volume on the console (since it is done before the DA conversion, I assume it can be done via software...)
    3- Abillity to change the sample rate without rebooting the interface
    4 - Design an extra 8 channels expansion module which could be daisy-chained, in any number (max 24 channels?) with the console using multiple propriatery cables (or USB?) 

Edition
    Allow selecting track by time with the now time cursor
    1. Select a channel on the console
    2. Hold ATL+Jog wheel to select a time period
    3. Spread the selected time accross tracks by holding SHIFT+CTRL and selecting channels on the console OR pressing a bus select button to spread the selection across the tracks assigned to it
    4. Copy, cut , paste , split and delete the selection directly OR hold CTRL and use the jog wheel to take a copy of the selection and drag it to the desired location (as we do with the mouse).
    Zooming
    1- Command+Jog Zoom at the « Now time » cursor
    2- ALT+ Jog temprarily disengage snap settings to allow the Now Time cursor to scroll faster through the project

Bus mode:
    The Bus mode allow quick navigation and adjustment of all the tracks which are routed to a single bus. Similar to "Branch Mode".

1. Press "Command+sel" while in the bus fader view

2. The bus led start to blink and all audio tracks routed to this bus are displayed on the console channels.
         * If "touch fader select track" is enabled in the console property page, Sonar will temporarely fit the bus' assigned tracks height to fill the track view screen, otherwise Sonar's view won't be affected.

3. If more than 8 tracks are routed to this bus, using bank buttons allow to navigate the tracks which are routed to this bus only.

4. Standard effect insert, panning, input, output, volume and MSR are availible to adjust separate tracks, just like in Track fader view.

5. Press the bus blinking button to exit bus mode and return to bus fader view.

Plugin mode:

1. Press "Ctrl+sel" to choose a track or a bus

2. Press "Arm" on one of the eight channel strip to determine the position of the effect that will be inserted.

3. The plugins or plugins folder will be displayed one per channel strip on the 2 rows of the display for a 
    total of 16 availible at a time.

4. Press "Mute" button of the corresponding channel strip to insert the plugin or folder located in the first row of the display or press "Solo" to select the one in the lower row of the display. 

5. If you choose a folder, all the folder content will be expanded on the 2 row of the display. Press "arm" button to close the current folder and come back to the previous view.

6. If there are more than 16 plugins or folder availible, scroll the rows by bank of 16 by turning any channel strip's encoder (clockwise +16, counter-clockwise -16).

7. Effect chains will be shown as well.

Fantom mode:
    The Fantom mode allow direct control over the Fantom built in mixer, effect and an easier and faster access to its sound bank.

1. Press "Alt+command+I-O control" to enter Fantom mode

2. All faders on the VS700c will update to show the current position in the fantom mixer

3. The display will show all the categories , in bank of 16. The category containing the currently selected 
    sound will be identified by the the matching "Mute" or "Solo" button on the appropriate channel strip.
          *Those buttons, rotary encoders and the console display while in Fantom mode will always be used for presets selections, allowing faster and easier preset navigation at any time

* See «  Fantom preset selection »

*+8 and -8 button will scroll through the 16 channels of the fantom mixer
    *FLIP button will toggle the faders and banking buttons between the Fantom and Sonar's mixer
    *Flip + command will toggle between 2 Fantoms when two VS700R are connected

4. Some basic elements of the Fantom are availible in the channel strip control section. The ACT button keeps its usual function for user custom settings.

* See « Fantom control » 

Midi edit mode

Midi edit mode lets you instantly focus on midi data and let the user navigate in the piano roll view as he would in the track view.

1. Press "Command + Edit" buttons to access Midi edit mode

The console will update its display to show all tracks containing midi data (including instruments tracks) and ignore all other audio tracks.

2. Select the track to be edited with the corresponding track's "select" button.

Selecting notes 

The transport controls ( jogwheel and arrows) will let you scroll through the notes in the piano roll view.  Instead of an edit cursor, the position of the now time cursor will be shown by the corresponding note being selected, the one closest to C4, instantly availible for edition.  

Scrolling with the jogwheel move the selection right or left, one note at a time and the up/down arrow select the notes above or below.  The snap to grid setting is ignored for navigation.

