Cubase 8......mah!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
GIM Productions
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
2014/12/04 13:50:17 (permalink)

Cubase 8......mah!!

Hi all,maybe it's out of contest but i never understood the popularity of that Daw.
i have just read many happy customers for the "new" features that our dear Daw for a long time....
More care in the Sonar marketing and could be the industry standard daw.....
Again.....i don't understand
No offence.......
Greetings

Intel i7 3600,Asus Z170P,16 GIG Corsair ram,Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i\o,Nektar Impact LX 49,Focusrite Liquid Mix,Monitors ADAM-K&H,Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 SP1
Producer....more stuff in SStudio, Rome ,Italy.

39 Replies Related Threads

BluerecordingStudios
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 916
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/04 13:56:49 (permalink)
    Cubase has at least full working VST3 platform. I prefer not to include new garbage like ****ty soundbanks but instead focusing on functionality of DAW. This is either for Cubase. As for new features I will test how faster can new Cubase engine be compared to Sonar.
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/04 14:07:28 (permalink)
    Cubase is good, you know. It's a very mature and fully-featured program. But this is definitely an underwhelming update.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Obloha
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/04 14:13:37 (permalink)
    GIM Productions
    Hi all,maybe it's out of contest but i never understood the popularity of that Daw.

I am testing Cubase Elements 7 and i use midi inputs. Cubase is rock solid in my notebook, never had graphical issues with automation nodes or mix console, midi input have no issues and it working on 100%. Sonars midi input not work propertly. And i am plan to change from X2 to C8. Maybe i stay if X4 will have notation much better as now and fix midi input.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/04 14:31:20 (permalink)
    BluerecordingStudios
    Cubase has at least full working VST3 platform.

Having defined the spec, they had a bit of a head start. Given that (like MIDI) manufacturers can choose to implement the portions of the spec they consider most relevant, I'm sure SONAR's VST3 implementation will evolve over time. (BTW you never did answer my question in another thread about what made the VST3 implementation a "disaster," I was hoping for some useful feedback to pass along to the Bakers.)

At least Cubase updated the Quadrafuzz I designed! That's cool. And they still give me credit 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    BluerecordingStudios
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/04 15:30:50 (permalink)
    Anderton
    VST3 implementation a "disaster," I was hoping for some useful feedback to pass along to the Bakers.)

Simple answer - several midi ports input, probably the most important function of VST3
    Anderton
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/04 20:51:39 (permalink)
    Okay, you mean the dedicated event bus. What interests me the most about that is it's not restricted to MIDI. What are your favorite plug-ins that have an event bus input, and do you know of any that use an alternative to MIDI for the event bus?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    swamptooth
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2229
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/04 23:39:28 (permalink)
    Like that a new version of quadrafuzz is included.  One of my faves, Craig.

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

BluerecordingStudios
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/04 23:59:17 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Okay, you mean the dedicated event bus. What interests me the most about that is it's not restricted to MIDI. What are your favorite plug-ins that have an event bus input, and do you know of any that use an alternative to MIDI for the event bus?

Vienna Symphonic Library
    swamptooth
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 00:29:19 (permalink)
    As far as alternatives to midi, I find their note expression for vst3s very creative. 

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 01:02:17 (permalink)
    Does anybody besides VSL and Cubases make use if dedicated event busses? Info via google seems to be a bit slim here.

laudem Deo
    Milton
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 02:27:50 (permalink)
    Sure hope Sonar X4 is watching Cubase 8 Pro and Protools AAX. I sometimes use Cubase (was my exclusive DAW prior to Sonar) and love its stability and functionality, i.e. Re-Record mode, Chord Track, Chord Pad, and a full score editor (almost). I'm waiting to see if Sonar X4 overhauls it's audio engine and core/thread/RAM performance. Both Cubase and Protools seems to be way ahead of the curve on these elements. Almost bought the Cubase 8 Pro upgrade today just for the fact that Cubase has redone their audio engine to provide more soft synths, plugins, and LOWER latency/buffer settings. Oh please Sonar pay attention to your competitors. Hope X4 is released soon before I jump ship.

ADK Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell Processor overclocked to 4.2GHz, 32Gb RAM, SSD drives, Windows 10, Lynx Aurora 8 Thunderbolt Converter, FOCAL Be6 Reference monitors, SONAR Platinum @24bit 96KHz, KONTAKT 5, Vienna Symphonic Libraries, VSL Ensemble Pro, Superior Drummer, Trillian, Ozone 7 Advanced, RX5
    MachineClaw
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1116
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 12:22:39 (permalink)
    SuperG
    Does anybody besides VSL and Cubases make use if dedicated event busses? Info via google seems to be a bit slim here.

ProTools I believe has a form of it.

I like Cubase for it's Midi implementation stuff - primarily why I use it.

I love Sonar for it's easy and audio recording but when it comes to midi events, piano roll I find other DAWs have better features that are easier and quicker to use.
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 16:29:56 (permalink)
    Watching the video in the deleted thread, I noticed that Cubase now had VCA channels. VCA channels are one of the Pro Tools features you only get in the HD version, so I was curious about it.

