Socket 1155 or Socket 2011?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
elsongs
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
2012/06/16 17:54:22 (permalink)

Socket 1155 or Socket 2011?

I'm building a new DAW PC soon, should I go Socket 1155 or go state-of-the-art and jump into Socket 2011? What are the advantages/disadvantages? I haven't built a system since 2005...

Elson Trinidad Los Angeles, CA, USA
Web: www.elsongs.com
Twitter: twitter.com/elsongs

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6MHz 
MB: ASRock X79 Xtreme4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation
MIDI: MOTU Microlite & Novation Impulse 61

46 Replies Related Threads

elsongs
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/25 02:17:23 (permalink)
    bumpity-bump!

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/25 09:57:32 (permalink)
    depends on your needs, unless you ae doing a ton of VSTi (and i doubt it since the age of your present system)
    just go 1155 Z77 and a 3770

on the other hand a 3820 is the same price as a 3770 and its faster
    the board for 2011 will cost more and you need 4 sticks ram vs 2

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    elsongs
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/25 16:42:00 (permalink)
    jcschild

depends on your needs, unless you ae doing a ton of VSTi (and i doubt it since the age of your present system)
    just go 1155 Z77 and a 3770

on the other hand a 3820 is the same price as a 3770 and its faster
    the board for 2011 will cost more and you need 4 sticks ram vs 2

Why do I need 4 sticks or RAM on the 2011 board?

I'm also concerned with connectivity. It seems to me that socket 2011 boards do not support PCI anymore. 

jcschild
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/25 18:13:18 (permalink)
    4 sticks "quad channel" most 2011 boards now have 8 slots for ram
    2 stick means you are getting 1/2 the bandwidth as it will run in dual channel.

both 1155 and 2011 have PCIe to PCI bridge. as in NOT native anymore.
    depending on what interface it may or may not work..
    RME works fine in either
    M-audio/Echo and few others probably not.. Lynx for the most part works.

PCI is pretty much dead at this point..

Scott
    ADK
    elsongs
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/25 21:35:07 (permalink)
    jcschild

4 sticks "quad channel" most 2011 boards now have 8 slots for ram
    2 stick means you are getting 1/2 the bandwidth as it will run in dual channel.

both 1155 and 2011 have PCIe to PCI bridge. as in NOT native anymore.
    depending on what interface it may or may not work..
    RME works fine in either
    M-audio/Echo and few others probably not.. Lynx for the most part works.

PCI is pretty much dead at this point..

Thanks. Since hardly anyone is making PCIe audio cards, and Firewire is on its way out, I have to settle for USB 2.0 now?

Goddard
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/25 22:52:54 (permalink)
      Actually, afaik, 2011 X79 PCH does support native PCI, as do 1155 B75 and Q77 PCHs. So, I wouldn't say PCI is dead quite yet (unless board makers stop supporting their cards with current drivers). PCI can still offer better performance (esp. lower latency) than USB or FW.
    jcschild
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/26 10:04:55 (permalink)
    no its NOT native its bridged.. there is no direct connect its bridged thru 1 of the PCIe connections
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/x79-express-chipset-diagram.html
    as i said some cards work others will not

PCI does not nessesarily offer lower latency than USB/FW it depends on the interfaces you are comparing.
    i would put an RME USB up again an M-Audio/Echo/Emu PCI all day long..

Elsongs.. there are many good quality USB/FW interfaces for low lantency

RME
    Steinberg
    Presonus VSL series
    Motu Hybrids
    M-Audio ultra 8 R
    NI Kontrol 6
    Lynx Aurora with FW/USB or Hilo.

post edited by jcschild - 2012/07/26 10:07:26

Scott
    ADK
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/26 11:13:41 (permalink)
    Also, a highly recommended interface to consider is Rolands Quad -Capture (or Octa-Capture for more inputs).

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1166

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    jcschild
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/26 11:57:12 (permalink)
    the quad is nice but NOT low latency...

Scott
    ADK
    Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/26 16:49:10 (permalink)

jschildno its NOT native its bridged.. there is no direct connect its bridged thru 1 of the PCIe connections 
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/x79-express-chipset-diagram.html 

Um, per Intel's tech specs (see 5.1.1 here: http://www.intel.com/cont...chipset-datasheet.html
    the X79 PCH does indeed provide a 'native' (conventional) PCI bus interface. 

Yes, there is the option for a "PCI legacy mode" bridging off PCIe (see 5.2) but that will require equipping an extra PCIe-PCI bridge chip and thus increase costs and layout complexity, which may explain why none of the X79 mobo's I've seen having a PCI slot (and there are a few on the market) has bridged PCI slots. 

See for example Intel's DX79SI mobo (which also btw has VIA VT6315N PCIe FW). Oh yeah, I'd forgotten before, some ASRock X79 boards do offer 2x PCI slots, as well as the same VIA PCIe FW.

[edit: had to change browsers, formatting here wouldn't work with FF]
    post edited by Goddard - 2012/07/27 17:56:46
    Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/27 16:43:25 (permalink)
    jcschild

PCI does not nessesarily offer lower latency than USB/FW it depends on the interfaces you are comparing.
    i would put an RME USB up again an M-Audio/Echo/Emu PCI all day long.. ]

Ok, so just compare RME to RME then. Even RME have stated that their PCI is lower latency than their FW/USB. See message #8 here:
    http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12311

Of course it also depends (often, especially) upon how good the drivers are, and whether they work under the OS and with the particular app. This being a Cakewalk forum, it is notable that Sonar X1 is capable of exploiting WaveRT drivers for lower latency and reduced cpu load under Win7 (and Vista also). But WaveRT only works with PCI/PCIe, not with USB or FW.

