Is MIDI control capable via USB??

Author
Billy86
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 362
2015/09/28 20:19:40 (permalink)

Is MIDI control capable via USB??

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. And I hope this question isn't too dumb, but... 

I’m confused and hoping to be pointed in the right direction regarding using MIDI with Sonar Professional, which I just got and am eager to get set up and working. My next piece of gear is an audio interface, and my question deals with MIDI/no MIDI.
I have a Kurzweil SP 76 stage piano with MIDI capabilities. I also have a Baldwin RP 100 with both MIDI capabilities and a USB out. I also have a Roland TD-11KV digital drum kit, with both MIDI and USB connectivity.  My question is, can a digital musical instrument function as a MIDI control surface via a USB connection?

If not, then that ends my quandary over whether or not the interfaces I’m looking at have to have MIDI capabilities. There seems to be a slew of them out there that have no MIDI (there are also digital keys out there with no MIDI, but USB only) and I can’t understand why a piece of gear so key to interfacing with a DAW like Sonar would not have MIDI, especially given the power and flexibility.

I'm looking at two-channel interfaces and am checking out the usual suspects: M-Audio, Presonus, Focusrite, Tascam, Roland. My budget is around $150, and it all comes down to MIDI or not, and whether or not the interfaces are USB 2.0. 

Thanks for any help and direction! I’ve found y’all very generous and helpful.
Billy

14 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/28 20:52:26 (permalink)
    For me, if you have any gear that has real MIDI conectivity then you should make sure your interface has the ports. Most good ones do so it's kinda dumb not to add that feature to your list. 
    The differance is that if a keyboard or any midi device uses USB only, then that has to have it's own MIDI drivers for it to function. 
    If the device has DIN midi then your audio interfaces drivers handle the MIDI. 
    So in you situation plug the SP 76 in to your interfaces MIDI ports then the other 2 devices can use the USB connections. That way all 3 will be availlable in Sonar as input devices at all times. 

There's no differance in midi functions between USB or DIN Midi connections. Some say USB can be faster. Myself I've not noticed a differance as I use both. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 04:38:05 (permalink)
    You can always get cheap (even under $10) MIDI to USB converter. There is no signal "quality" (if it works at all), latency is not perceptible (MIDI standard is slow) , most cheap cables work throw standard MS driver.
    So I would not exclude 2i2 just because it has no MIDI, but if you have/plan e-guitar, that is not the best choice.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 09:58:35 (permalink)
    MIDI controllers can certainly function with a USB connection, if that connection is set up to carry MIDI messages. Most keyboard USB connections transfer USB-MIDI data only (which contains additional identifier data to what the standard USB stream includes), but it is possible to use USB to transfer audio data as well. Standard serial MIDI (5-pin DIN) transmits one 8 bit event after the other over 16 channels limited to 31.25 Kbits/sec, so it is not impossible to stretch out a stream of notes or controller messages so that an audible lag is generated. The transfer rate of USB is dramatically faster than the direct MIDI standard. That allows the MIDI stream to be moved to buffers at both ends faster as well, and should allow a lot more data transfer without arpeggiation of simultaneous notes. In fact the MIDI-USB standard allows virtual MIDI cables, so that the 16 channel limit can be broken. The actual performance is going to depend on how the manufacturer implements it.

But I agree that if you have DIN connections as an additional option on your equipment, it is not a bad idea to get a DIN MIDI interface as well, by itself or built into an audio interface. The DIN MIDI spec is likely to be supported for a long time, but it is not rare for the maker of a USB enabled controller to go out of business or stop writing drivers for new versions of your operating system. Without controller specific drivers you may not be able to get USB to work. But a cheap MIDI to USB convertor with its own current OS drivers would still be able to read and transfer MIDI from your DIN connected controller. Of course if you only have a DIN connector you have no option. 

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/midi10.pdf

DRanck
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 608
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 10:37:31 (permalink)
    The question is do your piano and drum kit have USB midi connectors? If they do, you should be set. If not, you'll need a midi interface and cables. Many inexpensive audio interfaces also have midi ports.