What I couldn't figure out is what purpose they really serve. Judging form that Cubase video, all that they do is make up for the fact that apparently, you cannot apply operations to a bunch of faders by simply selecting those faders and moving one up or down - like one would do in Sonar or Logic.

Anyone knows what I'm missing? Is that really just a case of creating an extra set of hoops to jump through to fix a problem resulting of bad design?

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    backwoods
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 16:33:57 (permalink)
    I can never figure out what they are talking about either Rain. I think it means the bus fader proportions stay intact or something weird like that. Apparently it's a big deal. I think Sequoia has the same system.
    Milton
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 16:51:05 (permalink)
    Yeah Rain. In Sonar I just select the channels I want to group and either make a group for them or send their outputs to a bus track. Then all of the channels "relative" levels remain, well, relative! I can still go back and re-adjust individual tracks within the group or their individual tracks. So why would someone need a VCA channel in the first place? However, Cubase definitely has improved their audio engine for lower buffer/latency/performance. And features such as , Re-record mode, chord track, and chord pad are awesome. Hope Sonar X4 at least reworks the audio engine like Cubase 8 Pro and Protools AAX has done. My favorite request is for Sonar X4 to implement a "re-record" type of mode. It's uninspiring (gets me out of the groove) to have to stop the transport, undo the last current recording, and press record again in Sonar when I could just hit the record button once and the last take is deleted, the track is rearmed, and the transport begins recording from where you started recording of the last take (I record myself on the guitar and also am the recording engineer). I think half of Cubase is good improvements and the other half is marketing "bait". My 2 cents!

ADK Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell Processor overclocked to 4.2GHz, 32Gb RAM, SSD drives, Windows 10, Lynx Aurora 8 Thunderbolt Converter, FOCAL Be6 Reference monitors, SONAR Platinum @24bit 96KHz, KONTAKT 5, Vienna Symphonic Libraries, VSL Ensemble Pro, Superior Drummer, Trillian, Ozone 7 Advanced, RX5
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 17:01:10 (permalink)
    Someone asked for a re-record script a while back, here is the AutoHotkey script I wrote bound to Windows+R
    #r:: send {Space}^zr
    someone else wanted a re-record script while loop recording, bound to Windows+T looks like this
    #t:: send {Space}^{Home}r

dmbaer
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 17:22:40 (permalink)
    Milton
    So why would someone need a VCA channel in the first place?

What we may be overlooking here (I really don't know one way or the other) is that the VCA feature may really come into its own when automation comes into the picture.  If you can automate the fader on individual channels and also automate the fader on the combined channel in a way that one automation doesn't step on the toes of the other, then maybe that's what all the excitement is about?
    Sandmännchen
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 17:41:58 (permalink)
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/vcagroups.htm

Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP,  i7 3770, TC Impact Twin,  EMU 1616m PCIe,  3 Powercore PCI,  Sonar Producer X3e (64 Bit),  Windows 10 (64)

kson
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 540
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 18:13:59 (permalink)
    I have to admit, I am intrigued by the Chord features in Cubase.  Admittedly, even as a keyboard/piano player, I don't know everything and have occasional blocks.  I like the fact that I can work out my voicing and get recommendations through the chord assistant.  I'm tempted to dive in for that feature alone.

I hope Sonar incorporates this into one of their upcoming iterations along with the mastering suite from Studio One.  Perhaps because I'm grandfathered in, but I can't see using anything but Sonar as my go-to DAW.  I love the UI and the general workflow.  To me, they are one or two feature sets from being my end all.    
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 18:25:48 (permalink)
    Sandmännchen
    http://www.soundonsound.c...articles/vcagroups.htm

Yup, just read that one. Honestly, I can't seem to warp my brain around it or figure out how I would use it. Maybe it's because I'm not confroted to the actual shortcomings which make it desirable.

It seems to me like it's a port from the hardware paradigm which essentially has no reason to exist in the software world UNLESS the software mimics the shortcomings of hardware - which is something both Steinberg and Avid do every now and then (remember having to route tracks to audio channels to record and play back audio, in Cubase?).

My main  DAW allows me to slave any fader to any other fader - or to create a dummy fader with no in and out and use it as a lead fader, though I don't see why I'd go through the extra steps. Maybe after I spend some more time in PT, I'll get what this is all about. I can already see how grouping is unnecessarily complex and rigid, though.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    vintagevibe
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2446
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 18:29:49 (permalink)
    GIM Productions
    i have just read many happy customers for the "new" features that our dear Daw for a long time....
    More care in the Sonar marketing and could be the industry standard daw.....
    Again.....i don't understand
    No offence.......
    Greetings

You really need a more detailed knowledge of various features to understand why this is true but this is how I would answer the question...