For example, Lynx's AES16 PCI card has some advanced capabilities for a PCI card, such as "scatter-gather DMA" capability, which mean it is capable of working well in a 64-bit system with more than 4GBs of memory. And particularly, Lynx do offer WaveRT drivers (which can exploit scatter-gather DMA for even lower latency with a PCI card) for it, so it has the possibility to work especially well in Sonar X1. Echo also offer WaveRT drivers for their later PCI interfaces. And ASIO4ALL also has WaveRT support.

Sure, if someone is moving to a new up-to-date system it may be more future-proof for them to replace their existing RME HDSP PCI with the HDSPE PCIe version, or their existing AES16 with the AES16e PCIe version, but that is a fairly expensive proposition on top of the cost of the new system which may not be really necessary if they can still use their expensive PCI card just as well in a new system which has native PCI support. And they might even achieve lower latency and loading in Sonar  if their PCI card manufacturer offers well-written WaveRT drivers (or perhaps, current ASIO2 drivers).
    post edited by Goddard - 2012/07/27 16:50:02
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/29 18:11:49 (permalink)
    for the record, the Frontier Design Dakota (PCI) works on MSI and AsRock motherboards with bridged PCI. I'll have to dig up the model numbers, but these were two SandyBridge based systems, built primarily for gaming, and while I had them in the basement I figured I'd at least test them. I am quite bummed that I will have to finally retire my Dakota/Montana/Sierra combo, it has worked so well for me for a very long time!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    jcschild
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/30 09:52:22 (permalink)
    Goddard,

how many systems a week do you benchmark? how many different interfaces?
    does RME send you beta interfaces in order to test compatibility and benchmark?

how much impirical data do you have to back up your posts?

oh and waves RT dont make me laugh... anything but asio is a joke.

Scott
    ADK
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/30 13:25:34 (permalink)
    I'm wondering how a 3770 would perform on an older 1155 board, I notice my BIOS update now supports the new chips so I'm wondering if it would be worth considering one of these newer processors as a mid-life upgrade for one of the older H67/P67 chipset boards.

Not that I NEED one you understand...
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/07/30 13:45:03

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/30 23:05:41 (permalink)
    jcschild

Goddard,

how many systems a week do you benchmark? how many different interfaces?
    does RME send you beta interfaces in order to test compatibility and benchmark?

how much impirical data do you have to back up your posts?

oh and waves RT dont make me laugh... anything but asio is a joke.
    Scott,

I rarely benchmark these days, although there was a time back when I did quite a bit involving busmastering DMA on chipsets and drive controllers, hard drives and PCI interfaces. Back in the dark days when we all struggled desperately to stream multitrack audio on underpowered PCs. 

In fact, I've been spec'ing and building PCs for A/V (for my own demanding self) since the TB Quad and Twelve Tone days, at least as long as that Studio Cat critter, and recording/producing on them at least as long as that Perlman feller. Ha, I once even had an 'argument' with Sr Jose Catena about early BM IDE support (Jose, if you are still around, Hi! and what ever happened to DskBench and your articles on ProRec?). IOW, been around DAWs for a good while (like, even before they were called 'DAW's).

Got turned off Cakewalk for various reasons and went in a different direction after that until recently, after picking up a V-Studio, and have decided to give Sonar a chance now. Which brought me back here after all these years (used to post here and elsewhere back then under a different nym, so not really as newbie as I may appear, only stats-wise since the old CW forums are gone/redone).

And no, RME don't send me betas to test, although I'm quite willng to test out a Babyface for them if they like. They claim to have a good USB implementations and I'm kinda curious how well their DSP FX works (referenced to my old DSPF FX), and for sure, if they ever do a PCIe version (hint, hint), I'd be very happy to be a guinea pig.

Don't have any data at hand (had asked Vin/TAFKAT a while back about benching  Echo's WaveRT drivers but no joy). However, from the info and test results on Vin's DAWBench site, it seem pretty apparent IMO that PCI/PCIe interfaces still perform better than outboard USB or FW ones.

And, I do know how to read a tech spec (and know better than to rely only on Intel's chipset block diagrams, which often omit more mundane details like native PCI). And I do have a bit of experience using a few audio interfaces with a number of PCs over the years. For a while I was even involved on the technical side with a Korean manufacturer which produced one of the early PCI audio interfaces. 

From my own perspective, I've encountered a lot more problems with USB and FW interfaces (and USB/FW external storage as well) than I ever have with PCI audio interfaces (or even with ISA audio cards), such that I tend to shy away from replacing a still-workable PCI audio interface with a FW or USB one when I upgrade to a newer system. And fortunately, even some of the latest mobo's still offer native PCI support, which I find to be just great even if you happen to think it's a dead end.

Regarding WaveRT and anything but ASIO being a joke, well, maybe I'm just being hopelessly wishful. Been around long enough to still appreciate any technical advance that offers the potential to reduce cpu loading at smaller audio buffer sizes. And IME ASIO still has its quirks and limitations. True, few interface manufacturers offer WaveRT drivers (no USB or FW support) and only a few DAW apps including Sonar support it so far. But that lack of support  IMO is not because WaveRT doesn't work.

So, have you actually benchmarked WaveRT on any PCI/PCIe interfaces with Sonar? How about the Lynx cards?

I'm reminded of a thread I once lurked across here back in the early Vista days, where someone had posted low latency/cpu-loading figures for their laptop's onboard audio using WaveRT drivers (or maybe it was ASIO4ALL with WaveRT wrapper?), and everyone jumped on the poster, arguing that couldn't be so because of Vista having much higher latency  As I recall, even Noel B. chimed in that Vista had latency problems, with high latency figures for a Roland interface (USB, not WaveRT of course). 

Really, this all kinda reminds me of how, way back when, Adaptec and the other SCSI folks were dissing and downplaying EIDE for audio, until busmastered UDMA was shown to actually outperform SCSI at lower cpu-loading and at far lower cost. 