My Sound Cloud
    Website
    Youtube Channel
    The way that I've always gone about making music, the rule of thumb, has just been to make what I love.
    Amy Lee

Sonar Pro 64 (Newburyport), Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V,  32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Samsung USB 3.0 SSD, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video 2GB, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen, Gateway 23" monitor, Presonus USB Audio Interface, Surface Pro 2 w/ Xotopad as a control surface
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 12:57:34 (permalink)
    I was faced with the same dilemma when I left an XP desktop and wound up getting a Win 8 lap top … 
    Wound up looking around for a USB audio interface and had to decide if getting one with midi was the right choice or not. 
    Due to finances I was real tempted to pull the trigger on a 2i2 …I'm glad I didn't and I wound up getting the 2i4 … 
    A few days ago I wound up picking up an older 76 keyboard workstation dirt cheap …this thing only has midi no usb …
    Now it happens to be true that I could run a midi to USB cable if I wanted to , but then I would have to deal with limited USB ports on my lap top ….
    My suggestion is if you are able to bump up and find an extra 40 or 50 bucks to get a USB interface with midi , you may be happier in the long run …

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Billy86
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 13:08:17 (permalink)
    Wow. Thanks for all the input and considerations. If an instrument has USB connections -- the Kurzweil SP 76 is about 10 years old and the Baldwin KP 100 is about 15 years old -- can I assume it is a "MIDI-USB" capable -- going back that far? The manuals only reference that as a "computer connection." The Roland kit is only about 2 years old, so I'm assuming it is MIDI-USB capable. 

Come to think of it, azslow3, I have a Breedlove Pursuit Concert AE guitar with both 1/4" and USB outs. I think I'll go with an interface with MIDI connections to remove any doubt and provide the most flexibility. 
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 15:03:29 (permalink)
    Billy86
    Wow. Thanks for all the input and considerations. If an instrument has USB connections -- the Kurzweil SP 76 is about 10 years old and the Baldwin KP 100 is about 15 years old -- can I assume it is a "MIDI-USB" capable -- going back that far? The manuals only reference that as a "computer connection." The Roland kit is only about 2 years old, so I'm assuming it is MIDI-USB capable. 

Kurzweil has no USB, so MIDI to USB solution is required (extra converter or in audio interface)

TD11 has drivers for all Windows versions (up to 10). MIDI and audio (ASIO, so you can reasonably good use it with Sonar or Standalone Drum VST even without extra audio interface). I have it, so that is not theoretical statement.

It is hard to predict either Baldwin will work. But since you have computer, you can just connect Baldwin and see either you get one more "MIDI device" in the list.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 15:24:49 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz
    I was faced with the same dilemma when I left an XP desktop and wound up getting a Win 8 lap top … 
    Wound up looking around for a USB audio interface and had to decide if getting one with midi was the right choice or not. 

I find a single 4-port unpowered USB hub handles a MOTU MIDI interface (with 5 ports, all in use), MS-20mini, a sequencer and a controller keyboard without problems. Most of the connected stuff only uses one channel each, so I don't know how well things would scale if I needed to push lots of channels out of each MIDI port, but unless lots of multi-timbral synths are involved that's a pretty unlikely scenario I would think.

USB bandwidth is huge compared to MIDI's requirements.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 16:13:53 (permalink)
    tlw
    kennywtelejazz

I find a single 4-port unpowered USB hub handles a MOTU MIDI interface (with 5 ports, all in use), MS-20mini, a sequencer and a controller keyboard without problems. Most of the connected stuff only uses one channel each, so I don't know how well things would scale if I needed to push lots of channels out of each MIDI port, but unless lots of multi-timbral synths are involved that's a pretty unlikely scenario I would think.

USB bandwidth is huge compared to MIDI's requirements.

That may work for you and it sounds pretty cool actually ….  

Which MOTU interface are you talking about ? is it Midi only or does it also do audio sound card duty also ?
    Is it in the OP stated price range ? If it's Midi only why the hell are you choosing to misquote my post to begin with ? 

I thought the OP was asking for an audio card on the cheap and whether he needs to get one with Midi or can he pass on that feature to keep the card in a select price range and just hook up his Keys w USB 
    I'm not sure why you quoted me cafeteria style ? 
    Is this thread about an inexpensive audio card and whether or not it needs to include Midi ? or is it not ?

I never once said it couldn't be done w out having midi in the USB sound card interface  …
    As far as running a non powered hub goes , sure I have gotten decent results running my M Audio USB controller connected to a non powered hub , on the same hub there is also a mouse , an external powered HD in an enclosure , an external USB HD that is powered by the USB port and a thumb drive connected …
    In my case all attempts at running my 2i4 on a hub has failed miserably .It simply will not play nice on a hub  
    I have to use up one dedicated USB port to run it w out problems and my current lap top only has 2 USB slots ……

Now it may be the brand card I have , but if I got to go there and use up a whole USB port for my soundcard you better believe I'm gonna want to have midi on the sound card 

All I told the OP was if he could swing an extra 50 bucks he would have a lot more options for audio and Midi combined 

Kenny
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/09/29 19:01:52

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

Billy86
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 20:09:05 (permalink)
    Hi. OP here. I only know enough about what digital information can travel over what kind of connection to get myself in trouble. The basic question was can a USB keyboard be a MIDI controller. I've learned the answer is yes, but doing so introduces other connectivity complications with finite ports (MIDI or otherwise) available. Didn't think of that originally. Great point. 

