Korg NanoKontrol2 pan knob issue using Mackie Control (X3e)

Author
csnack
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
2015/11/05 09:02:49 (permalink)

Korg NanoKontrol2 pan knob issue using Mackie Control (X3e)

Hi, I just got a NanoKontrol2 to use with sonar X3e and I've got it setup in X3 using the Mackie Control protocol as the Control Surface as suggested by many including Sweetwater - and it works fine except for the pan knob assignment; the NanoKontrol2 will move the pan knob in Sonar, but the pan knob in Sonar is not in proper sync with the knob on the NanoKontrol.. like when the NanoKontrol pan knob is at 12:00 then the pan knob in Sonar is somewhere around 2:00-3:00.. and the pan knob in Sonar also doesn't move smoothly the whole way, but it quickly jumps when it's almost all the way hard left or hard right it just quickly jumps the rest of the way. The faders seem smooth.. there seems to be just this pan knob sync issue between Sonar and the NanoKontrol2. This happen to anyone and any idea how to fix? Many thanks.

I will add that in CC mode things seems to program up just fine. It is just this Mackie Control protocol, which would be nice to use.
post edited by csnack - 2015/11/06 01:05:15

5 Replies Related Threads

mattbroiler
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Korg NanoKontrol2 pan knob issue using Mackie Control (X3e) 2016/05/18 19:58:53 (permalink)
    I have the same problem did you ever find a fix for this? I could swear the panning worked correctly in the beginning. I have a NanoKontrol1 that does not have the same issue but two different Nano2's when connected to Platinum and X3 both do the same thing.
    It's kind of annoying but I am guessing probably the solution lies with Korg not Cakewalk.
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Korg NanoKontrol2 pan knob issue using Mackie Control (X3e) 2016/05/19 05:09:21 (permalink)
    mattbroiler@yahoo.com
    It's kind of annoying but I am guessing probably the solution lies with Korg not Cakewalk.

I also guess that is Korg issue. "Real" Mackie device has endless encoders (they send  +1/-1 only when turned right/left), Korg has normal knob (it physically produce continuous value is some range, normally mapped to 0-127). And so to emulate Mackie, Korg should somehow convert 0-127 to +1/-1, and from your observation they are doing so right in NK2. That problem does not exists for Faders, which are continuous on Mackie (with better resolution and motorized, but that is not so different).

In any case, you can get more out of Korg using my plug-in (see the signature) then using Mackie emulation. I have seen success reports, but there is no ready to use preset. Someone has to be the first... Begin with "Startup preset" (there is a video), it will not take long (and cost you nothing). You will instantly get basic functionality (including ACT dynamic mapping for controlling effects/instruments) and can add advanced features (LEDs, unusual commands, etc) later (I can help with that).

My personal favorite features for simple devices are several different modes for Knobs. Especially "instant curved" mapping combined with "endless imitation". The effect is almost equivalent to having real endless encoders, without catching first and without big jumps. The same knob with Shift can be used for the final fine tuning.

If you add any phone/tablet to the setup, you can have "hi resolution touch sensitive display" which work in cooperation with NK2 (show parameter/track names, values, operation mode as well as extra controls).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    mattbroiler
    Re: Korg NanoKontrol2 pan knob issue using Mackie Control (X3e) 2016/05/19 06:17:53 (permalink)
    hey thanks for the detailed reply I was not expecting a quick response to an old thread/ issue.
    I will read up on your site looks like a lot of good info there. Thanks!
    mattbroiler
    Re: Korg NanoKontrol2 pan knob issue using Mackie Control (X3e) 2016/05/19 09:42:34 (permalink)
    So far pretty good setting up the Korg NK2 with AZcontrol, it's tedious at first but working pretty well after figuring out the basics and doing some adjusting.
    The panning works in a normal way so that's a big improvement already! Transport setup was a bit odd but that's mostly me trying to figure out how to use the software. There are many possibilities once parameters are assigned. I'm thinking about mapping another unit to control fx plugins among other things - looking forward to working with this some more!
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Korg NanoKontrol2 pan knob issue using Mackie Control (X3e) 2016/05/19 20:19:55 (permalink)
    If you have specified more the "0" for "The number of ACT banks" during preset generation, you just need to assign "Next mode" button to get FX control. I know that on NK2 the number of general buttons is limited. But some solution can be found ("long press" to change the mode while "short press" for something else). That is not a trivial task till you get "deep experience" with AZCtrl. If you want (and have time), we can continue on my forum, with step by step, function by function discussion. Check BCR2000 thread(s) how that works... as the result, it is at the moment probably the best control surface for Sonar. But MarKo had to spend many weeks to achieve that

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1