Look, I'm not selling PCs and audio interfaces, and really have no interest in what equipment people buy or use. Doesn't matter to me whether people want to try to extend the life of their older PCI interfaces or go buy a new USB or FW one from you. But speaking personally, if I had a once-expensive PCI interface that was still supported, I believe I would rather spend whatever disposable income I had on a better mic or preamp or a more powerful system rather than on a USB or FW interface I might not really have needed or which might not perform as well. 'Cause as we all know, nobody ever had a problem with their FW/USB interfaces...

Btw, I do currently use some 'recent' USB interfaces with notebook PC (V-Studio and Tascam) and iPad (Alesis and Tascam) and they work ok. Got rid of the older USB and  FW gear years ago, was just too much of a crapshoot, er, chipshoot, whether it would work reliably.

And I'm not all that keen on going PCIe unless it does perform better or I have no other option. Sure, MOTU came out with a PCIe version of their 424 PCI/PCI-X host card, but it's basically still the same PCI guts with a PCIe-PCI bridge chip (same for ESI's Maxio host card). Seems a number of  PCIe audio card offerings have been driven by what slots Apple put in their current Macs (e.g. PCI-X replacing PCI before), with PCs just an afterthought. RME being a notable exception there, I suppose.

There was an interesting survey in SoS mag some years back where they'd asked a bunch of audio interface manufacturers about future support for PCI,  PCIe (which was then quite new), USB and FW, and IIRC some PCI card makers were saying that PCIe did not offer the same performance advantage over PCI as PCI had over ISA, so they thought there was no rush to come out with PCIe versions. Ok, found it:

http://www.soundonsound.c...rticles/pcmusician.htm

Now then, if I did happen to be in the biz of selling DAW PCs, I might just  think about validating and then advertising that native PCI support was still available (maybe as an option) on certain PCs I offered. Might just be  folks with old PT-HD, Scope, PoCo etc. cards interested.

Heh, looking just now at Scan's site, noticed that they describe their 6-core X-79 offering thusly: "We selected the Asus motherboard solution for this system as it's one of the few offering legacy PCI support on this platform, so you don't have to get rid of that old soundcard or DSP card. What it does allow you to do is mix old and new and build your own ultimate studio solution" 

Hmm, now what do they mean by 'legacy PCI support'? 

Hmm, maybe that's why PCI interfaces still work on some X79 mobo's.

Ok, lunch break's over, back to the license plate stamping machine...
    =Goddard
    Jonbouy
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/31 09:56:00 (permalink)

Some PCI interfaces work on some bridged motherboards.  It's just that its a bit of a crap-shoot now.

The other thing is that there are increasingly fewer card vendors updating PCI drivers.

I'd say the situation overall was bad enough to call PCI dead as far as audio goes, unless you do have a legacy card that you can get working on a current board, good luck with that.

Certainly if you were looking at re-equipping PCI would most definitely not be a good choice.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/07/31 09:59:49

Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/31 13:58:52 (permalink)
    elsongs

I'm building a new DAW PC soon, should I go Socket 1155 or go state-of-the-art and jump into Socket 2011? What are the advantages/disadvantages? I haven't built a system since 2005...

Go with 2012 and Intel I7 6 core
    Invest in something that has real performance gain now and has headroom for the future. You have something that will work for years. Add at least 16GB of RAM!
    post edited by Freddie H - 2012/07/31 14:02:42

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/31 14:13:56 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Some PCI interfaces work on some bridged motherboards.   

Sigh...

Ok, look, it's very simple, and I'll type slowly so you can understand (that  my statement you quoted above was meant to express 'irony'):

Intel's X79 PCH (Platform Controller Hub = chipset) actually does support "native" (conventional) PCI, because Intel do include a native PCI bus interface in it. so that an X79 motherboard does not need to use a PCIe-PCI bridge for its PCI bus slots.

And, sure enough, X79 motherboards which are equipped with' PCI slots use this X79 PCH' native PCI bus interface, and do not use a PCIe-PCI bridge.

But, some uninformed people (unnamed, look in the mirror to see our latest parrot, er, contestant), who failed to grasp that such PCI slot X79 motherboards do indeed have native PCI support, have been posting misinformation in several DAW-related forums (fora?) stating incorrectly  that X79 mobo's use a PCIe-PCI bridge for PCI, while also making it seem like the great crapshoot miracle whenever a PCI interface works in an X79 mobo.

So, I have attempted to point out the error of said uninformed people's incorrect misinformation. And, with a try at irony, to dispel the great myth about why those PCI cards worked in X79 mobos.

Ok, here's a modest proposal: I invite you to read the X79 PCH datasheet to which I linked previously, and then check the PCB of an X79 mobo with PCI slot for a PCIe-PCI bridge chip (wot, can't find any bridge chip? hmm, wonder why...  <[hint: more irony]).

Thank you for playing "Perpetuate the 'X79 uses bridged PCI'  Misinformation"...

Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/31 16:07:56 (permalink)
    wst3

for the record, the Frontier Design Dakota (PCI) works on MSI and AsRock motherboards with bridged PCI. I'll have to dig up the model numbers, but these were two SandyBridge based systems, built primarily for gaming, and while I had them in the basement I figured I'd at least test them. I am quite bummed that I will have to finally retire my Dakota/Montana/Sierra combo, it has worked so well for me for a very long time!

Bill, did you track down those mobo model numbers? Kinda curious.

If your Dakota still works, why do have to retire it? Are the FD drivers (ASIO iirc?) buggy, or something else?

And iirc, the Montana only uses the slot (ISA or PCI) for power (same as AX16 ADAT card for DSP Factory) so no driver required.
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/07/31 23:07:31 (permalink)
    Goddard
    Yes I did... yeah, took a bit more digging than I expected!

