Helpful ReplyApollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP!

Author
detrocky
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2016/04/05 18:02:51 (permalink)

Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP!

Hello, my Apollo Twin duo USB arrived.  I installed the software, however, I have connection with the Apollo console and the twin interface, but when I open Sonar Platinum (1 year member) and I cant seem to play it, or even worse, I cant seem to find the interface listed in the DAW.  Im using the ASIO 4all driver, and it worked fine with M-audio before.  After my Twin initiates once the laptop loads, a popup that reads "Apollo Twin requires SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to operate properly".  My device manager USB ports show two listed 3.0 USB.  My (2) left side USB ports have SS on the side (but are not blue in color), and so does my (1) right side USB port show SS.  Can anyone help?  I would really like to try out my new interface with Sonar (biting nails).  I have a 16 gb ram, 2 Tb harddrive HP, with three USB's.  Thankyou for any assistance
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/05 20:36:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby detrocky 2016/04/07 09:46:39
boy do I have some good news for you<G>...

First, uninstall ASIO4ALL - you don't need it, and in this case it may be causing conflicts.

Second, reboot. No, you shouldn't have to, but you do.

Third, fire up Sonar and select ASIO as the driver model, and then select the Apollo ins and outs.

You can also select ASIO instead of ASIO4All without uninstalling, and maybe do that  just as a quick test, but I would remove ASIO4All anyway. It is known to cause problems in some specific cases. I used to use it to aggregate my ASIO drivers, but it added too much latency, and it did cause problems, although I can't remember exactly what anymore (situational amnesia can be a good thing<G>!)

Have fun, write back when you get it working, and whatever you do, don't demo the plug-ins till you have some cash lying around... they are addictive!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
detrocky
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/05 23:04:41 (permalink)
Hey Bill, I thankyou for the hope you gave me, but when I uninstalled the ASIO4all, it took away all the driver information in my DAW.  I dont quite understand because I thought the Apollo Twin installed drivers that my DAw would recognize and have.  But they dont.  At this time, I cant play any sound unless I reinstall the ASIO4all or maybe another ASIO.  When I click on ASIO in my DAW preferences, there is no playback timing master.  It shows none.  Is there another online place where I can download ASIO to connect with my Apollo.  If you can help me resolve this, I would be very greatful.  Looks like your the only person so far who can help.
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/06 01:57:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby detrocky 2016/04/07 09:46:30
Bill is absolutely right.
ASIO-4-ALL is crap (compared to a proper ASIO driver).

I'd start with a clean slate.
Get rid of everything ASIO-4-ALL (uninstall, remove folders, and remove registry entries)
Uninstall the Apollo Twin Duo USB drivers.
Restart the machine... and reload the Twin Duo USB drivers.
Now, open your DAW apps (one at a time) and select the Twin Duo as the ASIO device.
Once that's done, the individual I/O ports will show up.

Enjoy the Twin Duo
Forget ASIO-4-ALL ever existed.  
You'll never need it... nor want it

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
detrocky
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/06 10:49:39 (permalink)
I have windows 7 pro, do I uninstall the apollo drivers in Device manager, and if so, can I go back to device manager to reinstall the drivers after the reboot?  Thanks for your time Jim. 
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/06 11:31:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby detrocky 2016/04/07 09:46:11
Uninstall drivers via device manager. You might also want to uninstall any programs associated with those drivers as well. Then reboot and reinstall all the Apollo driver software from scratch.
Jim Roseberry
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/06 12:31:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby detrocky 2016/04/07 09:46:20
A full (manual) uninstall is what I'd recommend.

Go into Control Panel>Programs And Features... and use the uninstall routine.
Next, delete all associated folders.
Finally, go into the registry under these entries... and delete anything ASIO-4-ALL and Apollo Twin related.
  • HKCU>Software
  • HCLM>Software
Reboot the machine... and you'll be starting with a clean slate.

Connect the Twin Duo to an Intel USB3 port
Install the Apollo Twin Duo drivers

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
detrocky
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/06 14:20:48 (permalink)
Man u guys sound like you know what your saying, but im worried about deleting files that I dont know much about. I hate to ask, but it would be better for me to to chat one on one.  If its possible, I would really appreciate it.  Im spending more time fighting with this than I would like.  I just hate to mess something up with my pc ignorance.  If you can chat via phone, my email is [link=mailto:detectivefontenot@yahoo.com,]detectivefontenot@yahoo.com,[/link] or facebook, Rocky Fontenot (Kinder, La), to let me know.  Thanks again, but I really dont want to start deleting things unless someone could walk me through.  Sorry about that.
Jim Roseberry
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/06 14:52:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby detrocky 2016/04/07 09:46:54
In the Registry, only go to these areas:
  • HKeyCurrentUser>Software (delete references to ASIO-4-ALL and USB Twin)
  • HHeyLocalMachine>Software (delete references to ASIO-4-ALL and USB Twin)
You won't harm anything by doing so...   