Seems clear to me that the best thing to do for all the reasons discussed is go the extra $50 and get an interface with MIDI. Trying to keep it simple, with out hubs and driver worries and cables/adapter, etc. Thanks to everyone who weighed in! Now all this newbie needs to do is figure out how to get MIDI working in Sonar! :) 
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/29 22:32:13 (permalink)
    Billy86
    Hi. OP here. I only know enough about what digital information can travel over what kind of connection to get myself in trouble. The basic question was can a USB keyboard be a MIDI controller. I've learned the answer is yes, but doing so introduces other connectivity complications with finite ports (MIDI or otherwise) available. Didn't think of that originally. Great point. 

Seems clear to me that the best thing to do for all the reasons discussed is go the extra $50 and get an interface with MIDI. Trying to keep it simple, with out hubs and driver worries and cables/adapter, etc. Thanks to everyone who weighed in! Now all this newbie needs to do is figure out how to get MIDI working in Sonar! :) 

Billy86
    I just want to let you know that it was not my intention to bring bad vibes to your thread …
    In another day or two the solid two months of construction that I have had to put-up with every day will end at my residence ….please accept my apologies for beating a war drum …

The biggest reason why a person needs a decent sound card is because it will determine what type of sample rates and buffer sizes you will be able to record and render your music at ….
    This is important when you are using midi because it will determine what type or the amount of latency you will have to contend with ….
    the better the drivers and the lower you can set the buffer size  = the less latency you will experience when you are playing and recording your midi keyboard …
    Early on in a song or a project it is very likely that you can set the buffer very low and not have any drop puts or audio artifacts …once your CPU starts  exhibiting any signs of strain w very low buffer sizes it becomes a fact of life that you will have to increase the buffer size to accommodate the VST synths, the audio tracks the plugs , or "the whole enchilada"

A dirty little fact or observation  … the truth of the matter is a person does not have to buy an audio card w Midi if they don't want to or if they can't afford it ….it is perfectly acceptable to record and use a Midi controller VIA the USB route ….all this still hinges on what I have said before …the better the drivers and the lower you can set the buffer size  = the less latency you will experience when you are playing and recording your midi keyboard …
    A simple fact of life is a midi keyboard connected VIA USB will benefit greatly from the quality of the drivers of the audio interface 
    In SONAR you will be able to set your preferences and find what works best for you ….

As you have surmised already from some of the comments in your thread , a peripheral issue is gonna be about dealing with the availability of resourses for current needs and possible future needs ….routing, ports cables ect ect …
    FWIW…I  personally I grew tired of having to use a 49 Key Midi controller that was Midi and USB …
    I wanted a full size keyboard so I wound up scoring dirt cheap an older 76 key synth workstation that was Midi out only w no USB ….
    Having the Midi ports available on my sound card because I thought ahead for what my needs may be means I don't have to BS around …
    This may not mean that much to most people now a days, but Old Synths are always in  look at how many VST plugs that are out that emulate them ….
    Trust me man ,
    if you happen to be walking by a garage sale and somebody lets you score a DX 7 or any number of old synths that don't have USB conectivity and they are Midi only for 40 bucks , you are still gonna want to plug that bad boy into your rig the second you get home

Kenny 

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2015/09/29 22:52:45

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Billy86
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/09/30 14:29:38 (permalink)
    Kenny... no worries! I'm digging the passion and insights members bring!

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort
    DrLumen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 621
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/10/12 15:59:55 (permalink)
    Billy, in short yes a USB keyboard can be a midi controller if the driver supports it. For example, I have a Midisport 2x4 interface that I use for MIDI DIN routing (traditional MIDI interface) but it connects to the computer via USB and is seen in Sonar as a midi device once the drivers are loaded.

I do it this way so I can play my MIDI keyboard (that has both MIDI and USB ports) to control a MIDI synth module without having to power up the computer and start Sonar. But it also allows Sonar to see it all as well with the push of a button.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
    Billy86
    Re: Is MIDI control capable via USB?? 2015/10/12 17:22:00 (permalink)
    Hey, DrLumen. Makes sense! Thanks for the response.

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1