The gamer machine used the Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 which is a socket 1155 motherboard using the Z68 chipset. Not sure why I thought it was an MSI, sorry for any confusion.

The other machine used the ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 - same chipset and socket.

If your Dakota still works, why do have to retire it? Are the FD drivers (ASIO iirc?) buggy, or something else?
    No driver problems, just preparing for reality. The X79 chipset will probably get me through one more platform before I can no longer use it, which is great news (thanks for the thorough research!) Guess I'm just just trying to stay ahead of the bolder that is headed my way<G>!
    And iirc, the Montana only uses the slot (ISA or PCI) for power (same as AX16 ADAT card for DSP Factory) so no driver required.
    Good memory! It uses either a PCI or even an ISA slot for power, so I just have to find a MOBO with two PCI slots that have 5V supplies, and it wouldn't hurt if the PCI was 'native', at least for the Dakota half of the combo.

Thanks again for all the info on X79 - doing more homework next!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/08/02 05:34:02 (permalink)
    wst3

Goddard
    Yes I did... yeah, took a bit more digging than I expected!

The gamer machine used the Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 which is a socket 1155 motherboard using the Z68 chipset. Not sure why I thought it was an MSI, sorry for any confusion.

The other machine used the ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 - same chipset and socket.

No driver problems, just preparing for reality. The X79 chipset will probably get me through one more platform before I can no longer use it, which is great news (thanks for the thorough research!) Guess I'm just just trying to stay ahead of the bolder that is headed my way<G>!
    Good memory! It uses either a PCI or even an ISA slot for power, so I just have to find a MOBO with two PCI slots that have 5V supplies, and it wouldn't hurt if the PCI was 'native', at least for the Dakota half of the combo.

Thanks again for all the info on X79 - doing more homework next!
    Thanks for that info Bill. Very interesting to learn about your old PCI cards still working in those Z68 mobo's having bridged slots. 

Was that under Win7 or Vista, or XP? IIRC, FDG had developed some Vista drivers even though they'd stopped producing the cards long ago.
    I did almost get a Dakota+Montana back when, because I was using ADAT interfaces (and still am), but Yamaha offered ADAT for the DSP Factory and I got that instead. Then when Yamaha abandoned the DSPF, I wished I'd gone with the Dakota+Montana instead because native mixing and fx were becoming more feasible, and FDG were still supporting their cards.

But I don't actually know what's happening with FDG these days. Iirc for a while they were doing Tascam's FW consoles and had stopped offering much of their own gear, and then had heard they were working on PreSonus' mixers. I still use my Tranzport, which they appear to still support even though it's been replaced by the newer Alphatrack.

There is still quite a bit of interest in keeping some of the old 'abandoned' legacy PCI pro audio cards running in newer systems. Over at DS2416.org, devoted to the old Yamaha DSP Factory and XG Factory cards, a fellow who offers a control app for those cards has just got his DSPF cards working on an MSI B75 Ivy Bridge board (native PCI) with 16 GBs of RAM under 32-bit Win Server 2k3 (no 64-bit or Vista/7 drivers ever available for the DSPF). 

A hardware hack he did to fit his ISA/PCI ADAT cards into a mobo with PCIe slots that may interest you was sawing off the ISA edge connector and wiring power leads up to a PCI slot connector, so he could mount the card above a vacant PCIe slot with the PCI edge connector facing up and fitted with the wired-up PCI slot connector for power.  

An X79 system could be sweet! I'm tempted myself but the most PCI slots I've seen on an X79 mobo so far is 2 and I'd prefer more, so will probably go with a B75 or maybe C202 PCH board.

Anyway, as you already know, even if a mobo offers native PCI, there is no guarantee its PCI slots will be 5V even if they use 5V slot connectors. Just another potential gotcha with 'legacy' cards.

If you are seeking more info on mobo's with native PCI, you might check forums for other legacy pro audio/DSP  cards like ProTools HD, TC Powercore and Creamware Scope, where users are also trying to keep using their cards in newer systems.

I suppose that one day I'll probably end up replacing my PCI ADAT cards with an RME PCIe ADAT card or change my setup completely, but not in any hurry yet. Music still sounds good and that's the most important thing. A computer DAW is just a tool, and I can still record and produce music without using one, even if I did spend a lot for Sonar.

Yikes. I must sound like Chatty Cathy. Too much espresso in my espresso.

Good luck with your cards in the X79!

Jonbouy
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/08/02 09:05:06 (permalink)
    Goddard

Jonbouy

Sigh...

Ok, look, it's very simple, and I'll type slowly so you can understand (that  my statement you quoted above was meant to express 'irony'):

Intel's X79 PCH (Platform Controller Hub = chipset) actually does support "native" (conventional) PCI, because Intel do include a native PCI bus interface in it. so that an X79 motherboard does not need to use a PCIe-PCI bridge for its PCI bus slots.

And, sure enough, X79 motherboards which are equipped with' PCI slots use this X79 PCH' native PCI bus interface, and do not use a PCIe-PCI bridge.

But, some uninformed people (unnamed, look in the mirror to see our latest parrot, er, contestant), who failed to grasp that such PCI slot X79 motherboards do indeed have native PCI support, have been posting misinformation in several DAW-related forums (fora?) stating incorrectly  that X79 mobo's use a PCIe-PCI bridge for PCI, while also making it seem like the great crapshoot miracle whenever a PCI interface works in an X79 mobo.

So, I have attempted to point out the error of said uninformed people's incorrect misinformation. And, with a try at irony, to dispel the great myth about why those PCI cards worked in X79 mobos.