3. Pressing "enter" add the note to the current selection, cancel remove it.

4. "Snap" button quantise the selection

5. "Set" button fit the midi content to the track

6. Holding "ctrl + Jog" allow velocity adjustments

7. The Flags enable adjusting all selected notes lenght, from start or from the end point, with the jogwheel.

8. "Command + Jogwheel" zoom at the currently selected note

9. "Shift + Jogwheel/arrows" move selected note on the snap grid

post edited by Dyonight - 2011/12/25 15:09:28
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/24 19:34:04 (permalink)
    Got one:

1. Input pot allows you to select 'NONE'. About time surely....?
    post edited by Mully - 2011/10/26 09:15:47

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/26 10:02:20 (permalink)
    Very nice Mully thanks! I added it to the list!

I changed the way  to acces it. Look under general console functions to see if you like it.
    post edited by Dyonight - 2011/10/26 10:34:53
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/26 10:06:25 (permalink)
    This is a little sad... already 99+ views and absolutely no sign of anyone (except Mully !)

If you see this and agree or not, please at least post "+1", "-1", "go to hell" or whatever.

Come on, there's shurely one detail that bother you somewhere that could easily be addressed... or just agree with the top list.

Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/26 10:07:25 (permalink)
    By the way, everytime someone add something I'll add it to the "official" list... so bring it on!
    e.Blue
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 693
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/26 10:45:03 (permalink)
    Wow...You've really been thinking hard about this stuff. I honestly haven't been expecting anymore updates on the VS-700 system. I would sincerely appreciate any continued development especially the Fantom operational improvements that you've outlined.

My request would be to have them add support for Pro Tools HUI protocol. Right now the console is completely useless with Pro Tools. After getting used to the VS-700, it feels really weird using any DAW without a console. So far, Pro Tools is the only one that I've encountered that can't use the VS-700C console at all.

-e.B

downSouthsidemusic - recording / mixing / mastering / production / custom sounds & loops
    Everett 'e.Blue' Garnett - Owner/Operator
    Full gear listing available here: Hardware / Software / See us on 
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/26 12:05:00 (permalink)
    e.Blue

Wow...You've really been thinking hard about this stuff. I honestly haven't been expecting anymore updates on the VS-700 system. I would sincerely appreciate any continued development especially the Fantom operational improvements that you've outlined.

My request would be to have them add support for Pro Tools HUI protocol. Right now the console is completely useless with Pro Tools. After getting used to the VS-700, it feels really weird using any DAW without a console. So far, Pro Tools is the only one that I've encountered that can't use the VS-700C console at all.

-e.B

Added! Thanks eBlue.

I believe that if Cakewalk see our desire to keep this product alive and if we give *REAL* suggestions instead of complaining maybe that will help them focusing their efforts in the right direction and make all current and future costumers die-hard Cakewalk/Roland disciples...

This way, everyone wins.
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/26 21:04:05 (permalink)
    +1 Dyonight and *Bump*

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Mully
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/27 02:51:43 (permalink)
    Dyo regarding VU meters, are you thinking VU meters being available per channel? Definitely keen for that option... I'm still using the 32 bit PSP release!

Another option we could certainly use is the option to select meter mode globally and simply. For example, how about a default setting to display all meters how you prefer... for example RMS+Peak? It's a slow process right now....

Cheers!

Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/27 08:44:55 (permalink)
    Mully

Dyo regarding VU meters, are you thinking VU meters being available per channel? Definitely keen for that option... I'm still using the 32 bit PSP release! 

Not shure about the fisrt part, could you be more specific?
    Another option we could certainly use is the option to select meter mode globally and simply. For example, how about a default setting to display all meters how you prefer... for example RMS+Peak? It's a slow process right now....

Cheers!
    I' ve added it to the general console functions, check if I understood and translated it correctly!

Thanks!

Mully
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/30 21:27:30 (permalink)
    Hi Dyo... for VU I'm thinking the option would be to display a VU or two for stereo on each channel including busses. The metering option I think would be best served by a single pop up window that lets you simply tick the options you prefer. Cheers.

Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/31 09:35:10 (permalink)

I believe that if Cakewalk see our desire to keep this product alive and if we give *REAL* suggestions instead of complaining maybe that will help them focusing their efforts in the right direction and make all current and future costumers die-hard Cakewalk/Roland disciples...

This way, everyone wins.
    Hi all,

The absolute best way to ensure we see your feature requests for the VS-700, or any of our products, is to use the Feature Request form on our website:

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/contact/featurerequest.aspx

In addition, if you have the VS-700 and are working with X1 or X1 Expanded and something doesn't look or feel right, please let us know by using our Problem Reporter:

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/contact/problemreport.aspx

Folks from Cakewalk do pop in here from time to time, however please remember this is a user forum. Anytime you need to contact us directly please do so using the above links or by dropping our fine support staff an email.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/contact/default.aspx

Thanks for your continued support.

Cheers,

Samara

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/10/31 18:46:42 (permalink)
    Yeah that's the point. Once we have everything consolidated in one place the goal is to send this to the features request.

The good aspect of doing it here first is we can share ideas and comments and avoid sending 200 times the same feature request but expand and find what users really want.

By the way Samara, do you think the list above is something that could be implemented to the VS700? Are you aware if some things are impossible realise?

Thanks!
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/11/02 13:33:15 (permalink)
    Mully

Hi Dyo... for VU I'm thinking the option would be to display a VU or two for stereo on each channel including busses. 
    Still not shure... do you mean in Sonar, create a new plugin for VU metering?
    The metering option I think would be best served by a single pop up window that lets you simply tick the options you prefer. Cheers.

Ok I corrected the function above. Check to see if I understood this time...
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/11/02 13:34:36 (permalink)
    I'll send the list tomorrow.... if someone have something to add please do!
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/11/03 09:29:39 (permalink)
    I'll send this tonight.  I you think of something please post it here.
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/11/03 09:45:53 (permalink)
    Samara Krugman

This way, everyone wins.
    Hi all,

The absolute best way to ensure we see your feature requests for the VS-700, or any of our products, is to use the Feature Request form on our website:

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/contact/featurerequest.aspx

In addition, if you have the VS-700 and are working with X1 or X1 Expanded and something doesn't look or feel right, please let us know by using our Problem Reporter:

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/contact/problemreport.aspx

Folks from Cakewalk do pop in here from time to time, however please remember this is a user forum. Anytime you need to contact us directly please do so using the above links or by dropping our fine support staff an email.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/contact/default.aspx

Thanks for your continued support.

Cheers,

Samara

Hi Samara,

Do you think it would be possible to have any feedback regarding the list above?

The goal is to make a definitive list. So that once THIS list is adressed, everyone will be satisfied.

Do you think you'll have the ressource to make such a thing happen?

I know some feature must be a real programmation challenge but that could be the last major update for the vs700 ever asked.

So any chance we, users, could have something like "In process", "Impossible" or "Completed"?

Have you planned to support the VS That much? Or do you have other plans?

Thanks for your honnesty.
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/11/04 08:13:59 (permalink)
    Dyonight

I'll send this tonight.  I you think of something please post it here.

Done
    Mully
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/11/06 06:56:53 (permalink)
    Hiya Dyo.. sorry I missed your earlier query regarding the VU metering and yes, a pop up that includes global options is spot on. A plug in VU option is fine... will take anything.

Grent
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/12/12 13:44:20 (permalink)
    Wow, dunno why, but I missed this thread entirely. I have some requests posted in other threads. I will post them here shortly. Zooming in PRV view is one thing. And simple MIDI Editing. Must have read 'Fantom' and skipped (since I own the VS-700c only).
    Grent
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/12/13 07:21:26 (permalink)
    Some of your suggested features are DEARLY needed. Especially the parts "Edition" and "Zooming". As I understand you did already send your feature request. I just sent mine too. Just posting it here as a reference.

As stated in this thread I created ages ago:

- to be able to scroll and zoom in the PRV
    - meters working at instrument tracks
    - to be able to create SENDs at instrument tracks
    - to be able to control more than 8 Layers (using fader bank +/- 8 buttons)
    - to be able to control more than 4 SENDS (using the page +/- buttons)
    - to be able to create a bus (using e.g. command + track)
     - to be able to delete a track
    - to be able to insert audio effects to instrument tracks
    - to be able to insert midi effects to midi tracks

After that list you can imagine I stopped working with Instrument tracks.