Sonar was ahead in dockable windows and is still ahead in it's Melodyne integration.  Cubase 8 catches up with windowing and bounce in place but Melodyne integration is nice.  Cubase, however, is in another league altogether in MIDI and Notation.  Sonar is years behind in MIDI.  Just one of many examples:  MIDI Sends.. brilliant!   Cubase has the absolute best (IMO) DAW scoring tools on the market.  Cakewalk doesn't consider notation important at all.*  If you use a lot of MIDI and/or sample libraries Cubase has no match IMO.   Also tight integration with Steinberg interfaces and Yamaha keyboards is unmatched in the industry.  I can program my Yamaha MOXF as a VST inside Cubase.  My UR44 interface appears inside Cubase as well and, of course, both save settings with the Cubase file.  It's what everyone hoped would come out of the Roland/Cakewalk era.

*That's judging from their total inattention to it.  I suspect the real reason might be that they neglected it so long that they are afraid to dig that deep now.  Just a guess.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 18:41:02 (permalink)
    vintagevibe
    ...Cubase, however, is in another league altogether in MIDI and Notation.  Sonar is years behind in MIDI.  Just one of many examples:  MIDI Sends.. brilliant

I really have no interest in Cubase, even for the Chord thingy...   but MIDI sends?   Yeah, I would be all over that!!

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 19:01:44 (permalink)
    And best of all. Cubase does proper Wave editing in the same way Wave Lab works.. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Milton
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 21:41:12 (permalink)
    Thanks scook. I don't understand how to set up the script you wrote ("#r:: send {Space}^zr"), (I'm just a simple musician and not very techy). Would you please instruct me? (and I'm sure a lot of Sonar users would appreciate this as well) Sure would be great if I could only press one qwerty keyboard key to stop recording, delete the unwanted take, re-arm the track, and have the transport start to record again from where I started recording the 1st take, all in one press of one key. Thanks, Milton. 

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 22:22:03 (permalink)
    1) Download and install AutoHotkey. The 64bit default location is "C:\Program Files\AutoHotKey"
    2) Run AutoHotkey.exe (It may launch automatically I do not remember if it does)
    3) There will be in your notification area
    4) Right-click the to get this popup menu
    5) Select "Edit This Script"
    6) The default autohotkey script is loaded into notepad.
    7) Add the two lines
    #r:: send {Space}^zr
    #t:: send {Space}^{Home}r
    to bind the Windows+R and Windows+T key combinations to those two functions
    8) Save the file
    9) Right-click the again and select "Reload This Script" to make the two scripts active.

Anytime AutoHotkey is running and those key combinations are hit, the keystrokes will be sent.

AutoHotkey can be run automatically at boot up by adding a shortcut to "C:\Program Files\AutoHotKey\AutoHotkey.exe" into "yourUserDirectory\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

Primetime
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 22:40:12 (permalink)
    kson
    I have to admit, I am intrigued by the Chord features in Cubase.  Admittedly, even as a keyboard/piano player, I don't know everything and have occasional blocks.  I like the fact that I can work out my voicing and get recommendations through the chord assistant.  I'm tempted to dive in for that feature alone.

I hope Sonar incorporates this into one of their upcoming iterations along with the mastering suite from Studio One.  Perhaps because I'm grandfathered in, but I can't see using anything but Sonar as my go-to DAW.  I love the UI and the general workflow.  To me, they are one or two feature sets from being my end all.    

+1 for the mastering suite
    backwoods
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 22:42:57 (permalink)
    Cubase doesn't have a mastering suite and Neither does Studio One to the standard of Wavelab.

But it would be nice to have I must admit.
    Anderton
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 22:45:15 (permalink)
    Milton
    My favorite request is for Sonar X4 to implement a "re-record" type of mode. It's uninspiring (gets me out of the groove) to have to stop the transport, undo the last current recording, and press record again in Sonar when I could just hit the record button once and the last take is deleted, the track is rearmed, and the transport begins recording from where you started recording of the last take

Why not just use comp recording? The only difference is you would need to press stop before hitting record, but you could use AutoHotKey to create a macro that does that with one keypress. You could either restart at the beginning of the take, or where you left off if under Track View options, you de-select "On Stop, Rewind to Now Marker."

This won't delete tracks automatically, but previous tracks are muted so they won't interrupt your groove. You can delete the older tracks after you've finished laying down your part, or just let them sit there and delete them before you shut down the session.

swamptooth
    Re: Cubase 8......mah!! 2014/12/05 22:55:43 (permalink)
    Rain
    What I couldn't figure out is what purpose they really serve. Judging form that Cubase video, all that they do is make up for the fact that apparently, you cannot apply operations to a bunch of faders by simply selecting those faders and moving one up or down - like one would do in Sonar or Logic.

You actually can in cubase 7x - select faders and quick group them.  The difference is vca faders move in a logarithmic  fashion based on db spread as opposed to linearly as in cubase quick groups or sonar grouping.
    It's relative balance vs. absolute balance.

Arvid H. Peterson
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1