Ok, here's a modest proposal: I invite you to read the X79 PCH datasheet to which I linked previously, and then check the PCB of an X79 mobo with PCI slot for a PCIe-PCI bridge chip (wot, can't find any bridge chip? hmm, wonder why...  <[hint: more irony]).

Thank you for playing "Perpetuate the 'X79 uses bridged PCI'  Misinformation"...

Ah, I see you are some kind of complete nonse, thanks for confirming what was already coming across.

Where did I say the X79 board you are referring to doesn't use native PCI?  Maybe you ought to read slowly and more carefully too, as you've already identified, and confirmed in the quote above that you certainly need to type more carefully.  I can see where native PCI would appeal to some where they have investment in the technology already AND they can't currently get going on a bridged system, but nobody in their right mind looking forward is going to consider it much of a deal winner.

Good luck in getting updated drivers for any devices you use on your new native PCI slots too.  PCI is a legacy format as far as I'm concerned even given the point I made that you missed that most PCI devices already work swell on many bridged PCI slots anyway, I abandoned them not because of compatability but because of lack of driver support for newer OS's.

Good avatar btw!
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/02 09:24:27

Jonbouy
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/08/02 09:07:11 (permalink)
    Goddard

Yikes. I must sound like Chatty Cathy.

Or something like that...

btw do you know of any current boards that support ISA as well as recent CPU's I've got a perfectly usable Yamaha synth card that I haven't used for 10 years that I'd like to get working again?

I still miss it, progress sure sucks sometimes.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/02 09:22:46

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/08/02 11:26:51 (permalink)
    Goddard
    Ok, look, it's very simple, and I'll type slowly so you can understand (that  my statement you quoted above was meant to express 'irony')

I know you'll correct me (and likely at great length) if I'm wrong, but I believe it's sarcasm that's being expressed there, not irony

In light of your clear intent to express your utter disdain for your audience with both that and the preceding statement to which it refers, I find this mis-characterization itself to be rich in irony. I guess maybe the quotes were intended to allow for some 'fudging' of the definition, but there's rather a lot of fudge (similar in appearance and consistency to bovine excrement but not the same at all) between irony and sarcasm.

Just my off-topic $.02. But please carry on; I'm learning a lot. 

post edited by brundlefly - 2012/08/02 11:28:09

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/08/02 21:02:04 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Goddard

Jonbouy

Sigh...

Ah, I see you are some kind of complete nonse, thanks for confirming what was already coming across.

Not sure what that is, Is that a Brit term? 

I probably am, and that's likely hardly the worst I've been called.

That aside, maybe it's more important to me whether I'm correct in my technical statements

Where did I say the X79 board you are referring to doesn't use native PCI?  
    I believe it was somewhere around the place where after quoting my post about PCI cards working in X79 mobo's  you stated that some PCI interfaces work on some bridged mobo's. 

Yes, I do recall it was somewhere around your mention of "some bridged motherboards" after quoting my post referencing  non-bridged X79. 

Maybe you ought to read slowly and more carefully too, as you've already identified, and confirmed in the quote above that you certainly need to type more carefully.  I can see where native PCI would appeal to some where they have investment in the technology already AND they can't currently get going on a bridged system, but nobody in their right mind looking forward is going to consider it much of a deal winner.

The OP has mentioned connectivity concerns around having been informed that new 1155 and 2011 mobo's lacked native PCI. From which I took it the OP was already using a PCI interface. 

Good luck in getting updated drivers for any devices you use on your new native PCI slots too.  PCI is a legacy format as far as I'm concerned even given the point I made that you missed that most PCI devices already work swell on many bridged PCI slots anyway, I abandoned them not because of compatability but because of lack of driver support for newer OS's.

Yes, lack of driver support has become the main hindrance to carrying forward with PCI, not the lack of native PCI mobo's. The demise, decline and/or withdrawal of a number of major PCI/PCIe interface makers (e.g. Ego Systems/ESI, E-MU, FDG, Terratec) has also not helped the situation  Other major players (Yamaha, Korg) long abandoned the card market. Still, some companies do continue to provide driver support, so they must still be seeing enough demand for their cards to justify that effort.

Good avatar btw!

Thanks, but it's borrowed from somewhere. I gave up back at crafting ASCII grafix for usenet sigs. I do wish the needle was animated, but that would probably get annoying quickly - just like I do.

Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/08/02 21:52:39 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

btw do you know of any current boards that support ISA as well as recent CPU's I've got a perfectly usable Yamaha synth card that I haven't used for 10 years that I'd like to get working again?

I still miss it, progress sure sucks sometimes.

There are still "industrial" (=expensive) mobo's with ISA. Not the most current tech, but able to support Core2 Quad:

http://www.dfi.com/produc...oductDetailsPage=false

http://www.adek.com/ATX_motherboards.html

http://www.attro.com/html/motherboard-2.htm

Note that ISA support on mobo's has been "bridged" since long ago. Usually from the PCI bus, which wasn't a prob and still even today has BIOS support, but just as likely nowadays it's bridged from an I/O chip for keyboards and floppy drives which doesn't support even the minimal DMA capability of ISA. So an old ISA card which needs DMA support might not even work.

Biggest problem with ISA cards would be drivers for the OS. ISA really is ancient, even though one can still find supporting mobos.

Rather than building a current spec system, might be more practical and for sure cheaper to seek out a working older system from the PII or so era secondhand and use an old supported OS for your Yama card, and treat the system as an external sound module. 

Would not surprise me if some folks here still have an old Pete Leoni-inspired roll-yer-own system gathering nostalgic dust somewhere.

Might well be feasible for an old MIDI card which just requires some I/O addresses and maybe an IRQ but where streaming audio over ISA isn't involved. I've an old ISA MIDI-controlled stereo multi-band analog EQ card somewhere I would love to use again. Not to mention some nifty MIDI sampling cards. And even some old Blasters had good FM synthy sounds. Alas...

