Author
WayneGroome
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2016/08/01 13:11:21 (permalink)

Imported project won't play

Hi
Hoping someone can help.
When importing an old project (written in Sonar Producer X1) it appears but won't play. I get the message; 'Unable to open audio device. Device may not support the current projects audio format or may be in use.'
This happens whether I use Sonar X1 or the demo professional I've downloaded.
It's happened since I put in a new soundcard (which I did to satisfy Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7). Any new recording is okay as are all other sounds (internet, Windows Media Player etc).
I guess it could be the settings of the soundcard and have tried different settings but with no luck. I guess if I knew exactly what settings were used in the original recording it would help but don't know how to find them.
If anyone can offer suggestions and keep it really simple (because I have really basic IT knowledge/understanding) I'd be grateful.
My Soundcard is a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Rx (latest Windows drivers updated). It was an EMU 0404 pcie.
I changed it because there were no drivers to support Win 10 and I was getting a frequent 'darlek noise' on all programmes which would fix when using trouble-shooter but happened so often I began to the think the Darleks may actually be invading.
Thanks
Wayne   
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 05:10:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby WayneGroome 2016/08/03 05:15:28
That message often means you have SONAR and the audio interface set to different sample rates. SB cards often default to 48 kHz. In DAW-work, I'd say moving from E-mu to SB is a step backwards, even though they are both products of Creative. But I understand that sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do :o) I won't find suitable drivers for my E-MU either, when it passes away.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
WayneGroome
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 10:30:09 (permalink)
Hi Kalle
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I've already tried 48 and 44.1 and tried adjusting playback AO buffer size from 256 to 512.
Additionally I've tried adjusting the audio driver bit depth between 16 and 24. The weird thing is although I can go to; Utilities; Change Audio Format and change it to 24 from 16 (where it's set) it won't change in the Preferences; Audio Driver Setting where it's greyed out at 16. The card is 24 bit (can't fathom how to change that.
On the other hand I can record and play new recordings, I just can't get previous projects (before soundcard Audigy Rx) to play.
Right now it's impossible to tell which will spontaneously combust first; the soundcard, sonar or my brain.
All advice gratefully received.
Regards
Wayne 
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 11:11:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby WayneGroome 2016/08/03 05:15:55
Here we go again. Sorry but it's very well documented that Creative cards do not play well with Sonar. I myself tried for a few years with my Audigy II card. I ended up using MME mode which is terrible. 
Start shoping for a proper audio interface. There are some good chioces starting at $150 these days. 
Even if you get it to work what I found was my tracks were always offset and therefore not in sync. 
The bottom line is Creatives drivers are very baddly done. This is most likelly why your getting the message. Sonar is just having trouble using the drivers. 
Try using WDM mode as that will bypass the SB asio drivers. Switch and run the wave profiler. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 11:18:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby WayneGroome 2016/08/03 05:16:04
When the drop down for driver bit depth is grayed out in SONAR Preferences it means the driver had a fixed bit depth. A different driver might run at a different bit depth. Try experimenting with different driver modes in SONAR Preferences Audio > Playback and Recording.
WayneGroome
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 11:28:08 (permalink)
Hi Cactus Music/Johnny V
Thanks and I think my initial thoughts about Cakewalk and Creative are; Holy comoly, Friggin frigs and Great Galloots plus other less pleasant expressions. Sonar's a good product but customer service has left more than a little to be desired - something I'm seem comments on elsewhere.
Would you mind offering a little more advice? At least the Audigy Rx has removed the dalek sound I frequently got (on any non DAW sound) after upgrading to Windows 10.
I might bite the bullet and go the way of an external soundcard but have no idea how that works/fails to work with an internal soundcard as well as an external mixer MACKIE 802 VLZ3 separate to my DAW.
Any advice. Really don't want to pay out for anything else that doesn't meet my needs.
Suspect my skills and needs are a little more basic that yours (famous in my own house, not on stage).
Thanks
Wayne
WayneGroome
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 11:29:41 (permalink)
Hi Scook
Thanks. Will experiment and may well try out a new brain whilst at it.
Wayne 
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 11:38:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby WayneGroome 2016/08/03 05:16:16
An external interface works just like the internal card except the communication to the device is usually through a USB port and not the PC internal bus. An external interface can run all Windows audio including the DAW or the internal card handle Windows and the external handle the DAW only. The problem with the latter is the connection to the audio monitors. It is often more convenient to let everything use the external interface and hook up headphones and speakers to it. Any external hardware like the mixer would connect to ports on the external interface.
WayneGroome
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 11:45:36 (permalink)
Thanks, Scook.
Wayne
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 18:55:45 (permalink)
WayneGroome
Sonar's a good product but customer service has left more than a little to be desired - something I'm seem comments on elsewhere.

your tech support for X1 has expired long ago and I don't believe there is support for Sonar Demo's either.
im not sure if that's what your referring to im just letting you know if you did put in a ticket, there's a good chance that's why they haven't responded.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Imported project won't play 2016/08/02 19:08:03 (permalink)
I think majority of Sonar users are using USB interfaces. There are a few older PCI cards around that have kept up to date with drivers, but PCI cards are not common anymore. I loved the idea of the Audigy as most of the connections where right there on the front of the PC tower.
But as I found out and have read many posts here that Creative falls short with the ASIO drivers. They work great for playback and even I had no problem recording old records and cassettes using Wave Lab or Sound Forge. But the minute I tried overdubbing tracks with Cakewalk guitar studio it all sounded off> Investigation thanks to this forum pointed out that my offset was always drifting around and audio tracks were never lined up in sync.
And many have checked in like you and always seems to be problems with any Creative cards.

My set up has changed a few times and I'm on my 3rd external USB interface. I still use my Tascam for live recordings as it has 16 inputs. But for my self in the studio I have everything I need with the Scarlett 6i6. It has 2 Combo jacks that take anything, and then 2 line inputs on the back patched to outboard pre amps. This is where one could patch in a mixer.

I also use an old Yamaha 01V digital mixer into the SPDIF so that's 6 possible inputs.
I use a little Mackie mix 8 mixer for my headphone monitoring.

I leave most stuff always plugged in and ready to go. Vocals, Bass, Acoustic DI'd and guitar amp miked.
I can also use USB from my Blackstar amp but that requires switching to WDM mode briefly as ASIO only does 1 device at a time.  
The old 01v is used to patch a few old synths and drum machine which I rarely use anymore. Mostly it patches in my Yamaha DX digital drum kit. A mixer is a great tool in a studio so make sure to buy an interface that has the proper connections.
You'll find better stability with a good quality interface running.

post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/08/02 19:37:02

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1