No worries in deleting related folders on the boot drive.
Anything the Twin Duo needs will be installed with the new (clean) install.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
detrocky
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/06 16:40:30 (permalink)
Do you think I should delete the m-audio file, its in the same location and was using the asio4all driver to operate in my DAW?

detrocky
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/06 17:45:34 (permalink)
I tried the procedures to no avail.  I had a Cakewalk technician look through my pc and try to figure out the problem.  He tried different things but could not get Sonar to recognize the twin.  I have sent a request to UAD for support, but havent heard anything yet.  I eve called the support line but I was on hold for so long, I ended up leaving my phone number for them to call me.  I just dont understand how the console is working hand in hand with the twin, but Sonar is not.  If there are any other suggestions, Im open, but am getting so discouraged at this point.  I wish Platinum had a search for device function, maybe that would have done it for me.  Thanks again Jim and Bill  
detrocky
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2016/04/06 20:43:53 (permalink)
UAD support, Daniel, called me.  Upon his investigation, he found my 3.0 SS USB port needed updated (last update 10/25/15).  Without the USB port update at HP.com, my pc was making errors with the Apollo and causing Sonar not have access to my driver info.  After a few adjustments and getting my pc to recognize Apollo in the sound control panel, I uninstalled software, and reinstalled it.  Opened Sonar and re set the ASIO driver mode.  Everything was there relating to Apollo.  And for Jim and Bill, I have "0" ASIO4all in my pc now, and it is running very nicely.  Thanks to both of you.  God Bless.   Rocky Fontenot
JustGotPaid
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 628
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2017/05/28 21:09:51 (permalink)
I've had an Apollo Twin Due since December and it's been nothing but trouble. I'm getting rid of it.

Sonar Platinum

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2017/05/29 19:06:05 (permalink)
Glad you got that, I was going to say in the past Asio4all often caused conflicts and it has a large hate group amoung forum members. 
I would never recommend installing it if your vendor has proper ASIO drivers. Where it is useful is with using on board sound or with a product that came with no drivers like a USB mike. 

I have a DAW set up in my office at work where I run Home Studio and just edit midi into backing tracks to use here for sing a longs. I was using WASAPI without issue but this thing about asio4all came up on the forum (again)  and I thought, what the heck, lets see if this is all true or BS. So I downloaded Asio4all and ran a few tests. It outperforms WASAPI no questions. It is like having a real ASIO driver, at least on this laptop. Might not work on all systems. Lower latency and reported accurately so the offset loopback test scored 100% in sync. WASAPI is out of sync for overdubs. 

The other thing it gets bashed for is conflicting with real ASIO drivers. So I brought in my Scarlett 6i6, installed the drivers and had no issue what so ever. I could easily switch between asio4all or the Scarlett ASIO. It worked but with limitations. Under asio4all I lost my 3/4 and SPDIF in/outs. But  I think I could have gone in and configured this. 

So my take- Asio4all is actually good software and does what it does. It is like most software under constant updates so the asio4all we all hated 5 years ago has improved and seems to be mature and stable. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2017/05/30 14:40:24 (permalink)
My Apollo Twin USB worked right outta the box, I have a Dell XPS about 1 year old with two USB 3 ports .

I love the fact you can process a few of the UAD preamps through the hardware, I just wish they would allow more of them.

Now every once in a blue moon the detecting apollo hardware and connection dialog dont invoke, but a reboot of the machine takes care of that. It ususally connects in about one minute of  signing into win10 and opening to the desktop

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

detrocky
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2017/05/30 19:14:56 (permalink)
Well, I just read what I had posted last December, and boy was I frustrated.  But all is well now, and I really love my Apollo Twin Duo.  Everything works very well, and I guess, I just had to get the kinks out.  Not long after I posted this, I was contacted by a representative Tech, and he walked me through everything until all was good.  It was great to finally get the Apollo running like I knew it could have.  If my memory serves me right, my main problem was that my USB 3 port needed to be updated and then everything fell into place.  Thanks again for all the feedback, and Im kinda embarrassed by how my post sounded so angry.  I guess I was so frustrated, I dont even remember posting it in that way.  Thumbs up for this site and all who participate.
Billy Buck
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2101
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2017/05/30 21:31:01 (permalink)
detrocky
If my memory serves me right, my main problem was that my USB 3 port needed to be updated and then everything fell into place.  

From my experience having a compatible USB3 port is the main issue most folks have when first using an Apollo USB.
Not only do you need a working USB3 port, but a compatible one as well. There are some USB3 chipsets that don't play well with the Apollo USB and will never work as expected. Sometimes, all it takes is to upgrade the USB3 drivers for the motherboard. Sometimes you need to downgrade and use an older USB3 driver. ASIO4ALL is not compatible should never be used with the Apollo USB. The Apollo is not only an audio device but a DSP device as well. The audio & DSP work hand in hand.
I've had my Apollo USB for about 14 months now. It worked right out of the box with my self-built DAW. For kicks, I even tried it on an old Dell i5 D630 laptop running Win 7 and it worked there as well. Although it did take a long time to finalize the UAD install (about 40 minutes) that I almost gave up on it. I had no intention of using it with the laptop, but I was curious if it would even work on an older laptop running Win 7. 
I have since acquired a Satellite OCTO USB for extra DSP and have both the Apollo & Satellite running off of the same pair of USB3 ports on the back of my i7 4770k/Win 10 x64 Pro DAW without any issues.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Apollo Twin USB duo Daw connection HELP! 2017/06/03 22:34:34 (permalink)
I would like to get an Apollo unit as it will allow me to have a good external sound device and the ability to use UAD plug-ins at the same time. 

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1