If you do get an ISA system working, I'll offer you an excellent deal on a pair of sync-able high spec 4-track ISA audio interface cards, for 8 tracks of pristine CD quality sound, if I can ever find them again in the storage.
    post edited by Goddard - 2012/08/02 22:50:20
    Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/08/02 22:37:08 (permalink)
    brundlefly

Goddard
    Ok, look, it's very simple, and I'll type slowly so you can understand (that  my statement you quoted above was meant to express 'irony')

I know you'll correct me (and likely at great length) if I'm wrong, but I believe it's sarcasm that's being expressed there, not irony.  

Possibly. I'd meant to convey how ironic it was that a PCI card works in a bridged PCI mobo which isn't actually a bridged mobo, But I'll settle for being sarcastic.

In light of your clear intent to express your utter disdain for your audience with both that and the preceding statement to which it refers, I find this mis-characterization itself to be rich in irony. I guess maybe the quotes were intended to allow for some 'fudging' of the definition, but there's rather a lot of fudge (similar in appearance and consistency to bovine excrement but not the same at all) between irony and sarcasm.

Naww, I was just poking fun. I'm sure the poster wasn't just kneejerk parrotwise defending Scott's earlier assertions, but it was coming across that way to me, and I frankly couldn't resist when I felt my statement quoted by the poster was used out of context to make a point in direct opposition to (or perhaps, obfuscation of?) what I'd just gone to rather great length to make apparent to anyone, particularly Scott, who bothered to actually consult Intel's X79 specs.

Just my off-topic $.02. But please carry on; I'm learning a lot. 

Ok, as long as you're not the grammar police.

I might confess that I knew of Scott since back when he was supplying overclocking Celerons so folks could build killer budget DAW rigs inspired by Pete Leoni (to whom, along with Jose Catena, many here, not to mention G, Hendershott, owe a great debt for being able to use PCs and Cakewalk software to record music).

And while I'm sure that Scott only means well, and truly wants to help folks avoid problems he likely encounters frequently in supporting his DAW customers, I'd already run across enough of his "PCI is dead" and "no native PCI on current motherboards" assertions in various DAW and audio forums, and I had differing opinions based on my own technical knowledge and experience and have no commercial agenda here, so I offered another and different viewpoint on those matters. Which Scott challenged, and to which challenge I responded in my own endearing way. Blah, blah, yadda, yadda.

See, when Scott asserted that certain USB and FW AIs performed better than some other PCI AIs, and I'd already come across a post previously in RME's forum by an RME sales rep/forum mod stating that RME's own PCI/PCIe AIs performed better latency-wise than their USB and FW AIs, and I happened to have a pretty good idea that RME sales rep/forum mod had worked closely with Scott, well, it was like, kinda too ironic,

I know I do run on at times, but mostly that's only when I'm conscious. Sounds much better when set to music.

Hey y'all! Roll yer own!
    post edited by Goddard - 2012/08/02 22:42:02
    jcschild
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/08/06 09:28:55 (permalink)
    """"See, when Scott asserted that certain USB and FW AIs performed better than some other PCI AIs, and I'd already come across a post previously in RME's forum by an RME sales rep/forum mod stating that RME's own PCI/PCIe AIs performed better latency-wise than their USB and FW AIs, and I happened to have a pretty good idea that RME sales rep/forum mod had worked closely with Scott, well, it was like, kinda too ironic, """"

do NOT twist my words.. i have never said that RME USB/FW works better than RME PCI/PCIe. (pretty dang close however)

i said RMEs USB/FW can work better than some OTHER PCI cards.. EG: Echo/M-Audio/Emu and other low budget older cards

i have also clearly stated many times than a PCI/PCIe is only .75ms better low latency RME vs RME and even Matthis will say this.

i have also stated that there is NO difference in PCI to PCIe benchmark wise (low latency)

lastly. even on an X79 there are still some PCI that simply do not work right... whilst RME will work fine on Z77 when others will not.

keep it stright.  and PCI is dead!

Scott
    ADK
    Goddard
    Re:Socket 1155 or Socket 2011? 2012/08/06 22:17:28 (permalink)
    jcschild

""""See, when Scott asserted that certain USB and FW AIs performed better than some other PCI AIs, and I'd already come across a post previously in RME's forum by an RME sales rep/forum mod stating that RME's own PCI/PCIe AIs performed better latency-wise than their USB and FW AIs, and I happened to have a pretty good idea that RME sales rep/forum mod had worked closely with Scott, well, it was like, kinda too ironic, """"

do NOT twist my words.. i have never said that RME USB/FW works better than RME PCI/PCIe. (pretty dang close however)

Never said you had. I didn't twist anything you said. 

Actually, I had earlier said:
    Goddard
    PCI can still offer better performance (esp. lower latency) than USB or FW.
    jschild
     i said RMEs USB/FW can work better than some OTHER PCI cards.. EG: Echo/M-Audio/Emu and other low budget older cards
    Yep, that's pretty much how you responded  to what I'd said above. Here is exactly what you said:
    jschild
    i would put an RME USB up again an M-Audio/Echo/Emu PCI all day long.. 
    Now, I  never disputed what you wrote there about it depending upon the interface (because I completely agreed - it definitely depends upon the particular interface). 

I had never stated that all PCI interfaces absolutely performed better than all USB or FW interfaces. I said "PCI can still offer..." just as you've just said that "RME's USB/FW can work better than some OTHER PCI".

Btw, perhaps your "all day long" comparison between an RME USB against an M-Audio, Echo, E-Mu PCI needs to be viewed in light of the newer RME USB's much higher cost compared to those "old low budget PCI" interfaces, rather than as proving any inherent performance advantage of USB against PCI (which there isn't - quite the opposite). Apples-to-apples, and dollars to donuts.