And in this thread I suggested simple MIDI Editing:

As we know, editing MIDI (just like using Zoom) in the Piano Roll View is not possible via our beloved VS700c console.

I find myself using the mouse for mainly 3 tasks (apart from zooming):
    - moving a wrongly recorded note up or down
    - in- or decreasing a note's length
    - in- or decreacing a note's velocity

I thought, mirroring the VS700c's capabilities of editing in Track View to Piano Roll View could do the trick (this probably sounds easier than it is, but I guess I would not be too hard to implement):

- select a note via Select Button (toggle between notes via Cursor Buttons)
    - move the note up or down via Edit Button and Cursor Button Up/Down
    - enlenghten or shorten via Edit, the "Flag" Buttons and the Wheel
    - edit velocity via CTRL + FADER 1 (this is the only method on here, using a new approach)

I know, some rarely touch MIDI. Some program it all along. But I could imagine, many - just like me - record MIDI on the fly. And then, you hit the wrong note, or hit one too hard, or for a shorter time than intended. And as you already have your hands on the console, changing to PRV and scrolling to find the culprits, as I see it, the console could quite easily help you out in these cases, if MIDI Editing would be implemented. And then, also copying and deleting notes don't seem far fechted either.

Could these implementions be part of an update? Is it realistic? Will there ever be an update containing new or enhanced features in the first place?
    post edited by Grent - 2011/12/13 07:25:05
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/12/22 08:12:36 (permalink)
    Hi Grent,

I've already sent the list above but I'll take some time today to integrate your requests, which are indeed something that is not covered at all.

I'll keep you updated once it's up to date.

Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/12/22 08:18:14 (permalink)
    I'll do it simply because I'm one of the first crying for updates and if I'm not even able to complete a simple list how can I ask anything from Cakewalk!!!

Thanks for your inputs everyone, I think this start to be a very nice suggestion list!
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/12/22 12:48:39 (permalink)
    Ok Grent, I've added your suggestions.

I've created a "Midi edit mode", take a look if it meets your needs or if it is needlessely complicated.

I've added your other suggestions in the "General console functions" category.

Cheers!
    Norrie
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/12/23 22:45:59 (permalink)
     Hi Dyonight !

Can you add a hardware up grade to your list ?
    I would love to see an extra 8 faders for the VS-700
    I usualy like to work with at least 12 mics on my drum kit and would be better to have all the faders in view rather than haveing to bank up and down to see the other 4+
    Also I think over log periods of time there might be a lot of wear and tear on the faders with flicking back and forward every couple of seconds.

With that said and extra 8 faders would be fantastic and ive spoken to a few people who think it would be a good idea it would make it a lot like the PreSonus StudioLive 16 channel http://www.dv247.com/stud...udiolive-16-0-2--85721
    And the SSL Neucleus http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/nucleus/
    Ive noticed more and more companys releaseing products with 16 faders and think we could benefit from it ( I know my workflow would improve a lot from it )
    Basicaly something like what mackie have done for years with there MCU PRO http://www.mackie.com/products/mcupro/index.html
    Would be fantastic to see something like this

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/12/23 22:48:24 (permalink)
    Oh and if they could add a talk back function to it that really would be kick ass !

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Dyonight
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/12/25 15:14:30 (permalink)
    Nice one Norrie.

For the talkback, I don't know how it could be easily integrated... What I do is that I use the console Aux in with a mic with a switch. Just be careful for feedback with your monitors.

The best option I think is to get a HP-60 from Presonus. Look like a very nice headphone distribution system and there's a talkback input as well!

Norrie
    Re:X1 integration list 2011/12/25 18:02:08 (permalink)
     I am currently useing a custom mic made by Bob Heil from Heil Sound he put a push to talk switch into a pr22 for me. It gets the job done :)

It would have been nice to have seen a talk back in the vs700 when it was released but if for some reason I am ever lucky enough to see a fader bank add on it might be something for them to think about adding in :)

Hope your haveing a good Xmas buddy

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1