So, in response to what you'd pointed out (namely, about it depending upon the interfaces under comparison), I simply pointed to Chris' RME forum post, as an "apples-to-apples" performance comparison of PCI with FW/USB, noting that even with RME (the example you'd just given for your USB vs. PCI comparison), their PCI performed better than their USB/FW as had been stated by Chris (who I knew was one of the better DAW guys around and had worked with you) in RME's forum. 

Seemed to me like a pretty authoritative source for a fair PCI vs FW/USB performance comparison on equal terms, rather than your "all day long" RME USB vs. "old low budget PCI" example. So what's the problem?
    jschild i
     have also clearly stated many times than a PCI/PCIe is only .75ms better low latency RME vs RME and even Matthis will say this.
    Are you talking about RME's PCI compared to RME's PCIe? Or about RME's PCI/PCIe compared to RME's FW/USB?

I don't believe I ever asserted that PCI performance was superior to PCIe, but if anything I said came off that way it was never intended as such. 

However, I may have stated that some PCIe cards offer little or no performance advantage or increased functionality over the PCI versions beyond PCIe compatibility while costing rather more. RME's HDSP and HDSPe PCI host cards being just one example (perhaps this was dictated by a need to remain compatible with their outboard gear), and MOTU's 424 cards being another.
    jschild i
     have also stated that there is NO difference in PCI to PCIe benchmark wise (low latency)
    And I don't believe I have ever asserted any such difference, have I? Nor would I expect there to be much if any difference latency-wise. Any difference would (hopefully) be in the form of  improved bandwidth and lower system loading and DPC latency for PCIe over PCI,

Which of course raises the question, for people using still-supported and/or -workable PCI cards, whether it is advantageous (or even necessary) to dump their PCI card and get a PCIe card. I mean, if one can still use one's PCI interface in a new mobo, and a new PCIe version won't offer much if any improvement, why go to the expense?

But I was talking about PCI vs. USB/FW performance, not PCI vs. PCIe. 

So let's look at USB and FW. In this regard, even with a USB interface having a superior USB implementation (as RME claim to have) and drivers, the host PC still has to do all of the heavy lifting for USB  i/o (due to the way USB is implemented on the host/root side), which loads the cpu and increases DPC latency. And there still arise incompatibilities between certain USB interfaces and certain USB controller chips (and system chipsets) in PCs, most recently involving PC USB3 ports.

FW is better than USB in regard to system loading and DPC latency, because FW controller chips can offload most of the i/o processing and thus don't load the cpu like USB does. However, FW performance and compatibility is still often a concern, and can be a real "chipshoot" gamble both on the interface end (DICE=bad & slow) and PC side, as may be seen from the compatibility info given on most interface manufacturers' website and the benchmarks on the DAWBench site. 
    jschild 
    lastly. even on an X79 there are still some PCI that simply do not work right... whilst RME will work fine on Z77 when others will not.
    Yes, there have always been compatibility issues, for various reasons, on various platforms. But that does not change the fact that the X79 does in fact offer native PCI support, and in any case, such compatibility issues may not necessarily be down to the X79's PCI. A BIOS which does not correctly detect or configure PCI devices, or the different way Windows (since Vista iirc) enumerates and configures PCI devices may be involved. Or it could be drivers which don't play well with 6 cores and 4 channel memory on X79.

PCI compatibility on bridged PCI seems to be a big chipshoot. Even RME appear to have problems with bridged PCI on some Z- mobo's (Z68) judging from posts I've come across on their and other forums. Personally, if I were going with a non-native PCI mobo, I would just as soon get a PCIe interface card. if I could find one suitable to purpose.   

If anything, compatibility is card-by-card and mobo-by-mobo, pretty much as it has been for a long time. IOW, it depends upon the interface, and upon the mobo, same as it ever was.
    jschild 
    keep it stright.
    Hey, I've been straight up about everything, not shouting misinformation about all 1155 and 2011 having bridged PCI (really, you of all people ought to know better).

Lessee now... 

OP posts in forum seeking advice on what platform to build for new DAW, advantages/disadvantages and PCI connectivity. 

You reply, posting misinformation about non-availability of native PCI support on 1155 and 2011 platforms, then state that PCI may or may not work depending on interface, and that RME does work but other interfaces probably won't or maybe might, and also state that PCI is pretty much dead.

OP then asks (quoting your earlier post) whether, since PCIe interface choice is limited and FW seems to be on the way out, he has to settle for a USB2 interface now.

I post, pointing out that X79 and some 1155 do still have native PCI, so that native PCI is not dead quite yet, and that PCI can still offer better performance, especially latency, than FW or USB.

You post, asserting once more mis-info about X79 PCI being bridged and pointing to Intel's incomplete X79 block diagram, state that PCI performance advantantage over FW/USB depends on the interface, that you would put up RME USB against M-Audio, Echo and E-Mu PCI all day long, and recommend a number of FW and USB interfaces to the OP.

I post, pointing out again that X79 does support native PCI and referencing Intel's X79 datasheet (linked on same webpage as the block diagram you linked to), and, in reply to your statement about PCI vs. USB/FW performance depending upon the interface, suggest an apples-to-apples comparison of RME PCI vs. RME FW/USB, pointing to Chris's post in RME's forum, and note that PCI compatibility also depends upon the drivers and OS and application, and mention about WaveRT.

You post, questioning my qualification to speak to audio interface performance, bragging about being an RME' beta tester, and dismissing WaveRT and calling anything but ASIO (btw, no surprise, it's, the only driver mode RME support) a joke.

I post, responding with an explanation of where I'm coming from, suggesting that I might in fact be as qualified to speak to technical matters regarding DAWs and audio interfaces, and addressing your assertion regarding WaveRT. I also suggest  (a bit tongue-in-cheek, as in oh, how ironic!) that the reason why it is being found that PCI  interfaces can somehow work on X79 mobo's  might be that x79 mobo's support native PCI (a technical fact about which you were still completely wrong, were still spreading incorrect info about here and elsewhere, and which you, as '"computer pro" and "DAW seller" should have known or at least been able  to easily confirm was otherwise (or maybe you lost your Intel distro's number?), and still refuse to so admit here).

At this point, another poster posted, quoting my earlier post (in which I had  pointed out again that X79 had native PCI support and had jokingly suggested that  maybe the reason PCI cards work on X79 is that X79 supports native PCI), and then (apparently missing my attempt at a joke) states that some PCI cards work on some bridged mobo's.

So I posted, responding to the other poster, pointing out how my statement which he quoted was meant as irony.

And then yet another poster posted, suggesting that my attempt at irony was actually sarcasm.

So then I posted, responding to the sarcasm/irony distinction suggester's post, by pointing out that I had thought it rather ironic when you (Scott ADK) had disputed my earlier statement that PCI can offer better performance (esp. lower latency) than FW/USB and had asserted your RME USB vs. "old low budget PCI" example, when I knew (from Chris' RME forum post) that even RME's PCI outperforms RME's FW/USB and noted that. 

And, so, here we are now, with you accusing me of twisting your words and not being straight.

So where exactly was I not straight? 

Was I wrong about the availability of native PCI support on certain 2011 and 1155 mobo's? Or were you perhaps the one who was wrong?

Was I wrong in stating that according to RME, their PCI offers better performance than their FW/USB?

All you've done so far in reply to the OP's inquiries is to give incorrect info about native PCI support availability on the platforms he asked about, dismiss PCI as dead, and tell him he needs a FW or USB interface. Not once did you even inquire what PCI interface he wanted to connect, so as to be in a position to advise on whether it could work (you know, based upon your vast knowledge and experience in such matters). Sorry Scott, but it all just smelled like a sales pitch to me. Margins on RME FW and USB gear must be pretty good..
    jschild 
    and PCI is dead!
    Yeah, so you keep saying. just like you kept saying that X79 doesn't support native PCI. Only that don't necessarily make it so. Does makes me wonder though...

Hmm, if PCI is dead, then why do Intel still offer PCI support on some of their latest greatest platforms?

Perhaps it's because there remains a sufficiently strong enough demand for native PCI support in the market that Intel and its mobo mfr chipset customers can turn a nice profit satisfying it? 

Perhaps still enough demand for native PCI support in "industrial" and "telecom" and "data acquisition" and "scientific" and "medical" and "business", etc. market segments, where companies, institutions, hospitals, businesses etc. have invested heavily in PCI cards and software and systems running with them? The kinds of customers that buy mobo's with native PCI and long term support.

So, excuse me while I dispute that PCI is dead. 

Maybe there aren't a great many PCI interfaces still available or supported  (and sadly, maybe even fewer PCIe), but there are still some which can work in current mobo's (yeah, I know it depends upon the PCI card and the mobo) and which can offer comparable if not better performance to some USB and FW interfaces available (yeah, I know, it depends upon the interface). Point being,  if someone still has a  PCI interface and wants to upgrade to a more current system, they might be wise to find out if it will actually work in a newer mobo rather than to ditch it just because they see you keep announcing that PCI is dead. At least, that is,  if they are concerned with audio latency and cpu load and system DPC latency.

But I don't benchmark these days. So I'll simply defer to someone who does:

http://www.dawbench.com/audio-int-lowlatency.htm

and note that, in his Conclusion at the bottom of that page Vin stated:

Vin (TAFKAT) 
    Its quite clear from the testing results that for those that require ultra low latencies , the PCI/PCIe alternatives are always a good option .

Sadly there aren't a lot of professional PCI/PCie cards currently available on the market , developers opting more and more for FW/USB 2 as they can service a far wider market on both desktop and mobile, which is understandable in such a niche market such as ours. I can't help feeling that for some of the developers the focus has definitely shifted away from performance , which I find quite concerning. 

LLP- Low Latency Performance is extremely important for users who require those lower latencies in their work flow, prime example being those that compose with virtual instruments and also guitar amp simulators where the round trip latency also comes into play , more so than those who are doing simple tracking of bands and mixing, for example. 

However its increasingly common for audio interface units to be marketed , reviewed and sold on the bells and whistles , more so than the actual performance, which for some can lead to a rude awakening when the interface delivers poor performance at the preferred working latencies.

Finally, regarding WaveRT being a joke, I will just say that although there are only a very few PCI and PCIe audio interfaces with WaveRT driver support (for various reasons, including MS' screw-ups and reluctance by PCI/PCIe interface makers to develop WaveRT drivers when they had already developed and were supporting ASIO drivers) which do not actually reflect upon the technical merits of WaveRT, there are nonetheless a vast number of WaveRT driver supported audio devices deployed  out there in user land: namely, almost every Windows "High Def Audio" (HDA) onboard soundchip in recent PCs.  
    So, anyone with a recent Windows PC with onboard HDA sound might want to check if it has WaveRT drivers, and if so, test their latency and cpu load and DPC latency under WaveRT for themselves. No, the audio quality might not compare very well with a higher quality pro/prosumer interface (t's just cheapo onboard sound after all), but  that's not the point, which is the  RTL, cpu load and DPC latency performance question.

'Cause you just never know, Scott just might be wrong (it's happened before, right here before our eyes) and your onboard HDA sound might perform decently enough that it could be used say,  for non-critical playback or monitoring or running a digital feed out over.S/PDIF or whatever, and you might end up not needing to lug that expensive FW or USB interface around everywhere..

Selah....

post edited by Goddard - 2012/08/06 22:46:56
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1